Netflix subtitles issue

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Watched Nobody last night. English language film but quite a lot of Russian dialogue between the baddies. Had subtitles turned off ("Original English" selected), expected subtitles to come up for the foreign bits, but they didn't. So changed it to Original English with subtitles, and got subtitles for everything including the English dialogue.

Anyone know what setting I need to just get subtitles for the foreign bits? Am using the Netflix app on a Samsung smart tv..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seen the issue a number of times. I’ve not found a solution to it either. Hopefully we’ll see a fix from someone.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Through my sky q box, Samsung TV only 1 year old. As I say though, we get Netflix through our sky box so the tech is bang up to date.
Did a bit of googling and it appears that Netflix simply didn't bother to hard code the foreign subs. Some people saying that this is relatively common as per Hobbit's comment. I could understand that for something obscure, but not their current No 1 film!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s nothing to do with your equipment, it’s because Netflix keep doing something weird or wrong with subtitling. It looks intentional, for unknown reasons because it’s being done with a lot of content they’re showing.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ha I watched this the other week and thought it a bizarre decision from the director not to subtitle when the Russians were speaking. Hadn’t realised it was a Netflix decision/issue.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
What a timely thread, I watched Tetris last night, ticked the no subtitles and had no clue what all the Russians were talking about! When I put subtitles on it just said “Speaking Russian”! 😁

Excellent film though. 👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha I watched this the other week and thought it a bizarre decision from the director not to subtitle when the Russians were speaking. Hadn’t realised it was a Netflix decision/issue.
I haven't seen it but within the context of the film would the non-Russian characters be expected to have understood what was being said in Russian. I would suggest that the characters would be in ignorance.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I haven't seen it but within the context of the film would the non-Russian characters be expected to have understood what was being said in Russian. I would suggest that the characters would be in ignorance.
Yeah that was my assumption too. Thought it was odd - but it didn’t really impact the story which was centred mainly around the action.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There are a couple of key and reasonably lengthy scenes with Russians talking to other Russians. Without knowing what was being said, the viewer would struggle to fully understand the plot. I had to rewind them and put the subtitles on to get the gist of it.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched Nobody last night. English language film but quite a lot of Russian dialogue between the baddies. Had subtitles turned off ("Original English" selected), expected subtitles to come up for the foreign bits, but they didn't. So changed it to Original English with subtitles, and got subtitles for everything including the English dialogue.

Anyone know what setting I need to just get subtitles for the foreign bits? Am using the Netflix app on a Samsung smart tv..
Yes I remember this when I watched it months ago. I just left it on English subtitles all the way through.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Had same issue with Nobody. I switched to subtitles but then got all the English subs [menacing music] et al, switched the subs straight off at that point and just ignored the Ruskies….. they were all gonna die anyways… 😎

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Same on my Samsung phone