New Driver Advice

Down_The_Middle

Head Pro
Visit site
I normaly hit a 12* driver but now feel my game would benefit from a 10.5* driver. Any advice on a cheapish one as I dont want to fork out to many £s incase it doesnt work out. Cheers

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As has been echoed many times in here, don't think that a change in loft is necessarily the right thing to do.

You would be much more sensible in going to a pro or shop and trying various lofts, shafts, heads etc. out and seeing which delivers the best results (just look at the club section in GM to see what difference a suitable stick can do for someone).

As for what to eventually buy (and if you choose to ignore my words of wisdom!), consult the GM equipment section to see what scored well.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could also try an MD EQL which is by all accounts a pretty good club. May also want to have a look at a Benross V6 Trimass. Just bought the 3 wood and the quality is superb so the driver may be worth a punt

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't do it.......

What are you off d.t.m. ?

EXREMELY BAD IDEA.

If you really can't help yourself, I'll drive to meet you, we can swap my 10.5 for your 12.

Gain a couple of yards on 1 out of 5?, lose maximum carry and find that rough that little bit easier.

????? sorry.

Down_The_Middle

Head Pro
Visit site
Play off 24. Last week tried someones Hi bore and hit it a good 10 yards further consistantley. Might not change yet , might just need to get the idea out of the system

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you like the Hibore, get one in something friendly.

On a good day I hit it round under 80. When I was on about 16, I went down from a 11 to a 9, what a disaster. I wanted a 12 in the Callaway, but couldn't get one. The only reason I accepted the 10.5 was because I hit my driver quite "on the up" and my launch was 15-16 degrees - which is OK.

Try and get yourself on a machine that measures your swing speed and launch......if you can exceed 100 mph and get at least 14-15 degrees with a 10.5, then OK!!!
f.y.i. I get 90-95 mph with 15-16 degrees, that's about as good as I'll get. On a slower swing, as much as 17 degrees would be preferrable.....difficult to believe.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why........

Go get on a launch monitor and find out what the f**k is happening.

May be your mates shaft is a better fit, not the head.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember reading an article in GM a while ago about driver loft. From memory I think that the outcome was that most teen and above h/cappers, particularly those with average or lower swing speed, would benefit from more rather than less loft. This was mainly in relation to amounts of back spin and carry time I think. Obviously this was a somewhat generalised result as different shaft charactistics could be factored in but valid nevertheless.
Basically this seems to confirm what most of the other posters have said from their own experience.

saintdavid

Hacker
Visit site
Recently purchased the Macgregor mactec draw driver in 13.5 degree loft,wow! :eek: what a result,amazing carry distance and helped straighten my slice.Now cant wait for the fairways to firm up to get maximum roll on my drives as distance is
nearly all carry at moment.