Never up, never in?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be: Unplayable ball, stroke & distance pen and I'll take the putt again (y)
With hindsight he should have done that, but he probably felt he could chip it close rather than chunking it into the bunker. :LOL:

Probably just me but the pin position is a bit ridiculous if that can happen, it looked like he barely touched that putt.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
With hindsight he should have done that, but he probably felt he could chip it close rather than chunking it into the bunker. :LOL:

Probably just me but the pin position is a bit ridiculous if that can happen, it looked like he barely touched that putt.

Yeah any decent pro probably wouldn't even consider it... mere mortal like me, as soon as it was off the green heading south I'd be dropping my marker down knowing the odds of holing the repeat putt were just as good (or even better) as my chances of chipping it close... too short and its back at your feet, too long and you've got that same putt anyway, scary stuff!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I remember the US Open, the one Goosen won....one green was so hard and fast that, during practice, a caddy placed a ball 18 inches beyond the flag.......
And the ball rolled 30 yards off the back of the green under its own steam.....
Sometimes golf just ain't fair.....

D

Deleted member 29109

I remember the US Open, the one Goosen won....one green was so hard and fast that, during practice, a caddy placed a ball 18 inches beyond the flag.......
And the ball rolled 30 yards off the back of the green under its own steam.....
Sometimes golf just ain't fair.....
Was that the one they had to water between groups as the ball wouldn’t stay on the green?

D

Deleted member 29109

You have to say he was unlucky and I assume no-one else suffered the same fate. Seemed to scramble his head hence the poor pitch but it wasn't a poor putt and didn't deserve that outcome

Disagree that it wasn’t a poor putt. He’s hit it miles past. Unfortunate maybe, that it went off the green. But a pro should be able to assess the danger and play an appropriate shot.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It missed the hole and went off the green. If that’s not a poor putt I’d hate to see what a bad putt looks like. ?

Reactions: SyR

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be: Unplayable ball, stroke & distance pen and I'll take the putt again (y)

I did the same thing in a match a couple of years ago, I knew about the unplayable rule but in the heat of the moment forgot all about it, I was putting for birdie, finished with with a triple bogey.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I did the same thing in a match a couple of years ago, I knew about the unplayable rule but in the heat of the moment forgot all about it, I was putting for birdie, finished with with a triple bogey.
Your ball doesn‘t have to be unplayable - that’s a common/popular misconception.

You can take S&D at any point and under any circumstances and the player alone can decide when to take it.

Ball might be sitting perfectly and in the middle of the fairway but if the player simply doesn’t fancy the shot faced then an option is to take S&D and put the ball back to the place it was before, and that point can be anywhere including much closer to the hole - relative proximity to the hole of where ball was and where it ended being irrelevant.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you'd been a member at Grims Dyke a few years back, you'd have seen the same thing in the club championship on the 10th. It was carnage. A mate of mine playing off 7 was on the green with his tee shot and walked off with an 8. Someone scored 13. I got a 9, which included TWO instances of taking S&D after putting off the green.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd have to see it from the side to be sure but to me it looked like the ball virtually stopped on about three occasions including before the hole. Which to me means the green was to fast for that pin location.

D

Deleted member 29109

I'd have to see it from the side to be sure but to me it looked like the ball virtually stopped on about three occasions including before the hole. Which to me means the green was to fast for that pin location.

It wasn’t close to stopping before the hole. It was 10ft past the first time it virtually stopped.