New Kitchen Advice

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are getting a new kitchen in the next few months. Currently we are working with Wren and Howdens looking to trade them off against each other.

Any experience, good or bad, with either Wren or Howdens?

Happy to receive any pointers or top tips on getting a new kitchen. ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Howdens kitchen has been great but it is all the installer. The designer may have some great ideas but it is the fitter who brings it to life and has to cash the cheques that the designer has written. I don't think half the things out in our odd shaped kitchen would have worked with a less talented and creative fitter.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with above .. it's all about the fitters

My parents went Howdens but the fitter was amazing

It's like everything now days , carpet .. kitchens, the air con I've had fitted today, the show room will give you the talk and say how amazing it is and will look good but the fitters do all the work

Do you know any good fitters from friends? They could fit any kitchen you buy

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
We bought a house with a Howdens kitchen and the fitter wasn’t that great. We met him when between viewings and moving in a couple of panels broke and we got promised repairs by the previous owner as the fitter is his mate, but the repairs never happened. Luckily the g/f is in the kitchen game herself, and while we can’t afford any of her fitters she picks up enough on side to fix panels and adjust doors, even some caulking.
I would happily take a Howdens kitchen, but someone needs to recommend a decent fitter 1st.
We also got a floor which we think might be Howdens (looks like one in the catalogue) and I am happy when we finally have to replace it. Feels a bit like a wobble boards in a couple of places. Our best guess is that there is plywood underlay which isn’t strong 3nough.

We are getting a new Lamona oven installed tomorrow, the old one broke after 3+ years (3 with us plus how long it was in before). Needs a little bit of rewiring as they used minimum cable strengths before and we need higher rated ones these days.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
It might be worth investigating whether the carcasses come prebuilt with Wren. They do with Howdens. They are perceived to be stronger when they're not built onsite by the installer.

We have a Howdens one and the designer wasn't that great but I had a good idea of what we needed as I'd researched it to death. Stills seems OK 6 years in.

Do some research on appliances, especially the extractor hood. Howdens wanted to charge me over £1k for theirs but I got a good one online for £250 ish.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All about the fitter although he did say to avoid wrens as they had a tendency to come with bits missing.
We had quotes from Wickes, Wrens and Howdens and they all matched eachother so it's worth getting quotes in and see what they offer.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Currently having ours done by Howdens. We are being measured up next week and then my wife will pop down to check what she likes. The actual purchase will be made through our builder.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have had our last 2 kitchens from B&Q. The current one for 5 years and the one in our old house is still going strong after 20 years (seen pictures on Right Move :)). A few fitters we have had round for our new bathroom have said they won't fit B&Q but then they didn't even bother to get back to us with a quote so how reliable are they?:rolleyes:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We went with howdens mainly because of the carcasses. The quality of that kitchen is great, however I sourced my hasn’t done a very good job. It’s 100% about the fitter and if you’re looking for one I’d ask if you can possibly view any of his previous work.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went with Wren. Good design, quality units BUT their recommended fitter was a complete and utter numpty.

Nightmare time and Wren sorted with basically new cupboard fronts and trims throughout and the replacement fitter was brilliant.

As has been said - it is significantly about the quality of the fitter...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went with pre-built cabinets from Wren a couple of years back. Good quality and they look good to boot. My mate is a kitchen fitter so we got him in to do it for a grand and a good few games of golf at my club - seemed a decent deal :D

The Wren cabinets were delivered well packaged and there was no damage so we were very happy with that.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure what your budget is but we finished off our Kitchen unit’s ( Magnet) with granite worktops. They look amazing and finish the kitchen off fantastic.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'd swerve wren and "their" fitters. They're all subcontractors and wren haven't got the best customer services for when said fitter makes mistakes. And they're not cheap nor value for money.

I'd try and find a local supplier and installer. Also not all joiners make good kitchen fitters.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure what your budget is but we finished off our Kitchen unit’s ( Magnet) with granite worktops. They look amazing and finish the kitchen off fantastic.
+1 for granite.

You'll get lots of sales patter about how wonderful stuff like quartz and Corian is, and wood block is very fashionable right now, but granite is the dog's nuts. End of.