New Kitchen Advice

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say it’s a bit of a mistake by the chippy, if it’s a utility cupboard there should be room for an ironing board, mop and bucket and a broom.
Maybe he could raise the shelf but cut a semi circular notch out the back so you can use the socket?
Good idea. Mine was to cut shelf (side to side) and support the remaining shelf with a bracket fixed to the back. That would give maybe a 400mm shelf and 200mm full height. Plenty of room under the shelf for brooms etc, just not the ironing board - so don’t need that much width full height. Maybe have a little 2cm or so edging strip to the shelf to stop stuff falling off side of shelf. In fact if I’d thought further about the layout of the cupboard I might well have designed it that way. Loads of shelf space above.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having our quartz worktop templated we’ve been asked if we want the quartz upstand running continuous across behind the hob - and so our glass hob splashback would sit on top of the upstand; or have a 600mm break in the upstand with our splashback running from worktop to underside of extractor.

We were going to do the latter (600mm break) but our templater has suggested the former (continuous) is what most folks do these days, something we hadn’t considered.

Our splashback will be black glass; our worktop and upstand is a mid-grey quartz. The run in which the hob sits is just under 4m.

Any thoughts please.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having our quartz worktop templated we’ve been asked if we want the quartz upstand running continuous across behind the hob - and so our glass hob splashback would sit on top of the upstand; or have a 600mm break in the upstand with our splashback running from worktop to underside of extractor.

We were going to do the latter (600mm break) but our templater has suggested the former (continuous) is what most folks do these days, something we hadn’t considered.

Our splashback will be black glass; our worktop and upstand is a mid-grey quartz. The run in which the hob sits is just under 4m.

Any thoughts please.

Try and find some pictures online of both would be my suggestion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Try and find some pictures online of both would be my suggestion.
We‘ve had a good look and tbh it’s not so easy to find examples of where a 600mm wide splashback is mounted above a continuous upstand…plenty where a splashback or mirroring is under all cabinets as well as behind the hob and all mounted above a continuous upstand. And I guess that points us to the way to go…as we were thinking - 600mmx750mm worktop to extractor underside.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Any thoughts please.

It comes down to which ever you prefer, personally I'd run the upstand all the way through, if nothing else, it'll protect the glass from anything sliding off the hob at a low level, and will give you a tidier sealant line between worktop and upstand - as a result, it's going to be easier to keep clean.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We‘ve had a good look and tbh it’s not so easy to find examples of where a 600mm wide splashback is mounted above a continuous upstand…plenty where a splashback or mirroring is under all cabinets as well as behind the hob and all mounted above a continuous upstand. And I guess that points us to the way to go…as we were thinking - 600mmx750mm worktop to extractor underside.

Is there no free online designer tool you could use?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would seriously consider not having the up stand behind the hob, in fact I wouldn't have the upstand at all and just bring the glass splash back down onto the worktop (thats what I have done, all the way round my kitchen).
You make no mention of how deep your worktop is going to be, and I assume youre having 30mm quartz worktop and upstand, consider how that might affect the hob positioning to accomodate your pans on the hob not forgetting the large pan locations are normally back left/right, and how forward the hob might have to be to allow your pans to be used correctly on the hob.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would seriously consider not having the up stand behind the hob, in fact I wouldn't have the upstand at all and just bring the glass splash back down onto the worktop (thats what I have done, all the way round my kitchen).
You make no mention of how deep your worktop is going to be, and I assume youre having 30mm quartz worktop and upstand, consider how that might affect the hob positioning to accomodate your pans on the hob not forgetting the large pan locations are normally back left/right, and how forward the hob might have to be to allow your pans to be used correctly on the hob.
Fully agree with this. Although we have the same upstand as the splashback we have the break in the upstand. So splashback is full height from worktop. Very easy to keep clean.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Second this. We’re doing the upstand down the side wall, but not on the wall behind the hob. That wall will be a full coloured glass splash back, work top to cupboards.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
For anyone else considering quartz worktops, got put onto a company called Gemini, apparently they supply Wren. Gemini came in substantially cheaper than Wren who were offering a heavy discount on their quartz.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You do realise SILH that we would all like photos when all is finished! 😁🤔👍
Absolutely…getting close.…🕺

Guys have been levelling and sealing the floor today in readiness for laying the flooring; decorator is nearly done; and then just skirting and a side window to be installed.

In two weeks we’ll be 5months since I finished taking our conservatory down and our builders started.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely…getting close.…🕺

Guys have been levelling and sealing the floor today in readiness for laying the flooring; decorator is nearly done; and then just skirting and a side window to be installed.

In two weeks we’ll be 5months since I finished taking our conservatory down and our builders started.
Please tell me the flooring you are having, is going down before the units are fitted, or at least will go all the way to the wall where any appliances are going to be.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No floor standing appliances.
You still need the flooring all the way back to the wall. Nothing hacks owners off more than their flooring dragging up and damaging as an appliance is removed.
Obviously some repairers are better and take more care, but when a flooring is just in front of the front feet, or only half way back it can be very hard to not catch the flooring and cause damage....unless you want the person to say "when it's out we will return" as many of the manufacturers peoples would say for their protection:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You still need the flooring all the way back to the wall. Nothing hacks owners off more than their flooring dragging up and damaging as an appliance is removed.
Obviously some repairers are better and take more care, but when a flooring is just in front of the front feet, or only half way back it can be very hard to not catch the flooring and cause damage....unless you want the person to say "when it's out we will return" as many of the manufacturers peoples would say for their protection:)
Absolutely, but we have no floor standing appliances…In any case our flooring might well go all under 😋