New Clubs

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
So went for my fitting on Friday, also had my wife fitted for some clubs, she's been playing a while and has a Wilson starter 1/2 set so wanted to upgrade her to a full set.

Arrived at 10:30 and met Steve, I had met him before a couple of years ago but he remembered everything and was very chatty about everything.

My wife went first, a few warm up shots then onto the flightscope or whatever it was, sorry can't remember. What I liked was that he had a whole range of balls but made sure each of us were hitting the not only the same ball each time, but that they were the right ball for our swing speeds.

My wife was hitting her 7 iron, right of the bat he new they were too long, not difficult as my wife is 5' and she has off the shelf clubs. She was hitting her 7 iron between 80 and 100 yards with a lot being pushed out right (she's a lefty to boot) or hooking them around. He said that was very common for clubs that are too long as you will tend to dig the heel in and cause the face to twist, she was also catching a lot fat, again due to the length.

Initially he said the shafts were a pretty good fit and so he could just make them the right height for no charge, but I reminded him she needed a full set. So we tried out firstly a bright pink Yonex shaft, this bumped up distance a little, tightened dispersion and got her smash factor from 1.1 to 1.3 and her launch angle from 12 to 23 degrees, a big improvement. Then we tried the Hiskei IT50 shaft, not pink to my wife's relief. Smash factor got up to high 1.3 to low 1.4s distance up to 120. This was all with a Yonex head I should add.

After a few more shots it was decided the Hiskei was the way to go, so then we selected the head. Side note the difference between the Yonex ladies head and men's head was the men's had a red stripe on the back the ladies had a pink stripe, why on earth do manufacturers think all women want to play and wear nothing but pink.

So we went through the game improvement stock and had a look at Yonex, Wishon, ORKA. Ended up going for the ORKA CTi 5-SW the performance was up there with everything else and was slightly cheaper, plus my wife liked the green on the back.

My turn, jumped on the flightscope and much the same thing. Hitting my 7i 170 with a 25 yard dispersion pattern. Steve said it was two things, firstly the clubs were too short for me causing me to squat down into the shot rather than being able to turn through the shot, and secondly the shafs are 16 years old and got very very stiff meaning I'm not getting any help from them and I'm having to overpower the shot.

He went straight for a Nippon NSPro 1150s, I tried it wish a Hiksei head, distance went up a club to 180 and dispersion went from 25 to 10 yards. Tried another one but not quite as good. Then my turn to look at heads, stuck to forged clubs, Mizuno, ORKA, Hiskei and ended up with the Grindworks MB-1 (picture below)

Very soft feeling, they are uncommon in the UK but forged at ENDO and a very good club. Discussing things further Steve suggested that I hard step my shafts, I had to ask, which means putting the 9 iron shaft in the 8, 8 in the 7 and so on and so forth. He thought it would give me greater consistency, but said if it doesn't work he'll just move the shafts back again.

Finally opted for CHAMPKEY grips with less of taper to quiten down my right hand.

The components have been ordered and once assembled I'll go back for the biomatch fitting, that way he can gap them and do the biomatch in my wedges as well so everything swings the same
Great write up. Enjoy your new sticks.