New driver .. Callaway

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any reason it has to be a callaway?

Id get on a monitor with all the makes and see what suits you best. You might be surprised.

Not sure that rogues or epics will come down much in retail price when the new one comes out. Id get a used epic from a pro shop now with a shaft you like.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
i do wish some of these reviews would be with guys with 100 MPH SS and less, with 115MPG, id imagine you hit most things long

Mark Crossfield would be the closest amongst the YouTube pros as his swing speed is in the 105mph bracket.

The Average Golfer is in that sort of swing speed bracket. Here is his review...

Btw, I am NOT sponsored by Titleist, a Titleist salesman or anything else of the sort!! :)

My driver is a Ping!! :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i do wish some of these reviews would be with guys with 100 MPH SS and less, with 115MPG, id imagine you hit most things long
You're right. You'd think that the vast majority of anyone's readership will be handicap golfers with an average swing speed, so it would make sense to me to have someone with an average swing speed do the testing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here is one from Mike Newton. He actually prefers the Callaway for both looks, feel and hits it further due to higher launch and lower spin with the Callaway, BUT the ball speed on the TS3 is higher. All the reviews I've seen have the TS2/3 ball speed right at the top of the charts...

Interesting, distance is down though. Plus side spin is higher, not really interested in the sub zero though.

D

Deleted member 15344

You're right. You'd think that the vast majority of anyone's readership will be handicap golfers with an average swing speed, so it would make sense to me to have someone with an average swing speed do the testing.
What’s the average swing speed ? It still wouldn’t give people much of an idea - but GM offer loads of opportunities for Handicap golfers to test various bits of equipment but a pro will 9/10 arrive with a consistent swing so you are going get a good indicator of how well the club goes when hit in the middle of face.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s the average swing speed ? It still wouldn’t give people much of an idea - but GM offer loads of opportunities for Handicap golfers to test various bits of equipment but a pro will 9/10 arrive with a consistent swing so you are going get a good indicator of how well the club goes when hit in the middle of face.
I'm sure they could find someone who gets consistent contact without smashing it at breakneck speed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was just to let you know that ball speed is NOT a reason to rule out the TS2/3 drivers.
Average golfer states they have caught up and yes they have and surpassed the TM m3 offering, but they are still in 2nd place. This is hyper critical, I know but the cost is key ... why pay more for a club that fails to have a stand alone performance or offers upgrade shafts at a reasonable cost?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Average golfer states they have caught up and yes they have and surpassed the TM m3 offering, but they are still in 2nd place. This is hyper critical, I know but the cost is key ... why pay more for a club that fails to have a stand alone performance or offers upgrade shafts at a reasonable cost?

They are not in 2nd place according to others e.g. the Mike Newton video you asked me to post has the TS3 beating the Callaway.

As for what driver you choose, that is absolutely 100% up to you, and how you choose one is also up to you. But IMHO I think you would be absolutely nuts to pay the price for any of these drivers simply on the basis of what some reviewers are saying. The TS2 or 3 could well be the best driver for you, or it could be one of the Callaways or maybe Ping or TM would suit you better. The only way you will know is to try them and then have a fitting for the ones you really like and then see what comes out on top.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes .. I have been stashing but I really don’t want to pay that out

Aye, just that bit too expensive for me even though I could afford it if I wanted to. At my level, I don't need a £500 driver.

I was pushing the boat out dropping £350 on my G400 Max, I wouldn't pay close to £500 for either the Titleist or the Callaway.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like AG don’t have the ts’ available, was going to trade a driver in, keep it realistic cost wise.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
but GM offer loads of opportunities for Handicap golfers to test various bits of equipment.

That’s right and it’s absolutely awesome, but generally it’s with a specific manufacturer. Imagine if they did a feature with three “handicap” golfers with a fitter who could fit any driver? I wonder how the results would differ, would they all be fitted for the same head or all different? Certainly would be an interesting read.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried M4, G400max, epic , ts2 and ts3 ... no rogues.
Ts3 was good, longest of that lot. Ts2 was as well just went pretty much every where.
Ping g400 max was good but had a regular shaft and not stable enough for me .. otherwise nice.
M4 worked for me but distance was down, more run out though .. wasn’t keen aesthetics did not appeal, which is silly.
Epic, was okay but not stand out for overall distance or feedback .. had this feeling after hitting a mates just once ( crazy I know, so I gave it another try).
So trade in deal isn’t double value, gave me an excuse to walk out, so I did.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tried M4, G400max, epic , ts2 and ts3 ... no rogues.
Ts3 was good, longest of that lot. Ts2 was as well just went pretty much every where.
Ping g400 max was good but had a regular shaft and not stable enough for me .. otherwise nice.
M4 worked for me but distance was down, more run out though .. wasn’t keen aesthetics did not appeal, which is silly.
Epic, was okay but not stand out for overall distance or feedback .. had this feeling after hitting a mates just once ( crazy I know, so I gave it another try).
So trade in deal isn’t double value, gave me an excuse to walk out, so I did.

I've got the Tour 65 Stiff in my G400 Max and I am NOT a fast swinger, normally a Reg shaft. It's a different beast with the Tour 65 shaft in it, the Alta Regular is very whippy IMO.

Deffo worth another go with the G400 Max if you can have a go with the Tour shafts.

Anything to save you the £500 for a TS3 :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just looking into the specs I tried and was having success with.. my first request was a high launching shaft. I was handed the evenflow 60s White shaft - not a high launch shaft. Flight was fine.