New Gear Vault video - Nike SQ Dymo2 driver

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great video lads! Seemed much more informative than previous club reviews, and also looked very good with the new 'layout' of the videos sections where two videos are playing at once.

One question though, having had a member of staff also test the fti-q driver what is the current verdict on the best square headed driver soon to be on/ already on the market.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

Without giving too much away as two of the latest square models feature in the next issue's test, this SQ Dymo was certainly the best square driver I've hit, and in fact it has stayed on in my bag for the last two or three rounds and looks set to take up slightly longer term residence.

There may be one or two other square drivers looming, but as we say in the video, this is the best Nike one to date in terms of looks, performance and that all-important impact sound

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried my mates callaway Fti that was pretty good, but not tried the others although i tried a nike squareway 4wood it wasn't bad but wasnt special

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Homer
You're right about Paul's hair - getting a bit big and scruffy - but gone are the days when you could dictate what kind of hairstyle youngsters wore to the office!!

madandra
Sound was mentioned quite a lot in the full edit, but most of the comments appear to have ended up on the cutting room floor (not that such a thing exists in the high-tech digital age). I did make passing reference to it in my final summary when I describe this as the best-sounding square Nike driver to date, and that is undoubtedly true - poles apart from the first one and an improvement on last year's too. I certainly don't have any issues with it, which I did with the earlier models

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
madandra,
Forgot to come back about the shaft.

This is a very different kettle of fish to Wilson's Fat Shaft - much more subtle, and you wouldn't be aware of it unless they told you, especially as it connects to the hosel in a conventional way unlike the Wilson Fat Shafts which slotted over a part of the neck rather than into it

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
madandra
not sure to be honest - to me it seems to make a lot of sense for average players, and maybe in this slightly thicker - rather than overtly fat - form it has a better chance of widespread acceptability than the Fat Shaft??

nicksampo

Assistant Pro
nicksampo.deviantart.com
Great video, just one thing, the backing music! Never again pleeeeeeease, if I wanted to hear that I could go down to the nearest video rental and pick something from the adult section!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 nice swings there guys.

I personally hate square drivers after having an FTI but the nike doesn't look to bad.

Jezz, do you ever use a Trackman or Vector to see your results or are the results all based on your own visuals?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Nice looking beast for a square driver, and the production looked more 'modern' on the video.

There is one point though, unless I missed it. But why do a lot of the club reviews always talk about clubs helping with a slice? I'm sure that it's not just me that suffers from a hook, and at a guess the last thing I need is a club that helps those players with a slice!

Not a gripe, just an observation.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
good point hapless, but the vast majority of amateurs suffer from a slice as opposed to a hook and as such it is often the main selling point for clubs. You don't get many drivers with a fade bias, but many with a draw bias. It suits the wider spectrum of the market so that is why it is included. ... I think!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
looked a bit slicker but I'm sure I remember that backing track from Pearl & Dean days.

would there be any mileage in seeing trackman data for the various clubs or is the data too personalised?

Jezz, looks (or should I say sounds) as if the 'best sounding' reference got the chop too and 'best performing' made it in.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
In reply to various posts...

TonyN - we normally go on feel and sight in our test, but on this occasion we were supposed to have a Trackman on hand. However, this fell through at the last minute, but I think it is something we will have from time to time on our tests

hapless - as others have hinted, a fade/slice is a far more common affliction than a draw/hook especially since the advent of 460cc heads which have proved trickier to square at impact. That is the reason why so many clubs focus on remedying a slice, although there are plenty of options for those fighting a hook including the Str8-fit version of this club (more of which elsewhere on this site) and the various weight adjustable models on the market

viscount - good spot! Last time I saw this before I uploaded it the summary said "best-looking, best-performing, best-sounding square Nike driver to date" but as you rightly say 2/3rds of this statement has disappeared in the final edit - I will try and find out why as the sound is obviously pretty important bearing in mind how bad the original sounded (retrospective apologies also to madandra on this one!!)

Finally, as for the music, the jury's out on this one so thanks for your feedback. It was much louder than this originally and we took it right back in the mix, so it would be good going forward to know who likes it and who doesn't (although that said, I fear it may be too late for the next two videos which have already been edited!)

Jezz