Need distance

Callawayplayer85

Medal Winner
Visit site
I get good distance with my driver/woods my long irons and short irons BUT when it comes to my pitching wedge or sandwedge and i need to hit it 100 yards i cannot do it, i hit about 50 yards full swing im not sure if im hitting too much down on the ball as i hit the ball very high with every club. please help

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I get good distance with my driver/woods my long irons and short irons BUT when it comes to my pitching wedge or sandwedge and i need to hit it 100 yards i cannot do it, i hit about 50 yards full swing im not sure if im hitting too much down on the ball as i hit the ball very high with every club. please help

Re: The bit in bold. Why do you?

Callawayplayer85

Medal Winner
Visit site
As many people pointed out i do not get any good distance for example i am 70yards from the green i take my pw,and try pitching to the green and then it will always land short of the green by 10-20 yards the ball goes higher i dont want that i want to be able to pitch the ball onto the green

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like me. I hit driver woods and long irons pretty long but the shorter the iron the more distance I seem to lose (relative to longer clubs). For me it's a case of releasing the club to early, not mainting lag in to impact. This creates a shallow angle of attack and added loft on the club, also results in a lot of slight heavy contacts.

The shallow angle of attack is good for woods, not so great for scoring clubs.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
non handicap n00b here.

I had the same 'fear' some years ago. I say 'fear' because it took me an age to realise that i quite simply wasn't playing the same shot that i was for my mid-irons. Subconciously, i was telling myself that a 3/4 gentle swing would get it to where i thought it would go.

I dunno why i wasn't commiting to the shots but after a long break from golf, started on the range with a complete fresh attitude and started hitting my PW 110yds. After a few more sessions now go 120yds with the PW and 100yds with my gap wedge. What did i do differently...i simply commited to the shot with a full backswing, controlled, and committed all the way through the shot with a full follow through without trying to blast it.

Hopefully its mind over matter with the wedges for you as it was me because thats the most technical advise i'm qualified to give :D

A

Alex1975

Im thinking the harder you hit the lofted clubs the higher they go... try chilling back a little and getting a good stroke rather than trying to beat up on them.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if they are going too high you may not be hitting down on them enough. do you take divots with your irons/ short irons?