My swing,

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a thought, have you experimented with lifting your left heel of the ground? One of the reasons why some players do this is to allow a full shoulder turn in players that are not the most flexible. If you try to swing back with a straight left arm but feel you hit a stop then lifting that left heel enables the shoulder turn to complete.

Acts like a trigger at the downswing as well because the left heel plants back down, then hips rotate then finally shoulders. Dont take my word for it, read about Leslie King.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's only as complicated as we make it :)

Have you tried the drill where you hit a 2nd object 4-6" after the ball?

Or maybe pretend you're playing a cover drive!

I was never any good at cricket.

Normally if I hit. Second object, 6" in front of the ball, it is the same ball, and I double hit it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just a thought, have you experimented with lifting your left heel of the ground? One of the reasons why some players do this is to allow a full shoulder turn in players that are not the most flexible. If you try to swing back with a straight left arm but feel you hit a stop then lifting that left heel enables the shoulder turn to complete.

Acts like a trigger at the downswing as well because the left heel plants back down, then hips rotate then finally shoulders. Dont take my word for it, read about Leslie King.

I'm worried if I do this I will end up with a swing like Rickg, who doesn't seem to be able to keep either foot on the ground at any stage in his swing. It is like levitation, only worse.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i dont kno anything about golf swings but i notice your hands do what i wish mine did. When i get to the top of the back swing mine go forwards (the opposite way to yours) and this is what im trying to stop with the pro but for the life of me its hard as hell!!! aprrently it is a big reason of my swing plane which brings on my slice

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Murph.

You have a nice tempo and most of your swing is very good.

Your problem is (as you already know) due to casting in the downswing. Now why are you casting? I know you dont want to.

I think the problem is due to you getting too steep in the back and downswing, this is creating an out to in swingpath that encourages an early release as you try to rescue it by pulling up out of the shot and throwing the club outwards. If you look at your down the line video and stop it halfway up the clubshaft is pointing well inside the ball to target line, if you do the same halfway down you will see the same. Look at where the club exits in the follow through, it is very high, almost up over your left shoulder.

Try to keep the club more on plane through the swing, think of the clubshaft tracing the extended ball to target line, shallow it out a bit. This will allow you to feel more natural with leading down with the butt of the clubshaft and swing more from the inside.

I dont mean to be too critical of your swing, I can see that you have worked hard on it and have some very good things going on. Please let me know if I have not explained this clearly?

Last edited:

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Hi Murph

I'm no swing expert, but I *can* tell you what has worked for me in terms of getting lag. Until fairly recently I've had a big problem with uber-high ball flight. After a lesson, my pro got me to try the following: From the top of your backswing, try to leave your arms *behind* on the downswing - leave your left bicep next to your left pectorial for as long as possible - almost like you keep that top-of-the-backswing shape for the entire downswing. He explained I was too armsy and I should be letting my body/shoulder turn pull the arms down naturally instead of consciously doing it - and this is a nice feely way to do it.

I tried this, and almost instantly really started to hit the ball... I mean lower, more penetrating, and it felt like nothing I'd hit before - like something has majorly clicked and I now *get* it. It makes a totally different (nice!) sound and my hands are now definitely ahead of the ball at impact.

Nice swing you have there!

Last edited: