my head is haywire

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A few years ago a pro said i had too many swing thoughts and got me to start the swing by saying to myself " have a nice day" and it worked quite well at the time.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I get like that there's only one thing that works for me and that's "back/hit" as recommended by T Gallwey in "The Inner Game of Golf". By far the best (for me) book on sports psychology - and I've read heaps of them. The "back/hit" is to clear the mind somewhat but with something still related to the action. So you say/think "back" at the very precise (VERY PRECISE!) moment the club is at the top of the backswing and then say/think "hit" at the very precise (VERY VERY VERY PRECISE!) moment you make contact. The key is you're trying to time the spoken word/thought with the exact timing in the swing...don't try to cheat it and think either element too soon or too late so you have room for some other swing thought.

Try it...I was amazed how well it worked for me.

Oh and highly recommend the book for lots of other useful mental "drills".

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been there too Patrick haha cheers, might have to go back :0

Just home from the range, bairns not well so didn’t have time for to head out on course so tomorrow will tell.
Managed to find a little more consistency with targeting in the distance and picking a spot on the ball, so that’s all I’m doing tomorrow, target, ball, swing. Hopefully it’s not horrendous.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Just home from the range, bairns not well so didn’t have time for to head out on course so tomorrow will tell.
Managed to find a little more consistency with targeting in the distance and picking a spot on the ball, so that’s all I’m doing tomorrow, target, ball, swing. Hopefully it’s not horrendous.

That's my other go to - 3 swing thoughts only - tempo, timing, target. My practice swing is just about being smooth and athletic and repeat with the ball just getting in the way.

Good luck!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

Whats your bad result with a driver?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda

Lump it could be quite literally anything, but I found focusing on the ball at least give my a consistent strike so as long as I turn through I should be able to hit my draw, in theory!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm a big believer in looking at something in the distance and try to hit the ball towards it. For me this does 2 things.

1: It focuses me on the target and stops me seeing any hazards that are out there like water and OOB etc.
2: I feel it makes swing through the ball and keep the clubface online and I always finish my swing looking at that target.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Adey it def made a difference

Thanks again folks. Played today and actually drove the ball well all the way to 18 then hit a shocker but what I did before that gave me hope. Just asked myself on the tee, what’s my target?, then picked a spot on the ball to focus on and swung. I have hope again, for now anyway 😬

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks again folks. Played today and actually drove the ball well all the way to 18 then hit a shocker but what I did before that gave me hope. Just asked myself on the tee, what’s my target?, then picked a spot on the ball to focus on and swung. I have hope again, for now anyway 😬

Great. I was wondering how today had gone. I always find I start to try too hard to not try too hard and therefore usually stuff up the 18th too!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda I don’t usually hit driver at 18 as although it’s a par 5 it’s really a 3 shotter but as I was hitting well I though ach go on!! But def more hopeful moving forward. Thanks again 👍
Did u play today yourself?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Picking a target is something I try and do on the tee. I was told not to pick anything too low down like a bunker and the eyes should be focusing upwards. I try and see the ball flying to the target, and then stand there and trust. Visualisation is a positive tool when it's down properly but alas it's usually knocked well down the list with the millions of swing thoughts that seem to be plaguing my brain at the moment

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda I don’t usually hit driver at 18 as although it’s a par 5 it’s really a 3 shotter but as I was hitting well I though ach go on!! But def more hopeful moving forward. Thanks again 👍
Did u play today yourself?

You were right to take it on - getting too careful never works either in this crazy game. Range only for me today but feeling quite positive about the swing changes I've embarked upon and results (on the range at least) beginning to be promising. Taking it to the course is a whole different matter but no important comps coming up so can commit to the change and not get so fixed on the results.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You were right to take it on - getting too careful never works either in this crazy game. Range only for me today but feeling quite positive about the swing changes I've embarked upon and results (on the range at least) beginning to be promising. Taking it to the course is a whole different matter but no important comps coming up so can commit to the change and not get so fixed on the results.

What are you working on and why? Off 5 you're clearly doing something very well

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks again folks. Played today and actually drove the ball well all the way to 18 then hit a shocker but what I did before that gave me hope. Just asked myself on the tee, what’s my target?, then picked a spot on the ball to focus on and swung. I have hope again, for now anyway 

Glad it helped, I just find personally having something positive to focus on helps me relax and remove the bad thoughts. I've always found that if you want to get help with your swing see a professional coach. But sometimes fellow golfers can just have a little tip that can help, some of the best things I've learnt has been from fellow players.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are you working on and why? Off 5 you're clearly doing something very well

Complete swing re-build started about 4 months ago. Setting club higher, more compact backswing, improved impact position...etc!

Basically something more neutral, with more margin for error, and which doesn't rely on my timing being spot on!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda, good luck with the swing changes, winter is a great time to get them bedded in without the pressures.
Thanks Adey, think I just needed to hear that tip from other golfers to give me something to focus on, hopefully I can keep it going.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Complete swing re-build started about 4 months ago. Setting club higher, more compact backswing, improved impact position...etc!

Basically something more neutral, with more margin for error, and which doesn't rely on my timing being spot on!

Wow. Seems a major change when you're already good. However I know from speaking to our Cat 1 players, at your level, it has to be more about consistency as you have no margin for error and one bad hole and you're put of contention. I'd be really interested to see your swing now and one say next March just before the season and get your take on what's different, how it feels and how it's going. Good luck with it all and hope it gets your game where you want it to be