New Irons; £200 budget

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Another vote for the Clevelands here.

Couldn't get on with the Adams or the Wilsons, but only because I hated the way they look.

Plumped for the TTs out of vanity and in the hope that they'd make me a better player. Alas I should have stuck with the MTs :/

Either way though, they are fine clubs.

bm

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some great info there guys, thanks for replying. Def looking at Golfbidder, the Pings looking the best option at mo. Hoping buying from there will eradicate any chance of buying a fake. Saying that, There are so many options. big choices ahead

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ping is a good shout especially second hand. As you said, you only play every six weeks and while I understand from personal experience that playing with clubs you don't like doesn't help with confidence, once you get a set you like, there will still be an issue with consistency. However that said, I hope you get some sticks you hit well and play well and enjoy them

My son has lessons at the local range every Sat, so I do get to practice once a week even in Winter which is good. Just hitting the course a bit more sporadic. Love the look and forgiveness of the Ping G5 and G10's and will trust Golfbidder I think, unless there is a silly sale offer after Christmas on new irons like D100, Cleveland MT or Benross HTX which I have trialed

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My son has lessons at the local range every Sat, so I do get to practice once a week even in Winter which is good. Just hitting the course a bit more sporadic. Love the look and forgiveness of the Ping G5 and G10's and will trust Golfbidder I think, unless there is a silly sale offer after Christmas on new irons like D100, Cleveland MT or Benross HTX which I have trialed

I bought my G15's from American Golf for £150 18 months ago. Great clubs but like you I'm looking around or maybe slightly more as a change for next season. I want new, had 2nd hand but want new and to get fitted this time.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought my G15's from American Golf for £150 18 months ago. Great clubs but like you I'm looking around or maybe slightly more as a change for next season. I want new, had 2nd hand but want new and to get fitted this time.

That's my dilemma, buy new but lowering brand quality maybe or go second hand and get better quality but at used prices. My only doubt is not being able to trial a Ping anywhere

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in AG and they had a few sets of TM irons for really good prices. I would have thought that would be tbe same everywhere.

Rocketbladez were well under £200 and I thought that were great irons when I owned them. Rsi1 were £220 too

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was in AG and they had a few sets of TM irons for really good prices. I would have thought that would be tbe same everywhere.

Rocketbladez were well under £200 and I thought that were great irons when I owned them. Rsi1 were £220 too

Were they second hand Mike?

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah trade ins. I know the manager there and he was saying they've taken loads of TM stuff in over the country, but because they were releasing loads of irons around the time they came out then trade in values weren't overly high, so pretty affordable on the trade in market. If you can pick up some speedbladez or older burner 2.0s you couldn't go wrong. They are some of the best irons TM made

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's my dilemma, buy new but lowering brand quality maybe or go second hand and get better quality but at used prices. My only doubt is not being able to trial a Ping anywhere

If you can get to an american golf, there will be enough second hand stock at the moment I would think you could trial pretty much anything. Albeit it might be on a sim rather than hitting outside. Within the ping G range, there's not a huge difference between models, so if you find a dot colour and shaft flex you like, it would work with any of them.

AG would probably be better value than golfbidder atm, as they have a huge amount of stuff they need to move on and could be ripe for some gentle negotiation.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah trade ins. I know the manager there and he was saying they've taken loads of TM stuff in over the country, but because they were releasing loads of irons around the time they came out then trade in values weren't overly high, so pretty affordable on the trade in market. If you can pick up some speedbladez or older burner 2.0s you couldn't go wrong. They are some of the best irons TM made

Was going to pop into AG on way home anyway, will take a look. Thanks Mike

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can get to an american golf, there will be enough second hand stock at the moment I would think you could trial pretty much anything. Albeit it might be on a sim rather than hitting outside. Within the ping G range, there's not a huge difference between models, so if you find a dot colour and shaft flex you like, it would work with any of them.

AG would probably be better value than golfbidder atm, as they have a huge amount of stuff they need to move on and could be ripe for some gentle negotiation.

Thanks mate, I must admit, my local branch hasn't got the best second hand stock at mo, but I will keep checking it out weekly

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know if they would be able to, but if your local one doesn't have much used stock they might be able to check company used stock and bring them in for you.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your looking at second hand sets, look up golfclubs4cash on eBay. They do some great prices and have a lot of stock available, I've got most of my bag from them and the guys in the shop which is just outside Edinburgh are great. In need of a putter so I'll be looking at them to see what they have.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ended up getting a set of Adams Blue irons only used twice off my boss. I was there when he bought them brand new! £50 for the 5-SW as he wasn't using them. Had a hit and loved the strike/launch, seems perfect for me. Tempted to try and add the Blue Driver and 4 hybrid now!! Thanks for the advice again

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ended up getting a set of Adams Blue irons only used twice off my boss. I was there when he bought them brand new! £50 for the 5-SW as he wasn't using them. Had a hit and loved the strike/launch, seems perfect for me. Tempted to try and add the Blue Driver and 4 hybrid now!! Thanks for the advice again

£50?! That's a right bargain

if you still have the budget I'd add those clubs you said then your basically set

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LOL was just about to comment and say wait until you see all the black Friday deals as already been receiving a lot of emails.... you'd be tough to beat £50 though for a decent set of irons

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
LOL was just about to comment and say wait until you see all the black Friday deals as already been receiving a lot of emails.... you'd be tough to beat £50 though for a decent set of irons

Hoping I maybe able to get a deal on hybrid/driver to complete set, will check out deals on Fri

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure you'd find good deals- some websites you should check:

american golf
direct golf
scottsdale golf
clickgolf
clubhouse golf
online golf
golf online
golf depot
hotgolf
affordable golf
Snainton

to name a few as they will all be competing with each other + there's probably more I've forgot