Nearly ready, steady go.....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
So; I was ready was I? I suppose the good scores anticipated will come later in the week then. For those that have to haul that barge or tote that bale during the week, thought I’d give you an update on the golfing sojourn to make you jealous.

Although we’re staying in Ayrshire, Sunday was a visit to Buchannan Castle.It’s not especially close but one party needed taking to see the bonny bonny banks of Loch Lomond before playing. It’s a James Braid parkland course – just over 6000 yds with no par 5s – but has some spectacular views up the valley to Ben Lomond (though you can’t actually see the loch from there). Didn’t have high hopes of a good afternoon as it lashed it down as we arrived, but an hour later the sun came out just as we stepped onto the first tee. Highlight was a chip-in birdie on the third, but things went downhill after that. I managed to make it into the twenties on stableford – but only just. Got passed by the Ladies Club Championship match final on 16th. Reigning champion was fighting to save her crown – if I counted from the honours board correctly she’d been champion 16 times in the last 23 years – so if you’re still out their CC07, you’ve got a way to go yet !

Monday morning was just outside Largs at Routenburn where Sam Torrance was taught to play by his father Bob. Another James Braid course on the lochside hills with spectacular views across to the Isle of Bute. A shortish course (no par 5s on this one either) but an interesting test of golf and some greens are small with steep banks to punish if you miss. Worth going back just for the views though. 32 points.

After a quick lunch, the afternoon was down the coast at West Kilbride, a true links course designed by Tom Morris, on the shore of the Firth of Clyde with views across to Arran. A bit pricer than the first two courses, but well worth the money. In stunning condition and a real test of golf. Breezy to say the least, and when Arran disappeared into the rain we feared the worst but luckily it wasn’t too bad until after we finished. My golf was a mixture of the ridiculous and the sublime. Only 27 points. Got passed on the 14th by the Junior Championship final – which had been delayed from Saturday since one of the lads had been competing in – and won – the Men’s Championship. His opponent was the reigning Men’s champion – they obviously breed them young and good around here ! AliB – if you’re still looking for an Ayrshire course, you good do a lot, lot, worse than West Kilbride.

Not decided about today yet. May go for more links, but it is a tad windy – the trees must be tired as they seem to be bending sideways and trying to lie down. Ah, what the heck – it’s supposed to be windy on the links. Let’s go…..

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played west kilbride and i will say the same what a course. I was there playing match play in the scottish boys in my early days.

T

thecraw

West Kilbride is nice, back nine much better than the front nine in my opinion. Shame you missed out on Largs Kelburn thats a nice track and super greens.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
So - Tuesday was at Irvine (at Bogside, not Ravenspark). With a round costing £50, a day ticket at £60 was too good to pass up. Quite possibly the best links course I've played so far. It crucified me in the morning but I played some modestly decent golf in the afternoon. If you get chance to play there - do!

Wednesday was to Lanark - as mentioned in another thread, a bogie course for one of us and he had to get his revenge. Whilst he didn't murder the course, he did knock off 30 strokes from his previous round there. My golf plummetted. Was so awful that half way round I stopped scoring and just played practice shots up the fairways whilst the others finished their round. (On last 6 fairways, I hit just two decent 6 iron shots) Would have sold my clubs for a fiver if anyone had offered to buy. Still thinking about it if anyone wants them. And dreading going out today. (I know it's only a game, and going to the pub instead is an option, but fearing that your first shot is bound to be a slice into the starters breakfast is daunting. Especially when you know you can do better. Ah well...)