my head is haywire

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi folks

I have been having problems with the driver for quite some time, and having changed the thing that many times over the last couple years, its hardly surprising! I am currently having lessons, however, my swing is bang on with everything, but the driver, it is something my coach and I know we have to work on, and have done over the last few weeks, but on the course its still like swinging a rope.
I know myself that I have so many things going through my head when I have it in hand, I actually play better when I dont use it, but I know i can go low when I am hitting it well, and ultimately thats my goal.

I need to remember how to still my mind and get back to just stepping up and hitting my target, any advice or reading would be great, thanks. I have read all the rotella stuff and Joseph Parent Zen golf, which at the time was great, but I struggle to re-read things, maybe podcasts or something could be good.

thanks again

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
hi folks

I have been having problems with the driver for quite some time, and having changed the thing that many times over the last couple years, its hardly surprising! I am currently having lessons, however, my swing is bang on with everything, but the driver, it is something my coach and I know we have to work on, and have done over the last few weeks, but on the course its still like swinging a rope.
I know myself that I have so many things going through my head when I have it in hand, I actually play better when I dont use it, but I know i can go low when I am hitting it well, and ultimately thats my goal.

I need to remember how to still my mind and get back to just stepping up and hitting my target, any advice or reading would be great, thanks. I have read all the rotella stuff and Joseph Parent Zen golf, which at the time was great, but I struggle to re-read things, maybe podcasts or something could be good.

thanks again

Do you have or use a pre-shot routine?

Same things, same order, same time taken prior to taking the club away?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having so much going on in your head I wonder if looking at anything else will help, perhaps if you get on the tee and try to relax and think of nothing ,then just try to swing easy and see if that helps.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks folks, Gareth, yes I do have a routine, I try to stick to it, but over the ball my mind goes nuts, I struggle to blank it.
I am trying to think of less not more, so could use something to help allow the thought process to calm down.
Murph, thanks, I am trying, but on the course yesterday I honestly felt like walking in, its almost breaking me, and I know its in my head!

D

Deleted member 21258

Belief, confidence and freedom to swing to a target are great things to have.

I spent about 6 months last year not being able to know if I would get the driver hit on the planet but still believed in the journey I was doing and in time it worked and a year later now playing much better golf.

Best of luck, stick with it and take what comes and keep bouncing back, don't let the big stick keep up down.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
thanks folks, Gareth, yes I do have a routine, I try to stick to it, but over the ball my mind goes nuts, I struggle to blank it.
I am trying to think of less not more, so could use something to help allow the thought process to calm down.

Go through your PSR. As you address the ball pick a dimple on the ball. Keep your eye on it and start the swing.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks SG
I will try this afternoon Gareth as going to try to get out for 9.
Thanks Hobbit, I have the key in my bag as was going to try my 3 wood shaft in there, same shaft, just shorter! thanks

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JT I found picking something tall far off in the distance on the intended line was a great help. First of all with alignment, but when standing over the ball all I'm really thinking is how to send the ball over the top of that object. Of course that's impossible because often it's a mile away! But the effect is it takes your mind very very far away from your body, the farther you can take your minds eye from your body the less likely your brain is going to try to interfere by initiating small movements. Those are the killer. On the range it's fine to think technical, espeically working on a change. At these times its not even all that important where the ball goes, the important thing is that you commit and complete the mechanical action you are trying to achieve.

On the course, thats a disaster. The closer our mind is to our motor movements the worse it gets, get out there, miles away down the fairway and see how that works.

BTW alignment-wise this has been a game changer. I still line up and pick a spot on the ground a foot or more ahead of the ball. This is easier if you do so before you tee it up, find seomthing obvious on the tee bpox and tee you ball back in line with the target going through that. Now you know thats on your line. Stand behind the ball and see it flying up and over the tree top/pylon whatever it is, pick a specific part of the tree if it's big. Then walk towards the ball still looking at that spot, rather than at the ball or down at the ground. Fell you align your body to the tree. Now look down at the ball and the thing on the ground in front of it. Hopefully you feel like your body is parallel to that but a small adjustment is sometimes needed. Then take the shot, no waiting around, no time to think, just picture the ball flight and pull the trigger for a slow smooth swing. If youre still thinking about the flight and looking at the ball, you might surprise yourself.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks Curls, yeah on the range I can kind of spray it where I like, although I am a pretty good range player haha! I like the idea of taking my mind far away, and focusing on something other than what i may or may not do wrong.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks SG
I will try this afternoon Gareth as going to try to get out for 9.
Thanks Hobbit, I have the key in my bag as was going to try my 3 wood shaft in there, same shaft, just shorter! thanks
Most drivers these days are to long .
When OEMs bring a new driver out sometimes the only way to get more distance is to lengthen it .
They use robots to hit balls miles but we Humans are not like that .

I have taken 1" of my driver from the tip end which makes a reg shaft FIRM.

This has lost me about 5yds but I am so much straighter it's unreal.
Its so much easier to control. Bit strange at first but soon got used to it.

Problem with a 3wood shaft is it's designed for a much heavier head but trial and error is all good.

Have you been fit for your shaft as this is very important.

good luck .

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you thought of counting to help concentrate on rhythm - count slowly 1 , 2 then pull down: accelerating and swing through on 3. Might keep other stray thoughts at bay. Good luck, tis a pain this golf thing!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
CC, yep, fitted for driver by the same coach I'm going to lessons for, all the numbers were good, but it seems the numbers are down right liars!!!!
Thanks Del, I am not sure I could but be worth a go!