New Car

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
However EU rules now mean a dealer has to replace everything they remove from a vehicle under warranty, and if they don't the consequences can be massive.
We had pads replaced on a VW van not that long ago, and they replaced the calliper bolts as well (they now come with the pads). Subsequently one sides bolts came free, and the calliper flopped loose. This was put down to a bolt issue, BUT....when asked why they changed the perfectly good bolts they said its because of EU rules now under warranty terms. Apparently there has been a couple of garages on the continent taken to court and fined heavily having not changed all the bits as they should and something unpleasant happened after.

That's incompetence and exceptions to what would normally be done. The Block Exemption still applies and dealers are still using this to dupe and fleece people.
Which EU rule is this you are referring to? Its been the case for a long time that bolts etc should be replaced when doing high stress components like calipers as the old threadlock will have become useless. If a garage has failed to torque a bolt properly and a caliper has come loose then that's just *** workmanship and nothing to do with the rules.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So we've gone from new cars, to selfishness, austerity, boasting, warranty and dodgy workmanship!

Love a good GM thread.

Ban phones on the golf course is my input.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Finally got my Volvo XC40 R Design last week, had to wait 8 weeks because of a shortage of the petrol engine!...absolutely love it so far! 3 year lease £320 per month, £2k up front, got to be the easiest way to get a new car. 3 years time hand it back, get another one Easy peasy!

*edit sorry to take the thread back on topic!😜

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So we've gone from new cars, to selfishness, austerity, boasting, warranty and dodgy workmanship!

Love a good GM thread.

Ban phones on the golf course is my input.

In fairness there is a direct link between new cars, PCPs, the need for servicing as part of a PCP and warranty. And along with that, the myth that the dealer must do the service. Its just wrong and one that dealers scare people with.
BMW wanted £330 for my A interval service (oil and air/pollen/oil/fuel filters). Bought all original parts for £165 and it took me an hour. Half the price. Its nothing short of a scam.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally got my Volvo XC40 R Design last week, had to wait 8 weeks because of a shortage of the petrol engine!...absolutely love it so far! 3 year lease £320 per month, £2k up front, got to be the easiest way to get a new car. 3 years time hand it back, get another one Easy peasy!

A mate of mine has one and is chuffed to bits with it. He gave me a lift recently and I was hugely impressed by every aspect. A big leap forward from my own previous Volvo's.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say paying interest is dead money. I always look for 0% apr deals. Means a big deposit on occasion but giving away money as interest hurts. I like people to work for their money.
I have used car wow, best thing is to decide on the car be open about colour settle on options and spec. Then haggle like mad.. every thing is open for a haggle.
I have always managed 18% minimum discount from asking price (which has never been list ) . But there is far more available, if you chase 35% discount they are still making a reasonable profit. Choose time as well end of the month is good .. play the locals off if you can.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When you own your own car you can take it wherever you want to get serviced – or even do it yourself if you are so inclined. Saves a lot of money.

It doesn't.
Trade your car in with a service book stamped with "Joe Bloggs Autos" and I can guarantee you won't be offered as much for it than if it had the appropriate main dealers stamps in it.
So you've saved a couple of hundred pounds over 3 years by having it service by Joe Bloggs, but you're offered a couple of hundred pounds more for it when it's been main dealer serviced.
Where's the saving????

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It doesn't.
Trade your car in with a service book stamped with "Joe Bloggs Autos" and I can guarantee you won't be offered as much for it than if it had the appropriate main dealers stamps in it.
So you've saved a couple of hundred pounds over 3 years by having it service by Joe Bloggs, but you're offered a couple of hundred pounds more for it when it's been main dealer serviced.
Where's the saving????

The last few cars I've traded in they have never asked about service history other than has it been serviced?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not true. The European Block Exemption (sometimes called the OEM Act) states that as long as the servicing agent uses appropriate parts and in line with intervals, warranties remain intact. Too many dealers are spouting this crap and getting away with it.

Is this another thing we can ignore after Halloween?.... Sign me up Scotty

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It was one of the cars on my list but never got around to seeing it. Have they updated it to the XC90 standards? My local Volvo guys are very stingy when it comes to deals. Tried a lot with them when i was in the market a few years ago and they would not budge. Played the normal car salesman trick of 'you should speak to my manager and this is the best deal'... ended up buying a better speced XC60 from the midlands. Now its coming up for renewal, suddenly I am plantium invitee. :0 CarWow has flattened the market.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My son is just changing his XC60 for a new one.
He had the first on a 4 year deal but he was so pleased with it he kept it and changed after 9 years and 200,000 miles. Pleased as punch with the new spec but it only comes as automatic. Nearly 4k cheaper that the opposition.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It was one of the cars on my list but never got around to seeing it. Have they updated it to the XC90 standards? My local Volvo guys are very stingy when it comes to deals. Tried a lot with them when i was in the market a few years ago and they would not budge. Played the normal car salesman trick of 'you should speak to my manager and this is the best deal'... ended up buying a better speced XC60 from the midlands. Now its coming up for renewal, suddenly I am plantium invitee. :0 CarWow has flattened the market.

Think the 40,60 and 90 are all very similar inside now, with the huge touchscreen controlling most of the equipment. My last car was the xc60 but I wanted something a little smaller so my wife would drive it more. Was interested in the BMW X1 or x2 but the local garage was hopeless, but like you about a month after I had pulled the trigger on the Volvo the Bmw dealer called me launching into a speil about an invitation only event, special deals blah blah blah.
Loving the 40 so far even though some of the features like the Lane departure warning system takes a bit of getting used to. Basically if you don’t indicate the thing swerves you back into your lane! Did cause a panic 1st time it happened!😬

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think the 40,60 and 90 are all very similar inside now, with the huge touchscreen controlling most of the equipment. My last car was the xc60 but I wanted something a little smaller so my wife would drive it more. Was interested in the BMW X1 or x2 but the local garage was hopeless, but like you about a month after I had pulled the trigger on the Volvo the Bmw dealer called me launching into a speil about an invitation only event, special deals blah blah blah.
Loving the 40 so far even though some of the features like the Lane departure warning system takes a bit of getting used to. Basically if you don’t indicate the thing swerves you back into your lane! Did cause a panic 1st time it happened!😬
Presumably you can turn this off. Should be somewhere in the settings.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Presumably you can turn this off. Should be somewhere in the settings.

Yes it’s straightforward enough but as it’s a safety feature and I do take a few long journeys a year to Cumbria and the Highlands I think I should try to get used to it rather than disable it. I think it only operates over a certain speed, maybe 50mph? It doesn’t work around town, not sussed it all out yet, only done 105 miles!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Why would you want to??? Helps reduces accidents and gets people to signal

So when confronted by a situation which means you need to change lane urgently, the system will swing you back into the very danger you are trying to avoid because you didn’t indicate; that sounds like a good reason to turn it off to me.