New Handicap regulations.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a member of a club and a social golf group I do not play any competitions at my club, so how do I go about resetting my handicap.
It used to be 3 cards and then handicap was set, now I understand it needs to be over the competition scores.
Can I still use the old method?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You can use Supplementary scores.
Declare the round as a qualifying score before you go out - different clubs have different rules on this - play your round, submit card and it will be processed as before.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a member of a club and a social golf group I do not play any competitions at my club, so how do I go about resetting my handicap.
This implies that you already have a handicap record (even though it will be non-competition status). In which case you will have a CDH ID number.
Just before the transition takes place all handicap records will be converted automatically and clubs will be given a report to enable then to identify records which may need attention.
As you have no playing record of qualifying scores you will be asked to submit 3 cards (as above post #2) in order to get you on your way to a 'new' handicap.
If you have no intention of ever playing in competitions there is no WHS requirement to put in cards but your club may have a policy that every member must have a handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the info, its been a few years since i had a playing hc.
Mostly the certificate is required when playing at some clubs, so i shall request the hc sec to oblige.
Handicap Certificates are pretty well obsolete. Your record will be on the CDH (Central Database of Handicaps) so the pro/manager at any club should be able to check online.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is true but you still need a HC at your club and all mine shows is NC.
Why does your club require you to have a Handicap Certificate? Surely they have your records on their system.
What does NC stand for on your certificate? Is it an official CONGU certificate?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is true but you still need a HC at your club and all mine shows is NC.

NC may stand for non competition status

You only get competition status by submitting 3 qualifying scores ie playing in 3 comps or submitting 3 supplementary scores.

When you say have not played comps in many years there was a time when you lost your handicap if you did not play in 3 comps in the previous year. Has it been that long since you played in one?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
there was a time when you lost your handicap if you did not play in 3 comps in the previous year. Has it been that long since you played in one?
Not so. Prior to 'C' status there was 'active' or 'inactive'.
Many people thought that an inactive status meant their handicap had been lost or had been lapsed. That was not the situation. It was exactly the same a non-competition status now.
A handicap has never been and cannot be lost because of not playing. It could/can only be lost for a serious disciplinary reason or through leaving an affiliated club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not so. Prior to 'C' status there was 'active' or 'inactive'.
Many people thought that an inactive status meant their handicap had been lost or had been lapsed. That was not the situation. It was exactly the same a non-competition status now.
A handicap has never been and cannot be lost because of not playing. It could/can only be lost for a serious disciplinary reason or through leaving an affiliated club.

I am aware that the terminology changed from active/inactive to Competition status following the complaints about the use of those words and their connotations.

I was talking about the time before active/inactive was in existence. I know I am talking about many years ago but I thought the requirement back then 3 cards was the requirement to stop your handicap from lapsing.

All the ISV systems have that facility.

I was informing the OP who may not be aware of the facility. I was talking to a group last month about the WHS quite a few were not even aware they could see their own handicap record in their account!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was talking about the time before active/inactive was in existence. I know I am talking about many years ago but I thought the requirement back then 3 cards was the requirement to stop your handicap from lapsing.
In fact that was never the case. Previously some clubs were applying a condition of competition that prevented members playing if they hadn’t played in a number of competitions in a specified period previously. It was all pretty unregulated though.
Active and Inactive was introduced as a response to this situation.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does your club require you to have a Handicap Certificate? Surely they have your records on their system.
What does NC stand for on your certificate? Is it an official CONGU certificate?
I'm only guessing - but I reckon it's down to rather casual use of abbreviation, I interpreted his phrase as "That is true but you still need a HandiCap at your club and all mine shows is Non-Competition"

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
What happens to someone who has been ill / disabled for several years, and when they come back cannot play anywhere near their previous handicap? Does 3 cards apply in that case, does anyone know?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What happens to someone who has been ill / disabled for several years, and when they come back cannot play anywhere near their previous handicap? Does 3 cards apply in that case, does anyone know?
As their handicap will not have lapsed but currently under CONGU it will have been set to status 'non competition'.
In order for it to be set to 'competition' they will have to return 3 qualifying scores (ie in competition or supplementary scores).
However, when the transition to WHS is done the conversion only takes record going back to the start of 2018. If they haven't got any scores in that time, they will have to return 3 cards in order to start to build a new appropriate handicap. The committee will be advised by the transition report and should take into account all available information if the feel any adjustment should be made.