My swing,

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, here it is, in all it's horror. The lighting is a bit strobe like, as the camera picks up the SON lighting, and breaks it up, so not for those with photo sensitive epilepsy.

I am hitting it fine, but everything goes stupid high because my hands are at best level with the ball at impact. Clearly there is zero lag, and most club flex is long gone before impact.

Ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XiI...ist=ULbDo5KGJofFg&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDo5KGJofFg&feature=BFa&list=ULbDo5KGJofFg&lf=mfu_in_order

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Would like to comment but it would undoubtably be wrong.

Doesn't have to be wrong in my view, as I am clueless at present. PM me then Bob, as I am interested in your views. This is meant to be a conventional swing, not something unique!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That swing should get you round a golf course, though I'd think you need to aim a smidgeon left? Seems to have been quite a bit of teaching done already?

Bob's 'the expert' so ignore what the rest of us say (including this :D).

S&T could be something for you though - purely imo of course!;)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like the strobe effect: looks rather like a David Lynch movie, which is obviously a good thing :thup:

You bend the left arm quite a lot on the backswing - there may be an anatomical reason for this, like a knackered elbow? Personally I'd find it quite hard to retain lag while my arm was bending then straightening.

I like the way you drop it inside into "the slot" at the start of the downswing. Looks pretty cool.... no idea if it's a good thing but doesn't do Rory any harm :fore:

Is it S&T? Looks fairly S&T from the front. Very centred and weight does stack quite a lot.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I thought you were trying S&T ?

No, I am going conventional (does my swing look that far from it?). There are a few reasons, but the main one is that I wanted to have some lessons, as self teaching can only get you so far. The S&T coach in my area is scary money, and very hard to get hold of last time I tried, so I have the hump with him.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your left arm collapses, you can see this most clearly 7 secs into the second video. The other observation Murph is that your hands are way too forward at address IMO. Something that cant be seen but might also be present is tension in the arms. Try to relax them , you find you can swing much more freely with relaxed arms.

Thats my 2 pennies worth take it with a pinch of salt if required:mmm:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who saw your "old" swing, I like the look of this one! The changes are black and white and it looks a lot more comfortable. I would say that all the hard work is paying off.

I can't comment on what you're not doing (other than your left arm collapsing) as I'm a 19 handicap hacker but at least I won't have to look away every time you swing next time we play. :thup: ;)

S

Snelly

Looks very good.

If you can, get that left arm straight. Slightly more shoulder turn might facilitate this.

Looks nice enough to me though. Lovely still head through the swing....

I don't know much about swing mechanics though!

Keep persevering Murph!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
looks nice

love the change of direction at the top, looks like a very tour pro type movement.

take my thoughts as a piece of salt - 16 handicap

your right arm looks fully extended at impact, i'd say your extending the right arm to early causing you to flick the ball up in the air, right hand seems to overtake the left during impact, i think im correct in saying the right should only extend fully after impact

id probaly do some half swings keeping the left arm straight and letting the right flex and stay relatively tucked into your body

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My tuppence.

I reckon a drill of hitting left-handed only (half to three-quarter swings) would be worthwile. Left arm does seem to be straight (or getting out of the way) for too much of the swing. The left handed only hitting should get you used to the 'proper' hinge-ing of the elbow and wrist and result in more of a swing than the current sweep.

The forward-press that Sawtooth to refers probably contributes to the high ball flight. Your arms at impact seem fine - full stretch (almost) - but the fact that they are not when you address the ball means you have to make room - by lifting out of the way. A case for Bob's V gadget? Others might say 'stand tall and straight but relaxed'.

Seem to have a weak left hand and strong right one too - might change when the forward press goes and comfort is generally more important than classicism imo but what do I know!

And your hips don't turn much on the backswing but slide forward on the downswing.

Wouldn't be ashamed of that swing. Scores are made from the short game. The rest is just a case of getting there! Now where that bucket of salt to smother this crock of...:D

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
First let me say thats a bloody good swing there. Dont worry about the slight bent arm at the top. I have played it though about 50 times. The only two things I can see (Bob may say differant). 1 when your arms are in the half swing position you should have a full 90* wrist cock your is about 70/75*. 2 there is a tendancy to start to release from the top of your downswing. A practise drill I use is to just use halfswings with full wrist cock and try to really whip the hands though the hiting area as your hands start to get level with the ball. So by the time the club reaches the ball your hands will be infront. Do it without a ball as well then you can do it indoors. But as I said thats a damn good swing dont mess to much with it. Hope this helps, but it can't do any harm(hope not anyway).

A

Alex1975

Not really helpful but I like it, its a nice looking swing...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob....... let's leave it to Bob :rolleyes:

I'll not comment as I wouldn't want to contradict anything Bob might say. Too many cooks.

Nice posture at set up Chris... I said to myself "Who is that?" :thup: