New Irons - maybe too hard to hit

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
At the end of last year I was fitted for some new irons (Callway TCBs) at Scottsdale golf in Warrington. It was a great set up and cant fault the fitting, but after starting this season I wondering if I've made the game harder than it needs to be.

The irons are great when hit out of the middle, though I have lost a club in yardage. The loss of yardage isnt a big issue as the dispersion is spot on, if i need to hit it further I can use a longer club. The issue is the forgivness isnt great and anything off center stands out and will usually be short of the green.

Im thinking of giving them another couple of weeks to see if the swing improves after the winter break and then they could probably end up on Ebay.

Ive been looking at the Srixon ZX7 with maybe ZX5 in the longer irons. What does everyone else use on a low to mid handicap (current handicap 8)

benjo09

Visit site
I’m using the JPX 921 forged having come from some older Callaway Razr X forged irons. Went into my fitting really wanting the 921 tours and on my good shots they were neck and neck with the 921f but on the slightly off centre hits I was losing 10-15 yards. Tried to talk the fitter into the tours but he was adamant hey weren’t the right club and he was right. Been hitting the 921f really well and appreciate the extra forgiveness they have and have come round to their slightly chunkier look than what I’ve used I. The past due to the performance and confidence I have with them.

D

Deleted member 3432

Rather than focus on a single brand I would be trying out a few different heads to see what works best for you.

FWIW I play a Srixon combo set of ZX5 4-5 and ZX7 6-PW and they are great clubs (HI 2.4) but there are plenty of good irons out there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try practicing - with a blade!
FWIW It doesn't seem to me that the fitting was really as good as it should/could have been - or maybe you were having a great strike day!
I believe you should check out some of the more forgiving irons before actually diving in again. It can be very expensive - and frustrating - otherwise!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Try practicing - with a blade!
FWIW It doesn't seem to me that the fitting was really as good as it should/could have been - or maybe you were having a great strike day!
I believe you should check out some of the more forgiving irons before actually diving in again. It can be very expensive - and frustrating - otherwise!
Agree.

I often practice with my old TP-9’s, mainly the 4i. If you can hit this you can hit anything

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I got fitted for 921 Tours last year..in the studio they were magnificent
I was swinging so well that dispersion was 4 yards front to back and a big fat Zero side to side...
On course they worked well when I hit the middle.
The swing went on holiday and my iron game fell apart. On a good swing day they were fine, on a bad swing day they were damaging
Away from the middle they were not good..had to move them on.
Now using MP20 MMC and the extra forgiveness is very apparent.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree.

I often practice with my old TP-9’s, mainly the 4i. If you can hit this you can hit anything
I actually bought a set of those - in American Golf's Warrington store - to practice with. One of my better £60 purchases! I was hooked after the 3rd strike (of the 7i mind).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been using Mizuno JPX 900 Tours for some years now. I too have come to the opinion that maybe they are costing me shots. However I have tried other more forgiving clubs over the past couple of summers and have decided to stick with them as the faults I have are there with just about anything I have tried.

I still cannot get used to the size of the heads in the short irons in more forgiving clubs which is why I went to the mizzies in the first instance.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use Titleist blades. I’m sure a more forgiving set might give me some help when I’m not playing well, but….

I’m a masochist that doesn’t want help. I like getting the result the swing deserves.
Much easier to clean the back than cavity backs ?
They make me happy.
I’m not playing to put food on the table so more fun = good.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Some people buy clubs because they like the look of them, irrespective of whether they suit their game.
Some don't like cavity backs.
I try to buy ones that help my game.
It's all down to personal choice of course, but why make the game harder for yourself?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rather than spend cash on another set of clubs, why not get a lesson or two and see what the issue with the current set is. If you hit them well in the fitting and assuming the fitter knows his job and was after a quick sale then they must have suited.

Otherwise Ping G425's and hit the easiest clubs on the market (imo of course)

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Rather than spend cash on another set of clubs, why not get a lesson or two and see what the issue with the current set is. If you hit them well in the fitting and assuming the fitter knows his job and was after a quick sale then they must have suited.

Otherwise Ping G425's and hit the easiest clubs on the market (imo of course)

Going for lessons could possibly help get me more consistency on strike. But I'm never going to get the middle all of the time. This is part of the problem with club fittings, hitting a few balls inside against actually playing a round of golf. The drop off on off center hits is a bit too severe for me.

I don't tend to practice a lot and a warm up is a few balls in the net before teeing off. Not the most ideal for good golf.

If I can get a decent price for them and get another set it won't be too much of a loss and a lesson learned. I'm not as good as I think I am.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Blades, blades, blades, I've never been unable to understand the obsession with making the game easier.

Golf is supposed to be hard, that's what makes it interesting.
Making it a bit easier doesn't exactly make it easy for me. I will take all the assistance I can from technology that is within the rules, not that I'm criticising the vintage club route which must be fascinating of itself but I would have to have a better game to be tempted by it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Going for lessons could possibly help get me more consistency on strike. But I'm never going to get the middle all of the time. This is part of the problem with club fittings, hitting a few balls inside against actually playing a round of golf. The drop off on off center hits is a bit too severe for me.

I don't tend to practice a lot and a warm up is a few balls in the net before teeing off. Not the most ideal for good golf.

If I can get a decent price for them and get another set it won't be too much of a loss and a lesson learned. I'm not as good as I think I am.

Think you've answered your own questions. A lesson should help with the off centre strikes and improve consistency and general striking. If you are having huge drop offs from off-centre hits then I suggest the clubs were poorly fitted as you must have hit some off centre in the fit and the fitter should have seen the discrepancy and suggested a more forgiving club at the time. I always warm up on the practice ground. Gets me loose, I can see the flight and get a feel for where my main miss will be

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some people buy clubs because they like the look of them, irrespective of whether they suit their game.
Some don't like cavity backs.
I try to buy ones that help my game.
It's all down to personal choice of course, but why make the game harder for yourself?

I sit in this category, but luckily they do the hollow headed irons which give the forgiveness with the looks.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have been using Mizuno JPX 900 Tours for some years now. I too have come to the opinion that maybe they are costing me shots. However I have tried other more forgiving clubs over the past couple of summers and have decided to stick with them as the faults I have are there with just about anything I have tried.

I still cannot get used to the size of the heads in the short irons in more forgiving clubs which is why I went to the mizzies in the first instance.

This is my issue also. When it raises it's ugly head my stock bad shot is a pull, with the MP20 it is always bad, but with a forgiving distance club I will make better contact thus sending it even further left.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If you are having huge drop offs from off-centre hits then I suggest the clubs were poorly fitted as you must have hit some off centre in the fit and the fitter should have seen the discrepancy and suggested a more forgiving club at the time
Got to agree with homer here, sounds like a bad fitting here. Of course a lot of that is also on you, you need to see and feel the results yourself too.

Marketing blurb ~ "The new Apex TCB Irons are specifically designed for Tour players and elite golfers"

Why did an 8 handicapper get pushed onto these? Why were you even looking at these from the numerous irons that Callaway (never mind others) make?