New GM Top 100 - how many have you played?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yep, same place - quite a different set-up in 1981. Was used as football pitches for Newcastle University through the winter, then pay-and-play golf course during the summer. And it was a location of a scene in the film Get Carter.
I got that wrong. Scene in Get Carter was Dryderdale Hall - looks similar though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, same place - quite a different set-up in 1981. Was used as football pitches for Newcastle University through the winter, then pay-and-play golf course during the summer. And it was a location of a scene in the film Get Carter.
It was the university sports set up for a few sports. I played cricket there many years ago. The pavilion became the greenkeepers storage and is now, either finished or planned, as on course accommodation. This is part of The Filly course, not the main Colt.

I think you are being a little unfair, although it's all opinion so we are allowed to disagree. I think they have done a heck of a job and used the shape of the land well. The whole set up, from the moment you drive in, is first class, with the one exception of the car park ?.

4LEX

Visit site
It's a good course but I think Worplesdon is hugely overrated. Woking and West Hill miles better. The Grove and The Belfry are nowhere near Top 100, just have good contacts. Rye is underrated probably because most haven't played it.

These lists are heavily biased to links golf so never really hold any worth with me. I imagine the guys that do the rating use it as a chance to have a few work perks and good days golf then try to cause some talking points :sneaky:;)

Leftie5.6

Visit site
It's a good course but I think Worplesdon is hugely overrated. Woking and West Hill miles better. The Grove and The Belfry are nowhere near Top 100, just have good contacts. Rye is underrated probably because most haven't played it.

These lists are heavily biased to links golf so never really hold any worth with me. I imagine the guys that do the rating use it as a chance to have a few work perks and good days golf then try to cause some talking points :sneaky:;)
There is merit in having separate lists for links courses and non-links. I find it very hard to equate my fave links RCD against my no. 1 inland course anywhere, Valderrama. When answering the Q, what’s your fave course I have to lay out parameters before answering

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
20 for me. 2 of which I've had the pleasure of being a member of. One or two missing from the list that were there that I have played.

Sadly, I won't be adding anymore to the list.

4LEX

Visit site
There is merit in having separate lists for links courses and non-links. I find it very hard to equate my fave links RCD against my no. 1 inland course anywhere, Valderrama. When answering the Q, what’s your fave course I have to lay out parameters before answering

Absolutely. I prefer inland courses purely because it takes weather out of the equation and relies more on ability. And I live near the Surrey heathlands so they're my first love. But I can appreciate someone who says links golf is real golf and the weather is just as much a part of it, as the course is. Never played Valderrama but have heard many things about how tough it is.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Absolutely. I prefer inland courses purely because it takes weather out of the equation and relies more on ability. And I live near the Surrey heathlands so they're my first love. But I can appreciate someone who says links golf is real golf and the weather is just as much a part of it, as the course is. Never played Valderrama but have heard many things about how tough it is.
Valderrama is mind-blowing. I’ve played it many times as my h/c has come down but I’ve never broken 30 points on it. If you have a pro standard short game, it’s very playable! However, my now toughest track is Le Golf National - it’s relentlessly intimidating. The 18th is one of the toughest holes in golf. It’s more beast than beauty, but like V or RCD, great opportunities to test your game.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It was the university sports set up for a few sports. I played cricket there many years ago. The pavilion became the greenkeepers storage and is now, either finished or planned, as on course accommodation. This is part of The Filly course, not the main Colt.

I think you are being a little unfair, although it's all opinion so we are allowed to disagree. I think they have done a heck of a job and used the shape of the land well. The whole set up, from the moment you drive in, is first class, with the one exception of the car park ?.
Yes, I'm probably being very unfair not merely a little, just an old nostalgic fool who feels sad when a pay-and-play or municipal disappears.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Yes, I'm probably being very unfair not merely a little, just an old nostalgic fool who feels sad when a pay-and-play or municipal disappears.
Also played cricket there in early 90’s. As a club it loves the smell of money so much it gives off an aroma of arseholes.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On reflection, the presence of The Belfry in the list is really worrying :censored::rolleyes:
I played The Belfry, on a beautiful sunny day on New Years day 1999.
I used to visit it a few times when my daughter was in the England elite squad and they trained there.
Went onto the course with quite low expectations and came off liking it, much to my surprise.

In the early days the range and carpark were a mess, They even had a night club which lowered the tone, and the clubhouse was like a Brewers Fayre.
I think that put a lot of folk off.

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played The Belfry, on a beautiful sunny day on New Years day 1999.
I used to visit it a few times when my daughter was in the England elite squad and they trained there.
Went onto the course with quite low expectations and came off liking it, much to my surprise.

In the early days the range and carpark were a mess, They even had a night club which lowered the tone, and the clubhouse was like a Brewers Fayre.
I think that put a lot of folk off.

The Bel Air was the best thing about the place. Especially when the Chippendales were performing
????