My swing,

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
OK...I know big words confuse you Chris so I'll try and fix your swing with 2 words and 1 picture :D

The explaination will come afterwards and you can ignore that bit if it gets too complicated :whistle:

Here goes............

SWING LEFT

swingleft.gif

Here's the pic as an attachment as i made it a bit too big...
swingleft.jpg

Long winded explaination part:

Your hands are working away from your body and they can't do that with the swing you are trying to do now.
The push-draw pattern is very much inside-out (as per S&T) where the hands move out or down the line. The issue is that as your swingplane gets steeper (more online) you can't do that outwards movement with the hands... you'll start shanking (no comment). An online swing will produce smaller shapes as it's more of an in-to-in swingpath so you shouldn't even be thinking about hitting a BIG draw of any sort.

Swinging left: What you need to 'feel' is on your downswing your hands lead, stay low and forward, and go practically into your left pocket before you hit the ball :) Your left shoulder on the downswing should 'feel' like it stays low, this will enable you to keep the hands forward and create lag. The club should 'feel' like you've left it a little open. D-plane show us that an in-to-in swing will produce a straight shot if you swing slightly left with the face a fraction open.

You'll still be swinging from the inside (as you currently drop the club nicely in transition) however it will be more 'online' and provided you don't roll the release at all (clubface 2° open to path) should result in nice straight ball flight, a baby draw, and little push-fades. If you roll then that puppy is going low and left!!!!... however it should almost 'feel' like you're going to slice (it's impossible to slice unless you have a big difference between clubface and swingpath, the only way you'll do it would be to leave the face waaaay open)

Onto the release.

You're hands need to be leading the club, if you are swinging into your left pocket you should get all the lag you need. To hit a push-fade you open your left hip (like a spin) to hit straight shots you spin with extension (about 50/50) and to hit a draw you extend (up) hard with little/no spin.

At the moment your head backs out of the shot as you come into impact, that's because it's trying to create the space for your hands to swing out... if you put 'em in your left pocket and have them forwards you should be able to stay more over the ball with your torso, covering the ball. Don't forget to do all the things you're currently doing though.. hips forward, drop in transition etc otherwise you'll end up having something else to fix!!

Here's a vid... it's a good one, pay attention to where he says "it felt like this......", it's not an over the top move provided you drop the club in transition.

[video=youtube;b6cntSpVbZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cntSpVbZo[/video]

so I hope that helps... swing left!

Here's one more vid (for luck and to make you feel like the special guy you are.... :p)... this is the swing that it looks like you should be after... watch the hands ;) (Note: here he is hitting a little push-fade so the hips turn hard left with little extension)

[video=youtube;XBJiqXesAUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBJiqXesAUc[/video]

I like what you're doing there Chris,........ always thought you looked like Charl :whistle: :thup:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm sorry James but I understood that Murph wanted a conventional swing. Didn't realise you had taken over all teaching methods.:whistle:

I'm pretty good with all swings thanks Rich :D :ears:

I happen to not like the ones where there's a ton of weight on the right foot though...well, especially when it's not expedited properly! :thup: Many ways to skin a cat, or is that swing a cat?

And anyway, Bob would likely post... "How's your grip?" :D

It's pretty cool Bob having me on 'ignore' :rofl:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
but isn't arrogance (and inability to listen to opinion) a standard trait of a golf pro? :whistle:

I'm happy to listen to all, and judge none :D

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chris, looks like you've got a very nice swing there.

I'm not good enough to tell you what you're doing wrong but it did appear to me that your hands moved away from your body on the take away. I think that would invoke a draw.......

The swing looks good enough to get your handicap down. I'll still take a few quid off you though....... :cool:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob....... let's leave it to Bob :rolleyes:

I'll not comment as I wouldn't want to contradict anything Bob might say. Too many cooks.

It's pretty cool Bob having me on 'ignore' :rofl:

I'm not arrogant

And I do listen.

I just got fed up argueing

But you started all the arguements Bob.

Put me back on ignore, it was quieter.

It's very sad. :(

I like you both, a lot.

A PGA Pro and a decent golfer who's also studied the swing a lot has the potential to have lots of very good debate for those that find it interesting.

I'm not going to take sides or apportion blame, but it was almost as if it was banter gone wrong and each post turned into 'baiting'.

Shame.

Sorry for taking your thread slightly o/t Chris.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Chris, god forbid anyone should want my advice on a golf swing, but having watched the vids of you v Schwarzl side by side, here's what I can see you do differently:

Slightly steeper plane from 4 seconds on and much longer "top" of swing of backswing (he stops at your 6 seconds, you stop at 8);
Start of downswing is nice, but then it comes back in on a steeper plane;
hands a good bit further out from your body;

I also wonder if the turns more from your upper body/arms?

As I said, no idea if I'm talking horlicks, but that's certainly what I see, although no idea if changing any of that would help!

Good luck!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's very sad. :(

I like you both, a lot.

A PGA Pro and a decent golfer who's also studied the swing a lot has the potential to have lots of very good debate for those that find it interesting.

I'm not going to take sides or apportion blame, but it was almost as if it was banter gone wrong and each post turned into 'baiting'.

Shame.

Sorry for taking your thread slightly o/t Chris.

I could not agree more with everything Gary has said.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it looks great Murph. You keep turning through impact nicely so the club doesnt get stuck behind you.

If your hitting it sweet and can repeat it then stick with it !! Well done for doing a Faldo and committing to rebuilding your swing, thats some discipline.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just thinking about it in a non technical kind of way, I feel that if my left arm bent at the top of the backswing that my wrist would want to straighten as my left arm did on the way down. Is keeping your left arm straighter one of the things you're working on or is your pro happy with that?

Have you tried consciously trying to keep your wrists from straightening so the club goes over the top of the ball, just as an exercise to see if it can be done?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just thinking about it in a non technical kind of way, I feel that if my left arm bent at the top of the backswing that my wrist would want to straighten as my left arm did on the way down. Is keeping your left arm straighter one of the things you're working on or is your pro happy with that?

Have you tried consciously trying to keep your wrists from straightening so the club goes over the top of the ball, just as an exercise to see if it can be done?

Hi Gary, no, he is not unhappy with my left arm. I guess there are some things which at 46 I am going to find difficult, especially as I am no where near as flexible as I used to be.

If I try to keep my wrists from straightening, this is kind of the drill he has me doing. It works fine doing it slowly, but at full chat it just unhinges.

Thanks to James and bob, I think if I combine the two, then I get somewhere near where I want to be. Shame they are no longer communicating. I hit some balls tonight, and the odd one felt really nice. Didn't have the chance to record it, but I guess with all the snow I'll have plenty of chances to practice over the next few weeks, without the distraction of playing.

Once I get nearer to where I want to be, I'll go back, and have another lesson. Then start again. I love golf, but why is it so complicated?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's only as complicated as we make it :)

Have you tried the drill where you hit a 2nd object 4-6" after the ball?

Or maybe pretend you're playing a cover drive!