New clubs - recommendations

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi guys and girls,

I'm looking at picking up some new clubs over the winter, getting properly fit for them. The new RSi or Big Bertha irons would be nice but probably a bit pricey, so really after any feelings people have about any slightly older models that should come in at a couple of hundred pounds rather than nearly a grand.

Or all they all much of a muchness performance wise and I should go with the ones I like the look of best?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Go and try as many as you can first with an open mind and don't go in with any preconceptions. Once you know what manufacturer you're interested in got to the fitter and see what comes out best and fits your budget. Be aware that if you want to go too far back then many fitters won't still access to the heads or get them made for you.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
My advice, dont go into a this with preconceived ideas as to what's the best set of irons for you. Hit as many as you can from a variety of manufacturers and you'll soon work out what you like, and more importantly what you don't. You'll then end up with the right set of clubs for you, and not necessarily the clubs with simply the right name on the bottom.

UP1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't just stick to OEMs either, try looking for independant club builders who can give you a more personal touch with brands that are lesser known but are just as good a quality. I've not got one major manufacturer in my bag but the quality is there.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Find a set that you like the feel of and how they look when you are standing looking down at them behind the ball. Nothing else matters. If you like how they look and you have confidence in them then you will play better. It doesn't matter what the numbers at the fitting say, if you don't like the way they look you'll never be happy with them.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi guys and girls,

I'm looking at picking up some new clubs over the winter, getting properly fit for them. The new RSi or Big Bertha irons would be nice but probably a bit pricey, so really after any feelings people have about any slightly older models that should come in at a couple of hundred pounds rather than nearly a grand.

Or all they all much of a muchness performance wise and I should go with the ones I like the look of best?

couple of ideas for you.....

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/TaylorMade-SpeedBlade-Golf-Irons-Steel-Shafts.html#SID=422

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Callaway-X2-HOT-Pro-Golf-Irons-Steel-Shafts.html#SID=292

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Mizuno-JPX-825-Golf-Irons-Steel-Shafts.html#SID=368

Just a couple of ideas to look around at that would be a great deal and have only just been replaced by newer models.

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
Go and try as many as you can first with an open mind and don't go in with any preconceptions. Once you know what manufacturer you're interested in got to the fitter and see what comes out best and fits your budget. Be aware that if you want to go too far back then many fitters won't still access to the heads or get them made for you.
The answer is this^

You won't know until you swing the thing , the mags all make them look shiney and exciting but means nothing you can't hit the thing

So get down to your local pro shop and just hit everything , then get fitted the difference the right shaft makes in feel and power is ridiculous

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to throw another very good iron at you Adams CB3 with the KBS 90 shafts great club and they should be a very good price.

Retread61

Assistant Pro
www.nutriment.co
The answer is this^

You won't know until you swing the thing , the mags all make them look shiney and exciting but means nothing you can't hit the thing

So get down to your local pro shop and just hit everything , then get fitted the difference the right shaft makes in feel and power is ridiculous

Loads and loads of good advice here especially the above, however my belief is the answer lies somewhere in between.

If you are working to a budget as you say then fitting, even with previous heads, just wont come into the couple of hundred that you quote as your budget.

The most cost effective way to get fitted and keep within spitting distance of a couple hundred is to :-

1, Try LOADS of clubs and settle on a set of heads you like looking at and that give you confidence.

2, Pay for a fitting session with the same or similar heads to determine shaft.

3, Get hunting online for the right heads in the right spec.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retread61

Assistant Pro
www.nutriment.co