New Irons for Fast Swing

rmacnair

Visit site
Probably a significant delofting happening and an optimistic launch monitor. I've seen 195ish before from those numbers from a playing partner, but he adds at least one more club of length from delofting.

We end up driving similar distances, but he is at least 2 - 2.5 clubs longer than me with his irons, due to him having stronger lofts anyway, delofting and me flipping a bit.

Delofting? Still not there with all the technical terms

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Delofting? Still not there with all the technical terms

every club has a certain build static loft on the face angle

cali apex 16 pro 7i is 34º - but a optimum iron strike at impact comes with a downwards attack angle also with the hands leading the club head so that static build loft is then 'de-lofted' to a lower face angle loft by the shaft leaning forwards towards target

PGA Tour average dynamic loft (de-lofted iron face) for a 7i would be somewheres around 21º/22º/23º from say an average static loft build 7i of 34º because of how the club head gets delivered at impact

de-lofted iron face means the initial launch angle of the ball is lower so a more piercing flight trajectory as it climbs to peak height before returning to ground

so then with a good de-lofted 7i strike the ball travels a greater distance than the same swing speed 7i but with a dynamic loft at impact of 30º/32º/34º or more - if loft is added at impact instead of subtracted

G

guest100718

guy in our regular 4 ball can easily hit an 8i 180 yards.

rmacnair

Visit site
every club has a certain build static loft on the face angle

cali apex 16 pro 7i is 34º - but a optimum iron strike at impact comes with a downwards attack angle also with the hands leading the club head so that static build loft is then 'de-lofted' to a lower face angle loft by the shaft leaning forwards towards target

PGA Tour average dynamic loft (de-lofted iron face) for a 7i would be somewheres around 21º/22º/23º from say an average static loft build 7i of 34º because of how the club head gets delivered at impact

de-lofted iron face means the initial launch angle of the ball is lower so a more piercing flight trajectory as it climbs to peak height before returning to ground

so then with a good de-lofted 7i strike the ball travels a greater distance than the same swing speed 7i but with a dynamic loft at impact of 30º/32º/34º or more - if loft is added at impact instead of subtracted

Great explanation. I've been working on hip turn and weight distribution on my downswing so makes sense that I'm hitting it delofted

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Didn't think you could get a smash factor more than 1.50.
I can hear Jim Bowen now, "Let's have a look at what you could've won"

Sounds about right. When my friend was having a fitting the launch monitor was giving him 210 with a 7i. Turns out it was on "driver setting". So I'm guessing it measured club head speed with an algorithm for distance at a set smash factor.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't think you could get a smash factor more than 1.50.....

a small es14 portable LM is not goin to be quite as accurate as premium LM's & would take a guess here (as been already said) that maybes the settings were still on the driver

as to why you can/do see readings of driver data using premium launch monitors
with the COR in place governing driver club head design then using math/physics 1.50 is the maximum SF number possible when using a driver

but to give an absolute SF number the club head club face speed would have to be measured exactly to conform with the math/physics calculation

it's real difficult to measure the totally exact mph speed of the location of strike as the heel is always moving slower than the toe -

even though launch monitors do extremely near accurate measurements

for trackman TM3 has a tolerance of + or - 1.5mph
TM4's tolerance is + or - 1.0mph

so looking at a club speed of 100mph (easier to do the math) for TM3 this means the SF number is working to a variation for TM3 of 1.478 to 1.523
& a variation for TM4 of 1.485 to 1.515

both still highly accurate as you are dealing with tolerances in 2nd & 3rd decimal places

but it's the uncertainty in the complete exactness of the club speed measurement across the face of the driver so that uncertainty of absolute location of strike

as for that example of club speed of 100mph with ball speed of 150mph (so math limit of 1.50)
in actuality there is still a bunch of difference of speed from heel to toe at strike & the differences in average terms can be up to 6% to 7%
so in the example if center driver face is traveling true at 100mph the heel can be 93mph where at the toe end it can be 107mph

then factor in just where - so again not absolute certainty of the radar reflection origin of the data reading from the club head(face) - so leads to this variance in tolerances & why you can get a SF# reading of over 1.50

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
no its not still a side by side comparison. when your hitting into an open range i challenge anyone that can see how far the ball accurately went past the 150 matker.
so its not difficult to be mislead. i agree with what your saying if the range have reference points but many just have boards or a flag
We're talking about trackman/flighscope figures which should be part of every fitting. if not simply walk away