New dropping procedure...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
JamesR said: What's the rule if you drop & it bounces & hits you? Just a re-drop I presume

Jim8flog posted
14.3 c It does not matter whether the ball, after hitting the ground, touches any person, equipment or other outside influence before coming to rest: It just must remain in the relief area.

duncan mackie had already said: That would be a quick route to a penalty if it had come to rest in the relief area, in response to JamesR's post.

Jim8flog posted
See above

Not sure why you are correcting me, or directing me to your post?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have favoured a rule that allows anywhere from shoulder to knee
This 100%.

I think being able to drop from knee-height is a good idea. The ball is less likely to plug, or roll away causing a re-drop to be necessary. But I have no idea why they outlawed the old dropping height at the same time. As chrisd says, why didn't they just make it so you can drop from any height between knee and shoulder? There's no advantage to be gained from dropping it higher (the old way) other than to save you bending over, so why outlaw it??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This 100%.

I think being able to drop from knee-height is a good idea. The ball is less likely to plug, or roll away causing a re-drop to be necessary. But I have no idea why they outlawed the old dropping height at the same time. As chrisd says, why didn't they just make it so you can drop from any height between knee and shoulder? There's no advantage to be gained from dropping it higher (the old way) other than to save you bending over, so why outlaw it??

No idea if it was this or one of the other threads but there is the potential for an advantage if we don't all drop from a similar height, by deliberately dropping higher in order to increase the chance of ball running/rolling outside the drop area with the aim of eventually placing it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea if it was this or one of the other threads but there is the potential for an advantage if we don't all drop from a similar height, by deliberately dropping higher in order to increase the chance of ball running/rolling outside the drop area with the aim of eventually placing it
Ok but that was already happening with the old drop rule, so all you'd be doing is adding people the option of dropping it from a lower height so it doesn't roll as much. I don't see a problem with that. Why not allow a modicum of flexibility?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ok but that was already happening with the old drop rule, so all you'd be doing is adding people the option of dropping it from a lower height so it doesn't roll as much. I don't see a problem with that. Why not allow a modicum of flexibility?

No the old rule also had us all dropping from similar height to each other (shoulder) the only variance was someones physical height

Why would you want the dropping height to vary so much across a field of players (knee to shoulder could be several feet difference)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clever people will use shoulder height to manufacture a placing of the ball ( drop twice and place).
Knee height more or less eliminates this.
I think that’s the reason . If it works we’ll see .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No the old rule also had us all dropping from similar height to each other (shoulder) the only variance was someones physical height

Why would you want the dropping height to vary so much across a field of players (knee to shoulder could be several feet difference)
I meant you already had the scenario where it would roll on a slope and you end up placing it, that's all. So all you'd be doing was adding the option to drop from lower so it doesn't roll away, which when you look at that way round, doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

You have flexibility in where you drop, i.e. two club lengths away or straight back in line with the flag (in some situations), so I don't see why a tiny bit of flexibility in dropping height is the end of the world.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I meant you already had the scenario where it would roll on a slope and you end up placing it, that's all. So all you'd be doing was adding the option to drop from lower so it doesn't roll away, which when you look at that way round, doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.

You have flexibility in where you drop, i.e. two club lengths away or straight back in line with the flag (in some situations), so I don't see why a tiny bit of flexibility in dropping height is the end of the world.
Unfortunately rule makers don’t usually like flexibility,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JamesR said: What's the rule if you drop & it bounces & hits you? Just a re-drop I presume

Jim8flog posted
14.3 c It does not matter whether the ball, after hitting the ground, touches any person, equipment or other outside influence before coming to rest: It just must remain in the relief area.

duncan mackie had already said: That would be a quick route to a penalty if it had come to rest in the relief area, in response to JamesR's post.

Jim8flog posted
See above

Not sure why you are correcting me, or directing me to your post?

Sorry
I misinterpreted your post.

I realise you were saying it was a penalty if they redropped.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

You have that tiny degree of flexibility - guidance note's to rule officials make it clear that here, as with many other areas in the rules, the intention is for the player to reasonably estimate of their knee height in its not an absolute of (in my case) exactly 53cm.

In this there is arguably more lattitude than previously - but within a fundamentally different range (typically around one third of the previous height) which gives the ball significantly less energy to translate into lateral movement when it lands.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
+1 for this - feels weird - but no re-drops required
I was able to drop quite accurately, maybe because the grass was longish and wet and so it may change in the summer and roll off from my preferred spot. It'll definitely stop the mucking around if the ball rolls nearer the hole or rolls back towards hazard and the two drop and place. I'm old enough to remember the dropping over the shoulder and so the recently usurped method seemed very different to start with so no doubt we'll soon get used to the new method