New Irons for Fast Swing

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes they do, their machine always over estimates the distance. I went for a 3 wood fitting and was getting 255 carry off the deck with my 3wood. I have never ever hit a 3 wood that far and doubt i ever will, average on Game Golf is 214.

It is the same with the driver, on their machine (different store) I was getting most around the 280/290 mark and my average on Game Golf is 252.

When going to American golf, it is worth bringing your own club to test against, at least then you are getting a comparison between the two and you can work out the difference that way

even with your own club to compare against. setting a tail wind when you have their club in hand is only one click of the mouse

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
even with your own club to compare against. setting a tail wind when you have their club in hand is only one click of the mouse

Well that's true. I'd like to think they wouldn't do that but I guess some will do anything for a sale.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So what? I've found personally, here in Aberdeen that none of the fitters do that.

But if they *did* then it would take someone of enormous idiocy not to know how far they normally hit their own 7 iron, see how far trackman/flightscope is saying it's going, and see the difference.

Ultimately, what your own club does on screen v. what the others you're testing do is all that matters. A side by side comparison is still a side by side comparison if *weather conditions* are effected on the machine.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I live in Cheshire so is anyone aware of anywhere else other than American Golf to get my swing analysed... who aren't a bunch of con artists?

go down to the belfry. i personally know all the fitters and none of them work on commission or targets and are as honest as they come

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My experience with AG is to take it with a pinch of salt. It is very difficult to tell what they have their testing facilities set up as - could be down hill, hard ground wind behind etc. The only true measure is out on the golf course. So go out when it is quiet and hit a few balls with different clubs on a few holes and try and gauge what distances you hit.

In terms of buying clubs, speak to your pro when having lessons and they should guide you into what shaft etc is best for your swing. Then go to AG and test clubs - what one feels the best, what one gives you the best flight, the best feel, consistency and dispersion. But really it is down to what club gives you the confidence. Don't worry about distances.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what? I've found personally, here in Aberdeen that none of the fitters do that.

But if they *did* then it would take someone of enormous idiocy not to know how far they normally hit their own 7 iron, see how far trackman/flightscope is saying it's going, and see the difference.

Ultimately, what your own club does on screen v. what the others you're testing do is all that matters. A side by side comparison is still a side by side comparison if *weather conditions* are effected on the machine.

no its not still a side by side comparison. when your hitting into an open range i challenge anyone that can see how far the ball accurately went past the 150 matker.
so its not difficult to be mislead. i agree with what your saying if the range have reference points but many just have boards or a flag

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with a player saying he can hit an 8 iron 180 yards.

I know within about 2 years of starting to play I used to hit the same length as Jack Nicklaus. My trouble was I never hit it in the same direction as him.

AS to OP question. If you are going for new clubs I agree with the view that custom fit is the correct way to go. Even at the age of over 60 my recent custom fit the fitter said I should consider stiff shafts. The choice of shafts is a big determining factor about shaft flex.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I carry my driver about 215-220 yards. In defence of American Golf I went for a fitting back in February, partly to offload a set of irons, and my carry distances for all the drivers I tried pretty much matched my own measurements so I had no issue with their Trackman settings.

rmacnair

Visit site
Spoke with my club Pro and he suggested a few sets and I've settles on a used set of Callaway X16 Pro series with stiff steel shaft.

FYI I had a lesson today and he measured my swing. Lots of numbers but the two ones that seemed important was club head speed (87mph) ball speed (125mph) and smash factor (1.52) with a 7 iron which was carrying between 210-220 yards on the range.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spoke with my club Pro and he suggested a few sets and I've settles on a used set of Callaway X16 Pro series with stiff steel shaft.

FYI I had a lesson today and he measured my swing. Lots of numbers but the two ones that seemed important was club head speed (87mph) ball speed (125mph) and smash factor (1.52) with a 7 iron which was carrying between 210-220 yards on the range.

good you got the irons sorted

think you maybes got confused though over the launch monitor numbers a tad
with a 7i chs of 87 mph the ball speed would not be 125 mph

a 7i chs of 90 mph would give a ball speed of 120 mph & with a sf# of 1.33

ball speed is a value of the chs generated plus center strike efficiency

the sf number is not an arbitrary abstract value from a scale it's a math calculation ball speed ÷ club head speed

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course he can hit am 8 iron 180 !

I hit mine about 215 the other day, on a course with 3 witnesses watching!

It was a 192 yard par 3, 45 mph tail wind, down hill all the way, baked hard ground, ran through and off the green and up and over a mound.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

87mph with a 7 iron does not get you 210 yards. i swing 91mph with a 7 iron and that gets me 170 yards

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Irons are not capable of producing a smash of 1.5, there is something dodgy going on. Tour average with a 7 iron is 1.33.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
87mph with a 7 iron does not get you 210 yards. i swing 91mph with a 7 iron and that gets me 170 yards

Probably a significant delofting happening and an optimistic launch monitor. I've seen 195ish before from those numbers from a playing partner, but he adds at least one more club of length from delofting.

We end up driving similar distances, but he is at least 2 - 2.5 clubs longer than me with his irons, due to him having stronger lofts anyway, delofting and me flipping a bit.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not experienced in what numbers mean but that's what the machine said; it was an ES14 launch monitor.

Anyone in the area (Northwich) wants to see it to believe it let me know

wouldn't worry over it

the es14 can often times give not so accurate data information

just for yourself if you interested in getting more of a handle of your swing with some accurate data numbers would try to search out a Pro with a either GC2 HMT or GC Quad or Trackman or Flightscope (Launch Monitors) - not that that is essential just if you that way minded to be more curious

good thing is you got your iron sorted out - good irons (see my sig:)