New bunker rule for qualifiers

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We are playing our first qualifying comp tomorrow and I received an email saying that a player can

Bunkers
This, enhanced, local rule will apply to competitions: When a player’s ball lies in a bunker, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball, or another ball, in and playing it from this relief area: • Reference Point: Spot of the original ball • Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: 6 inches from the Reference Point and within the same bunker In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e. The surface of the bunker may not be smoothed before placing the ball under this Local Rule. Breach of this Local Rule will incur a General Penalty under Rule 14.7a

Personally I like it given some of the lies I've had recently- do you share my view?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The R&A offered one club length , it is CONGU who insisted on 6".

I have been in a lot of bunkers where 6" is not going to get a better lie particularly if someone was wearing size 10s when shuffling their feet around.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The R&A offered one club length , it is CONGU who insisted on 6".

I have been in a lot of bunkers where 6" is not going to get a better lie particularly if someone was wearing size 10s when shuffling their feet around.

But at least we can place it 6" away and not have to drop it so it plugs

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But at least we can place it 6" away and not have to drop it so it plugs

I am happy to see some sort of concession has been made but I bet there will be some people who still cannot work out what 6 inches is:mad:

We have yet to discuss which of the newly available LRs we will use as we are not starting comps until July at the earliest.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
CONGU said in addition:
if the condition of bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes.

In the document 'Play Safe, Stay Safe' England Golf says:

But if the Committee feels that the enjoyment of the game is being significantly affected by there being no rakes, it may introduce preferred lies in bunkers and provide that a player may place a ball in the bunker within one club-length of the original spot and not nearer to the hole than that spot.

I can confirm that the 6" rule applies for qualifiers

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a local rule, free drop nearest point of relief within the bunker for finishing in an unpleasant state in a bunker.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Presumably that's only for social golf or non-qualifying comps? As it doesn't match either of the approved LRs for Q comps.
No idea,its the first comp since lockdown and is a test comp.

Edit:
Just had an update on the preferred lies in bunkers. Its place within 1 club length no nearer the hole.:)

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
We are playing our first qualifying comp tomorrow and I received an email saying that a player can

Bunkers
This, enhanced, local rule will apply to competitions: When a player’s ball lies in a bunker, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball, or another ball, in and playing it from this relief area: • Reference Point: Spot of the original ball • Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: 6 inches from the Reference Point and within the same bunker In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e. The surface of the bunker may not be smoothed before placing the ball under this Local Rule. Breach of this Local Rule will incur a General Penalty under Rule 14.7a

Personally I like it given some of the lies I've had recently- do you share my view?

Same wording issued for our imminent comps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea,its the first comp since lockdown and is a test comp.

Edit:
Just had an update on the preferred lies in bunkers. Its place within 1 club length no nearer the hole.:)
6" is the requirement for qualifying scores under CONGU.
1 club length is the England Golf suggestion for social (no qualifier) golf

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
6" is the requirement for qualifying scores under CONGU.
1 club length is the England Golf suggestion for social (no qualifier) golf
Why wouldn't England Golf follow the guidance from the ruling body (R&A)? Or is just an ongoing issue of England vs Scotland.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has nothing to do with the R&A. They have no involvement in handicapping system rules.
CONGU determine what may or may not be done re handicapping for all the home nations (ie England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland). England Golf have simply made a recommendation of 1 cl for social golf. It does not apply for handicap qualifiers. CONGU has specified 6" for qualifiers

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've already had this "discussion" with some of our members ahead of our first competition on June 27th. It ended up with them simply being told that if they did not like it, then do not enter the competition. If anyone is seen moving it more than six inches, they will be disqualified and subject to potential further action if it was repeated and/or blatant disregard to the rules.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We received the enclosed which is copied in part:

The attached document ‘Competition Protocols Under Covid-19 Restrictions’ outlines the new procedures which must be followed for competition play. Please READ THE DOCUMENT carefully and in full as not doing so could lead to disqualification from a competition.

NEW LOCAL RULE

From Friday 5th June 2020 a new temporary local rule concerning preferred lies in bunkers comes into effect as follows:

"When a player's ball lies in a bunker, the player may take free relief once by marking the ball’s original position and then placing the ball back in the bunker within 6 inches of its original position, not nearer the hole. The ball may be cleaned before being placed."

ThiS specifies Competition play.

Do you feel relief will be available in roll ups/ none competitions?

D

Deleted member 3432

It has nothing to do with the R&A. They have no involvement in handicapping system rules.
CONGU determine what may or may not be done re handicapping for all the home nations (ie England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland). England Golf have simply made a recommendation of 1 cl for social golf. It does not apply for handicap qualifiers. CONGU has specified 6" for qualifiers

Little wonder that the majority of golfers have little knowledge of the rules.

Common sense at this time would suggest keeping things as simple as possible if we have to play qualifiers during a pandemic :rolleyes:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We received the enclosed which is copied in part:

The attached document ‘Competition Protocols Under Covid-19 Restrictions’ outlines the new procedures which must be followed for competition play. Please READ THE DOCUMENT carefully and in full as not doing so could lead to disqualification from a competition.

NEW LOCAL RULE

From Friday 5th June 2020 a new temporary local rule concerning preferred lies in bunkers comes into effect as follows:

"When a player's ball lies in a bunker, the player may take free relief once by marking the ball’s original position and then placing the ball back in the bunker within 6 inches of its original position, not nearer the hole. The ball may be cleaned before being placed."

ThiS specifies Competition play.

Do you feel relief will be available in roll ups/ none competitions?

It is entirely up to the club. But I think it inadvisable to have two Local Rules in force, so I would have the 6" rule for all play.

Last edited:

kayenhere1

Visit site
CONGU said in addition:
if the condition of bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes.

In the document 'Play Safe, Stay Safe' England Golf says:

But if the Committee of ninja feels that the enjoyment of the game is being significantly affected by best store being no rakes, it may introduce preferred lies in bunkers and provide that a player may place a ball in the bunker within one club-length of the original spot and not nearer to the hole than that spot.

I can confirm that the 6" rule applies for qualifiers

Same wording issued for our imminent comps.