New Golfer Advice

Visit site
Hi, first of all hello this is my first post on this forum.

After not playing golf for over 6 years I played yesterday with some work colleagues and absolutely loved it. I've well and truly got the bug again.

Yesterday I borrowed a few old clubs off one of the guys and while they were ok, I'd like my own set and also something forgiving and suitable for a beginner. I did a little online research yesterday and Callaway Strata and Wilson Ultra kept coming up as good clubs for a new golfer. However I'm a believer in buying second hand as I think you always get a better deal.

So what clubs would people recommend? I use to have some Mizuno's but that was years ago but other than that I have no idea.

Thanks
J

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you don't mind what they look like, you won't go wrong with whichever of the Ping G or Callaway X ranges suits your budget.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No particular manufacturer is better for new golfers. Almost all of them provide clubs suitable to beginners. Called GI (game improvement or SGI super game ......). If you asked on various forums you could get dozens of suggestions. In my opinion one GI iron plays very similar to another and the same applies to drivers and other clubs. I suggest, as well as taking suggestions here, to google 'best GI irons or most forgiving irons, Best GI driver, or most forgiving driver, 3 wood, hybrid etc. If you put a year at the end of these searches you will get various testing results across most clubs in that year. if your looking cheaper, go back a few years. narrow it down based on this research and hit Ebay or ask here if anyone has what your looking for.

Get lessons early to avoid bad habits setting early (very hard to unlearn, quicker to learn) and let your teacher guide you as to when fitting would be appropriate.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a look at the second hand market, especially somewhere like Golfbidder. Ping or Callaway would give you some GI options from 3-7 years ago (depending on your budget) and they have a 14 day return policy. After that invest in some lessons and then get out and play as much as you can