New GM Top 100 - how many have you played?

Leftie5.6

Visit site
On 82, 38 of top 50 and then 44. Still not done County Down, Sunningdale New or Sandwich. If I could spend a week in Ireland (which is unlikely) I could nudge the scoreboard on nicely
Try and play 36 on RCD and RSG. You get so much more second time round. Both in my top 5

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I gauged that. I can't remember quite where it was previously, I thought somewhere in the 80's but to drop out it must have dropped a lot of places. It hasn't been neglected or declined so I'm surprised that has happened.

It's not always a case of they have declined, but others have improved or gone past it. I liked it personally.

66 of the new top 100, for me.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
32 of that list, with 1 due to be added this year.

Looking at the ones I haven't done, there are a few in Ireland that I'd like to add to the list but there are a number I'm unlikely to play because I'd wouldn't choose to pay the green fee. My regular 4BBB partner has a trip lined up to Dumbarnie Links; it may be an extremely nice course, but it is not worth £258 to me, nor £328 for Kingsbarns. And I couldn't pay a green fee for a Trump course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
32 of that list, with 1 due to be added this year.

Looking at the ones I haven't done, there are a few in Ireland that I'd like to add to the list but there are a number I'm unlikely to play because I'd wouldn't choose to pay the green fee. My regular 4BBB partner has a trip lined up to Dumbarnie Links; it may be an extremely nice course, but it is not worth £258 to me, nor £328 for Kingsbarns. And I couldn't pay a green fee for a Trump course.
Cost can be a big thing when it comes to playing away courses.
I think there's 19 courses in this top 100 accessible for under 100 quid and they're likely to be twilight rates.
Factor in the cost of getting and probably staying there and add the cost of your membership and the numbers become quite large.
I'll cite this as one reason I haven't played many.

D

Deleted member 3432

Half my family are from Carlisle so I know you are telling porkies. ?
Damn, caught me out :ROFLMAO:

Ok, the weather is not so wonderful just character building.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Three.
Pennard - was a junior member for a year in early 1970s - so cost was minimal. Great course.
Ganton - North of England University Championship - many moons ago - cost nowt. Practice round and 36 holes next day. Superb course.
Belfry Brabazon - 1990s - corporate invitation - cost nowt. Agree with Ethan - seriously overrated course. Forest of Arden is far better.
Agree with Imurg - cost generally seems intended to be prohibitive. Probably another 1,000 courses where an equally enjoyable golfing experience can be found.
I'm not a cheapskate, just never been a golf tourist or golf holiday-maker. Serious golf-addict though.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Played it in 1981 and we actually did put money in the honesty box. I don't like what they've done to it now. Lost all its charm somehow.
Are you thinking of the right course? I thought Close House was a new development?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yep, same place - quite a different set-up in 1981. Was used as football pitches for Newcastle University through the winter, then pay-and-play golf course during the summer. And it was a location of a scene in the film Get Carter.