My Swing and your thoughts

Tobyamu

Hacker
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgU_xS1ZN8s

Hiya, was just wondering what you guys think of my swing. Criticism is more then welcome as long as its constructive.

Do you have regular coaching at the moment? If yes, what have you specifically been working on? Nope, no lessons yet
What do you consider to be the strengths of your game? Irons, short and long.
Weaknesses? Putting and Driving at the moment
How often do you play/practise? Practicing everyday now at the moment
What is your scoring average/handicap? playing to about a 16 handicap, could knock off a few shots if i had a straight drive
Do you keep stats? No
What is your strike/shot/shape pattern for the following clubs
Driver/Tee shots Fade/slice
Fariway woods same as above
Rescue Clubs Straight/slight draw
Long/medium irons same as above
Short irons same as above

Tobyamu

Hacker
Visit site
haha, i couldnt blast a ball up the range because i would of been playing into the sun and you wouldnt be able to see anything, hopefully ill upload a few other video of me hitting balls soon

n8dog

Club Champion
Visit site
To me it seems as though you swing quite rounded and look as though you are cutting across the ball, hard to tell without seeing a proper shot though.
play off 14.0, In the Titleist Tour Bag:

Titleist 905t 8.5 stiff grafalloy blue
Ping G5 15* stiff grafalloy prolaunch blue
titleist 906f4 18.5 stiff aldila vs proto
callaway x20 tour 3-pw project x 6.0
cleveland cg10 54* s400
scotty cameron studio design 1.5

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I be honest?

Go and have a few lessons.......beg, borrow or steal (well, not steal actually) the money.

You're not going to get better without.

Good Luck.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Difficult to comment constructively as we all have decent swings without a ball. It would be interesting to see the swing with you hitting a ball in anger

As always, very true.

But using what we've got, assuming this is the swing you take out onto the course, a couple of things I've been told to look at in my swing. ( I'm no expert but I've had a couple of lessons recently, and this is what I've been told to be wary of, so if it helps great, if not, no probs )

Firstly on the takeaway. The clubhead should be in front of your hands.

T1.jpg

Yours is obviously behind. This leads to a flat backswing, ie

T2.jpg

In this shot your hands should be roughly in the middle of your chest.

From here, when you complete the backswing you are pretty much going to have to start the downswing by coming back over the top, which will give you a classic out to in swing ( I know coz I do it :( )

By improving your takeaway, keep the line of the clubhead in a better line parallel with the line of your feet. Then if you can reach the second position with your hands a few inches forward towards your chest, you will have a more on plane swing, and will find it easier to attack the ball with an in to out swing.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a constructive post.

It's amazing how what we feel is different from the reality.

I've seen this swing many times and to my eye (which is not pro, obviously) it is the opposite of the much-maligned upright/flat swing seen in Jim Furyk.

Put simply, the best drill would be to take the club back to 9 o'clock checking it is straight back (along an imaginary line) just in front/level with the toes/feet, cock the wrists to get the butt end pointing at the ball or inside a bit (a la Faldo) and learn the backswing building this in.

I present.....

drum roll

Adam Scott.....NOT as two plane as *some* but a good example.

adamscott.jpg

adamscott2.jpg

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What a constructive post.
I agree :D
Tablets kicking in? :p

The key position is the left hand when the LEFT ARM is parallel to the ground.

As you can see in the first pic of Tiger his left arm is parallel to the ground and his left hand is about 4 or 5 inches inside the line (in other words, his left arm almost swings straight back towards the camera but moves inside 4 inches.) He basically hits this point everytime with every club.

Picture 1.
plane.gif

In the second picture I've drawn some swing planes on for the different clubs so you can see how they all go through the same point, left arm parallel to the ground and 4 inches inside the line.... (ending roughly with a wedge, in yellow)

Pic 2
plane1.gif

And finally (the proof and pudding shot) actually with a wedge so you can see it in action..... (knee flex and spine angle change slightly but he's still hitting that same spot)

plane2.gif

The position of your left hand may vary according to your own swing, it may be 4 inches inside the line, it might be 6, but if it's 14 then you are probably off plane and swinging too flat. If your left hand is already behind you when your arm reaches parallel to the ground... consider getting a lesson from a pro.

hope this helps.

Nice post CH (you bandit) :D