New club advice please

Visit site
I'm currently playing off a 22 handicap and have been using a set of callaway razr x hl clubs that I purchased off the shelf 5 years ago. They have served me very well but have decided to invest in a new set.

Im looking at either the taylormade m2 2017 or the mizuno jpx 900 hot metal.

Found a good deal online for the taylormade but as the new range has come out in struggling to find some to try.

Any recommendations or advice on which set to opt for?

Cheers in advance

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you actually hit either? If so check what shaft you were using at the time, because there are so many options these days it's a minefield. If you get a shaft that suits you, you're more than half way there imo.

Welcome!

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
Go and test the clubs and get fitted.

I went to a fitting a year ago and had a few different clubs in my mind, tried them and was a little underwhelmed. Tried a few more and wasnt getting any better performance that the clubs I already had. I told the fitter I was probably going to leave it and save my money but tried one last club and instantly knew it was the one for me.

If i hadnt bothered going for a fitting I would have bought one of the first sets of irons I tried and then been disappointed with them. Learnt my lesson and now get fitted for every club or at least try them before buying them.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently had my first fitting, was thinking Cobra F7 or Mizunos, ended up 1/2" shorter 2 degrees flat and a set of Benross Clubs and wedges and Callaway XR woods. They turned up yesterday and I had a visit to the range and they felt great, role on tomorrow where I am playing 9 holes against my coach/pro for a final evaluation and see where I need to go next.

I played golf for about 10 years 25-35 then stopped for 10 years and have now been playing for 2 years. The 2 things I wish I had done were have lessons and get fitted. I have done both these over the last 6 months and it made me realise I should have made them a priority at the start as my game and swing is so much better than it was.

D

Deleted member 16999

Easiest way to try clubs with no obligation is in your nearest American Golf, see what you like then shop on line or as others have said find a pro that stocks and can fit you to the ones you want.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Barry my business is in Brentwood.

I would recommend going and seeing Kevin at American Golf Chigwell - in the Top Golf Centre, its about 15mins through the lanes.

They have a new fitting centre upstairs and loads of shaft options etc - Kevin done my second fitting, found him very good.

Go with an open mind, hit a load of irons, get a feel for what you like and then try some shafts.
On my Ping G400's the shaft change made a huge difference and it was a no cost upgrade.

Once you know what you want, AG price match or find someone else like the Discount shop in Brentwood who could order them in and give you a better price.

AG didn't charge me for fitting

Last edited:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good mate of mine has the jpx 900 which he got fitted for he tells me they are so easy to hit. If I was going to buy new irons I would try as many as I could first and then get fitted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with the others. Find a good fitter that stocks a number of brands, has plenty of shaft options and a launch monitor and enjoy the process. OPen mind, listen to what is suggested and don't be afraid to give feedback, good and bad when trying different shafts. Feel (which is personal) is as also important and can't be measured by anyone but you