New dropping procedure...

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
This is an example of people finding a problem where there isn't one. Drop from knee height, don't over think it - we all know where it is! It lessens the risk of the ball rolling away rather than stops it.

In the scheme of things its just not on my radar of things to complain about.

Wolf

Visit site
I don't see why people are finding it so hard, you don't need gorilla length arms or to contort in any way to do it.

Simple bend at the waist forward just like you do in the golf swing what's hard about that. Or can bend down on one knee much like a marriage proposal the other knee in this (lunged) position will still be same height as standing and drop from there.

Literally not an issue whatsoever and a decent change as lessens the risk of a dodgy bounce or lie when you've already taken a penalty stroke surely that's enough potential penalty.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
By now many, if not most, of us will have played to the new rules.
Many of us will have needed to take a drop, free or otherwise.
What's the forum's verdict on dropping from knee height..?

Personally, I think it's daft.
It's actually quite tricky to judge, within a cm or two, where knee height is, increasing the chances of having to re-drop.
Do you stoop, bend from the waist, hang arms down and tilt a little.....?
You're also dropping much closer to your body so the chances of the ball bouncing back onto your foot are increased.

Part of the premise for the knee high drop is to reduce the roll of the ball.
If you're playing on a flattish course the ball's not rolling far even if you drop from head height.
On an undulating or hilly course, especially in the summer, drop from any height and the ball is rolling..
An unnecessary change.

My tuppence worth....

What's yours?

what happens if you have 1 knee that is higher than the other?

D

Deleted member 15344

Not had to do it yet but I can’t see it being a big issue - people have to bend down to put the ball on the tee on every hole

D

Deleted member 15717

If somebody drops from shoulder height now I take it there is a 1 stroke penalty.

If this is the case do they need to re drop?

Only if they play it. If they drop incorrectly, they just redrop.

Not had to play it yet, but my arms, with a small kink, can get to knee height.

My personal feeling is that it should have just been a drop with your arms at your side

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the rule if you drop & it bounces & hits you?
Just a re-drop I presume

14.3 c
It does not matter whether the ball, after hitting the ground, touches any person, equipment or other outside influence before coming to rest:

It just must remain in the relief area.
That would be a quick route to a penalty if it had come to rest in the relief area.

See above

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First thing I thought when I read OP was “get a grip”. I don’t mean that to sound rude but knee height, shoulder height, arse height.... it makes no odds. Reminds me of when they introduced the 5p plastic bag tax. The English couldn’t handle it. All over the news, all upset, people perceiving all sorts of stupid problems. When it was finally introduced everyone just got on with it.

Take the ball, drop from around knee height and carry on. It really isn’t that complicated.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Done it just the once so far ... I think it's fine.

Not sure why there is concern over the variable height of people's knees? After all, shoulder height was variable as is "club length" & I assume most folk are content with that?

As to the actual height, knees are roughly at the same level as a coffee table - and I guess most folk could pick up/put down something on one of those? And as someone else said, you have bend a lot further to put in a tee.

And why knee height? To my mind it keeps an element of randomness, but means the ball is more likely to stay in the relief area - which give or take is roughly half the size of its old equivalent

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not had to do it yet but I can’t see it being a big issue - people have to bend down to put the ball on the tee on every hole
Not necessarily - some of our seniors use these ingenious gadgets to tee the ball up with (and pick tees up with!)😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-07-19-42-32-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-07-19-42-32-1.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 7

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First thing I thought when I read OP was “get a grip”. I don’t mean that to sound rude but knee height, shoulder height, arse height.... it makes no odds. Reminds me of when they introduced the 5p plastic bag tax. The English couldn’t handle it. All over the news, all upset, people perceiving all sorts of stupid problems. When it was finally introduced everyone just got on with it.

Take the ball, drop from around knee height and carry on. It really isn’t that complicated.
I think you will find it wasn’t the “(English “) that had a problem with plastic bags
It was the press and media here, and most of that is owned by foreign moguls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had to remind a PP to drop from knee height as he was about to drop the old way. I think it'll take some a while to get to grips with it. I had to take a drop from a path and it did feel self-conscious but picked a nice spot and the ball landed and stopped there and I made up and down so I'm happy