New Irons

tmhill84

Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently looking for an upgrade from my current 9 year old Ram clubs. In recent years, I've always known that the standard club length, which the rams are, weren't the proper length due to fact I needed to bend a bit more at the waste than the average golfer to get underneath the ball adequately. I honestly can say that in the past 3 years I've never had to fix a fairway divot as I have been able to hit the ball cleanly off of the ground.

So today I went in to get measured and swing a few clubs at Austads and as expected, I need an additional 1/2". When I swang the Callaway X2hot 6 Iron, the irons I am considering, I averaged a club speed of about 75 mph and I was hitting it an around 165-175 yards. The problem I encountered was that the ball would typically start slightly left of target and once it reached it optimum height it would hook drastrically (I'm right handed by the way). The salesman recommended that when I get the clubs fitted that I get the club 1 degree flatter. I imagine that was due to the fact that the ball flight began a bit left of the target but not sure if that is what is causing the drastic hook I was experiencing in the simulator. Could it be the additional club length causing issues or just the fact that it's a new club and may take some tinkering with my swing to correct the problem? I'm about a 30 handicap, unofficially, so it could be possible that it could be my swing. I tried taking a steeper backswing that seemed straigten it out with a slight fade.I'm far from consistant with my current irons but rarely would I hook/slice with them as I was today with the new ones.

I guess I'm trying to avoid wasting my investment and becoming a worse golfer. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I will wait, with interest, the answers, as I had a hit with the same club on Wednesday and playing off 10 h/c had a similar experience. I draw the ball a little on a good shot, but I took the 6 iron on the course and hit it off tees and ground using 3 balls over about 5 holes. I had a project x 5.5 shaft in it and when I hit very smoothly it was fine and very long, but if I hit with more speed it went a huge distance ( 180 yards) started slightly right but duck hooked at the end. It was easy to hit and the lowered loft clearly sends the ball out there, it got airborne mega easily and I really liked the ease that I could pick the all up compared to my AP2's but couldn't work out the cause of the hook as I was hitting pretty well with my regular swing.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I have been thinking the same thing. I had a club fitting recently, went plus 1/2 an inch and was hitting everything fat and pushing waaay left. The fitter said I was crowding the ball so perhaps I need to get a bit more upright with the new shafts and that will give me more freedom and room to turn in the future. I am going to trust the process and give the new shaft length a chance. If I have been using the wrong length clubs for nearly 5 years it wont feel normal over night but if it suits my height the benefits should come sooner rather than later.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
With all due respect, I rather doubt if you would get 165-175 yards out of a 6 iron with 75 mph swing speed on a real golf course.

If I was you, I would defer buying new clubs and get a few lessons. Your Ram clubs can get you down a lot below 30 handicap. 1 degree flatter doesn't mean much at your stage.

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently looking for an upgrade from my current 9 year old Ram clubs. In recent years, I've always known that the standard club length, which the rams are, weren't the proper length due to fact I needed to bend a bit more at the waste than the average golfer to get underneath the ball adequately. I honestly can say that in the past 3 years I've never had to fix a fairway divot as I have been able to hit the ball cleanly off of the ground.

So today I went in to get measured and swing a few clubs at Austads and as expected, I need an additional 1/2". When I swang the Callaway X2hot 6 Iron, the irons I am considering, I averaged a club speed of about 75 mph and I was hitting it an around 165-175 yards. The problem I encountered was that the ball would typically start slightly left of target and once it reached it optimum height it would hook drastrically (I'm right handed by the way). The salesman recommended that when I get the clubs fitted that I get the club 1 degree flatter. I imagine that was due to the fact that the ball flight began a bit left of the target but not sure if that is what is causing the drastic hook I was experiencing in the simulator. Could it be the additional club length causing issues or just the fact that it's a new club and may take some tinkering with my swing to correct the problem? I'm about a 30 handicap, unofficially, so it could be possible that it could be my swing. I tried taking a steeper backswing that seemed straigten it out with a slight fade.I'm far from consistant with my current irons but rarely would I hook/slice with them as I was today with the new ones.

I guess I'm trying to avoid wasting my investment and becoming a worse golfer. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks

Nebraska maybes??

Did you do the fitting on a launch monitor? The face must be hot on those irons, the distance, if carry, you normally wouldn't get from 75mph SS.
Unless you well over 6' you shouldn't need the 1/2", how tall are you?

Think where you are in the game, best answer would be if it's possible geographically in your State, to find a PGA teaching Pro who teaches & also fits clubs by using a launch monitor.
Would save you maybes from wasting some bucks if you've just been advised so far by more of a salesman? You may be being advised to have a flatter lie unnecessarily, as it could be a swing issue that causing the hooks you experienced.
Best bet to get some real qualified advice if that's possible.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
With all due respect, I rather doubt if you would get 165-175 yards out of a 6 iron with 75 mph swing speed on a real golf course.

If I was you, I would defer buying new clubs and get a few lessons. Your Ram clubs can get you down a lot below 30 handicap. 1 degree flatter doesn't mean much at your stage.

This.
Not only that, but if you really needed to bend a bit more at the waist as you suggested, then surely you would need shorter not longer clubs?
Rather than throwing good money after bad, now is probably the time to see someone more qualified than some bloke in a store - in other words, you should see a golf professional who will be able to advise you on your best options AND quite possibly save you a wad of money in the long run because you potentially bought a set of irons ill-suited to your swing and ability.