New Irons, advice wanted

Visit site
Hi all,

I know this is a question that is asked a lot here and I have read some similar threads and taken onboard the advice, however I thought I would be a bit greedy and start my own thread. I have been an infrequent golfer for most of my life, and for the past few years have been using an old set of Ben Hogan irons given to me by a friend, which I have always struggled with (he is a single handicapper and I certainly am not). I have played a few times recently with a rental set of Callaways, which I liked and that has given me the urge to get a newer set. I have been looking online on the various sites, affordable golf, golfbidder, etc. My budget is somewhere around the €200 euro mark, as I also need a new bag. Anyway, I found a set of Cobra AMP Cell Red Irons, 6 - PW on 121Golfshop for £149 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and if they are worth the money? Don't really know much about Cobra so I am a bit cautious. The other option is a local buy and sell site here (the wilds of Eastern Europe), where there is a set of Ping i20 Irons, 5-PW for €200. I remember reading another thread where someone recommended the Ping i20s to a beginner. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction here please? Any other recommendations would also be gratefully received, thanks

D

Deleted member 23270

Just bear in mind that if you buy a 6-PW set you will have a huge gap up to your woods so will also need to consider other clubs to fill the gaps. Personally I would look for a set that starts at either a 4 or 5 iron.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome

couple things to think over re specs of whatever type/make

are you around average height which guess is around 5'10" -ish (if 6"1" + & without extra long irons could be would need longer shafts - if a bunch shorter than average could need the static lie of the irons looked at) probably as just starting back would be better with regular flex)

two ways around that one being go on the Ping site & do a web fit where you can put measurements in an get a pretty good guide from that what specs to look for in a not new set

or - don't know your location - but could go into a golf store & try out some 'new' irons & get again an aprox fitting then take note of the specs

cobra as a make are pretty decent just need to be sure that the set in question isn't 2º flat or 2º upright unless you found out regular static lie spec is not relevant to you

if buying from website just make sure it's a place you can trust is on the level - lot of bogus websites out there advertising Ping irons at real low price & you probably won't see any clubs or money back either

Ping irons in general good clubs

a lot in choosing irons got to be down to liking the look first off - size of club head that kinda stuff as that gives some confidence then it's about 'feel' - & as you stated if just starting back probably want to go with some cavity back design to give a tad of help with strike

may want to find a 5i to PW set as if getting 6i to PW with used clubs then usually pretty difficult to find a single 5i in the same model - not impossible but not always so easy

can always fill the gap between 5i or 6i to 3 metal with hybrids tho

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both get good reviews.

Make sure the Pings are not fakes.

If you are worried about resale values get the Pings

In my opinion if you are an improving golfer you are much more likely to keep the Pings for a longer period.

More important than filling the gap above 5/6 is filling the gap below PW these sets need a 50-52 wedge adding an at least a SW. There is no need to match manufacturers in wedges or longer clubs.

Visit site

Thanks, I will check them out.

Just bear in mind that if you buy a 6-PW set you will have a huge gap up to your woods so will also need to consider other clubs to fill the gaps. Personally I would look for a set that starts at either a 4 or 5 iron.

I probably should have been clearer, in that I am happy enough with my driver, 3 wood and hybrid. The hybrid should do the trick there, no?

Visit site
welcome

couple things to think over re specs of whatever type/make

are you around average height which guess is around 5'10" -ish (if 6"1" + & without extra long irons could be would need longer shafts - if a bunch shorter than average could need the static lie of the irons looked at) probably as just starting back would be better with regular flex)

two ways around that one being go on the Ping site & do a web fit where you can put measurements in an get a pretty good guide from that what specs to look for in a not new set

or - don't know your location - but could go into a golf store & try out some 'new' irons & get again an aprox fitting then take note of the specs

cobra as a make are pretty decent just need to be sure that the set in question isn't 2º flat or 2º upright unless you found out regular static lie spec is not relevant to you

if buying from website just make sure it's a place you can trust is on the level - lot of bogus websites out there advertising Ping irons at real low price & you probably won't see any clubs or money back either

Ping irons in general good clubs

a lot in choosing irons got to be down to liking the look first off - size of club head that kinda stuff as that gives some confidence then it's about 'feel' - & as you stated if just starting back probably want to go with some cavity back design to give a tad of help with strike

may want to find a 5i to PW set as if getting 6i to PW with used clubs then usually pretty difficult to find a single 5i in the same model - not impossible but not always so easy

can always fill the gap between 5i or 6i to 3 metal with hybrids tho

Thanks for the advice. I am what I would like to call average, 5'9 on a good day :D.

Will check out the Ping site; unfortunately where I am, it is difficult to get myself fitted.

The Cobra set are these ones;
http://www.121golfshop.com/cobra-amp-cell-red-golf-irons-mens-steel-right-handed-6-pw-7771-p.asp

Have heard a lot about fakes, which kind of worries me a bit as I don't know if I would be able to spot one. The Pings are on a local version of gumtree so always a bit of a risk I guess, but they look like they're in good condition. As I said in another reply, I should have been clearer in my OP, I already have a decent driver, 3 wood, hybrid, wedges and putter that I am happy with; mainly just looking for irons.

Thanks again for the advice

Visit site
Both get good reviews.

Make sure the Pings are not fakes.

If you are worried about resale values get the Pings

In my opinion if you are an improving golfer you are much more likely to keep the Pings for a longer period.

More important than filling the gap above 5/6 is filling the gap below PW these sets need a 50-52 wedge adding an at least a SW. There is no need to match manufacturers in wedges or longer clubs.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I also thought that the Pings may hold their value longer, just worried about being fakes as it is just a local website and not any reputable second hand website etc. Might check them out and see how they feel.

The Cobras might not be a bad option though, in that they are coming from a reputable second hand company.
http://www.121golfshop.com/cobra-amp-cell-red-golf-irons-mens-steel-right-handed-6-pw-7771-p.asp

As I said above, should have been clearer but I already have a hybrid which can hopefully bridge the gap between say a 6i and 3 wood. Also have a couple of Cleveland wedges which I quite like, so I am not looking to replace them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said above, should have been clearer but I already have a hybrid which can hopefully bridge the gap between say a 6i and 3 wood. Also have a couple of Cleveland wedges which I quite like, so I am not looking to replace them.

You'll need more than 1 club to fill that gap.
I'd suggest a 5 wood, 21,24,27 hybrids.
Dont go mad on the wedges, 3 is plenty.
As for the irons........have you looked at Mizuno? They make some great irons

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't jump on shop/store prices. Better value can be had on Ebay. I would have a few sets in mind and look on the Ebay as to whats for auction (not buy it now). Research any game improvement irons from the top brands. Just search 'best GI irons 2014/2015 etc etc. Every year these are tested and rated by some large golf journalists. Difficult to go wrong with Ping G range and Mizuno game improvement irons.

As mentioned gapping is important and if your only playing 6 iron and up you might need another hybrid (depends on what loft your wood/hybrid is) I play 6 iron up only and use 3 hybrids after my 3 wood (hybrids replace 3,4,5 irons). As mentioned again - you may benefit from a GW to fill a likely gap between PW and your current wedge if its a SW. These filler clubs are not critical at this point as some people are happy to manufacturer shots with PW rather than carry a GW. We don't know you as a golfer so you need to take or drop the advice depending on what you do well/what your looking to do better in the future. Good luck

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
American Golf must have a decent second hand section these days since their trade in offers. Low ball them on the price

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a set of TaylorMade RBladez irons, 3 iron to Sand Wedge.
They're fitted with RocketFuel graphite regular flex shafts.
Interested?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
American Golf must have a decent second hand section these days since their trade in offers. Low ball them on the price

This would be my option of choice, quality 'used' irons at a decent price and you can try before you buy and if it's anything like my local 'AG' then they'll be able to advise you as to where to start and what best suits you !... :thup:

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Where exactly is the OP based? He says eastern Europe. I'm in CZ so if he's close by ie Slovakia or Hungary I may be able to point him in the direction of places to get fitted and/or pick up some reasonably priced gear