New Irons; £200 budget

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the Macgregor M455 irons weren't for me, just couldn't get a decent strike or feel with large heads. Back to square one and looking for a new set. My society handicap is 20, although following my fitting at Golf Principles and looking at my dispersion rates, Jason seemed to think it could be lower. I only play every 6 weeks or so but want a set that will see me through for the next few years. unfortunately, my budget is tight, £200 tops! I have a shallow swing and swing about 75-80 mph with irons.

Options as far as I can tell are:

Benross HTX irons £199 with Moresports til tomorrow

Adams Blue Irons

Cleveland TT/MT irons £199 with Direct golf

Benross Max Speed 10 irons - £129 online golf

Wilson Staff D100 - £199 Online golf

Adams XTD irons - Direct Golf on and off

The problem I have is I can't trial all these clubs as we only have a local American Golf in Southampton and some are older models. I like the Max Speed 10 from Benross and they seemed similar to Wilson D100's, both giving me 135 yards carry.

If anyone has tried other models, would love to hear your thoughts, or if you know of any other models within this price range, that would also be appreciated. Second option is Golfbidder and going for a older, better branded model.

Such a difficult decision, just want to make the right one this time

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been thinking about the HTX and at £200 they seem a real bargain, love the brand and these have had very good reviews despite one newbie on here having a problem.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
^^agreed,I'd definitely be looking at second hand in good condition with a budget of £200.
You can then look at Taylormade,Callaway,ping,Mizuno....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nip down your local American golf and trail some second hand sets they must have loads in at the moment and you might get a bargain
I'm

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have been having a good look at golfbidder this morning. Seen a set of Ping G5 irons 3-pw for £164. They have a 6 rating across the board but look in good condition. Def thinking better brand second hand

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Have been having a good look at golfbidder this morning. Seen a set of Ping G5 irons 3-pw for £164. They have a 6 rating across the board but look in good condition. Def thinking better brand second hand

Good clubs but you can get a lot newer model for your money.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ping is a good shout especially second hand. As you said, you only play every six weeks and while I understand from personal experience that playing with clubs you don't like doesn't help with confidence, once you get a set you like, there will still be an issue with consistency. However that said, I hope you get some sticks you hit well and play well and enjoy them

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ping is a good shout especially second hand. As you said, you only play every six weeks and while I understand from personal experience that playing with clubs you don't like doesn't help with confidence, once you get a set you like, there will still be an issue with consistency. However that said, I hope you get some sticks you hit well and play well and enjoy them

bit of luck someone will have had all the weights stuck in properly for them eh Homer ;)

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a set of Cleveland 588 TT irons which have only been used 3 times. Basically brand new! If interested drop me an email and I'm sure we can strike a deal.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My first thought was American golf, they do have a lot of clubs traded in at the moment. But some of those I saw last week looked well past there best.
would definately go along with the second hand Ping irons. Have they ever made a bad club. Problem is with Pings. There are a lot of fakes out there. Not just Pings.
Good luck me man.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Callaway X-14s. I picked up a set on ebay for a 2nd set I keep at my parents.

Got them for £70 quid or so delivered, quality clubs, 3 to SW.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've used the Wilson D200s and traded them in recently at AG for the Cleveland 588 TTs. The Cleveland's are said to be for better players, but to be honest there isn't much difference in the cavity backs between the two, equally forgiving, and for me the Cleveland's are the nicer clubs, although I wouldn't put anyone off trying Wilson.

I've played with a set of Cleveland 588 CB irons for much of the Summer and they are great clubs for the price - as posted above these are available new on ebay for under £200. They are not as forgiving as the TTs, but are a better quality club.