New irons

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I currently play my Wilson Launchpad 2 irons. They’ve been great but I game has come on massively and I’m getting a pretty good strike on my irons now.

I’m beginning to fing their limitations now I think. I generally take a shallow divot anyway but I think these are limiting my development with regard to striking. Sometimes when chipping and pitching the ball comes off them like a rocket.

I did try some TM790’s a couple of weeks ago and could hit them okay. And seriously considering something along those lines.

However, from many years ago I have a set of Titleist 755’s which I don’t think have ever played a round of golf. They’re literally brand new. Would these be useable, obviously, they’re not going to be anywhere near the loft of the 790’s. The technology in them isn’t going to be anywhere near the same…

I guess they were never high handicapper irons. They would need new grips and I’m wondering if I should get them done and give them a try. Or should they just be confined to history and returned to the very back of the garage?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just get the grip changed on one of the Titleist irons, (I’d suggest the 7 iron) and see how it goes on the range. If it’s no good then you haven’t wasted more than a few quid. If you think it’s ok then get the grips on the rest of the set changed.

The 755s are cavity backed so should have a bit of forgiveness.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Have you considered these....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Iron number for iron number expect a loss of distance with the 755s compared to the Wilson set but this is due to the difference in lofts.
If you are asking a pro to change the grips then you will probably be paying as much for that as the irons are worth. Good opportunity to learn how to do it for yourself and I would only fit economy grips if you are not sure you are going to use them for a longish period.

They are a club aimed at the mid to low handicap player so expect some loss in consistency of the striker unless you are a good ball striker.

Nothing lost by giving the grips a really good wash and scrub to give them a go to help you decide.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
You'll get on fine with them.

Don't bother changing the grips yet, they'll be okay for a couple of rounds finding out if you like the clubs.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Been down to the practise ground with 7 & 9 iron. Hit them no problem at all. Loved the flight on them. I didn’t pace it out but they seemed to go a decent distance, even into a brisk wind.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Comparison of 2006 Titleist 755 ("many years ago" - well, I don't think so - irons haven't changed much) and the TM 790.

T 755 2006.jpg

... and the much newer ones - TM 790

TM 790.jpg

My current irons are 21, 24, 27, 30.5, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 58.
I would prefer the Titleist 755s as I don't like the 5° gaps in the "scoring" clubs of the 790s.

If your set of 755s are indeed near mint condition, then I think you have a very good set of irons and I hope you do well with them.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Comparison of 2006 Titleist 755 ("many years ago" - well, I don't think so - irons haven't changed much) and the TM 790.

View attachment 54117

... and the much newer ones - TM 790

View attachment 54118

My current irons are 21, 24, 27, 30.5, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 58.
I would prefer the Titleist 755s as I don't like the 5° gaps in the "scoring" clubs of the 790s.

If your set of 755s are indeed near mint condition, then I think you have a very good set of irons and I hope you do well with them.
Have lofts changed since the old days? You never mention it so I’m not too sure 🤪

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
It’s going to be really interesting to compare them to the newer ones. I can’t believe all modern talk of ball speed and high MOI is nothing but marketing speak. They’re must be some difference but, ultimately it’s still only a lump of metal swung into the back of a hard ball. Quite how much difference in reality I’ll find out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just seems to be a naming convention more than anything else. My Ping i500 PW is 45°, I've then got a 50°, 54° and 58°. I call them GW, SW, LW.
Definitely. Ping are one of those that are adding more wedges into sets to cover gaps caused by stronger lofts. I would simply work out how far each one goes with various swing lengths go from there. I wouldn't be worrying if it was a PW, GW or SW

Alan Clifford

Visit site
So give or take the lofts are the same and just the numbers stamped on the bottom have changed. As I've said, as long as a player knows how far they hit each one, what difference does it make what the number at the bottom says?
I suspect the reason is manufacturers' marketing bollocks of "my 5 iron goes futher than your 5 iron".