My golf swing, any advice??

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
I am a 7 handicapper i am a consistent straight hitter of the golf ball with most clubs but feel i could hit the ball further and keep more in balance as i feel as though i am very on the toes what would this effect. i sometimes hit a slight fade or slight draw but very little movement in terms of shape. Tend to top woods and hybrids so don't regularly use them.

Average hitting distance, 9 iron carry 130.. 8 iron 140, 7 iron 150.. etc, driver about 230-240 carry, any help would be great.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a suggestion until someone better qualified comes along...

Being on your toes could force you to stand up through impact losing your angles as your brain does what it can to keep you from falling forwards.
That could also explain the topped shots.

Try hitting some balls feeling that you're lifting your toes off the ground so your weight is spread between your heels and the balls of your feet.

You would also get better advice if you could upload a video to YouTube and put a link here.

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
really?? in a good way? if so thank you very much! anything you like or dislike feel free to let me know, always trying to improve!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looks to me like a visit to a pro would help you, I have to be honest its not the best swing I have seen, if you are playing off 7 I am sure a pro would get you a lot lower.

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
i 100% agree with seeing a pro, ive never had a lesson just taught myself through practice and youtube really, thanks for the input a visit to the pro is on the cards, just wanted to see if i could get any feedback here also! thanks!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Definitely worth getting some lessons!

If you are really down to 7, then there's definitely potential!

Left hand grip seems a bit (perhaps a lot) strong and right hand a bit weak (I'm not really a big grip analyst, but it's really important to get it right as it your only contact with the club and affects so much of a swing!). You don't cock your wrists on the backswing, so very little 'lag' on the downswing. Getting those distances by basically slapping the ball is impressive! Cock and lag should also help contact with hybrids and woods.

You do indeed move onto your toes. That's quite likely because there's very little hip turn. We oldies (who are less flexible) overcome that by opening up the left foot, which encourages the hips to open up to allow a balanced weight-shift. I'd suggest you, unless there is a real stiffness issue, turn your hips more, both in the back-swing and the downswing. With practice, the weight should move to the ball and instep of the left foot, rather that onto your toes that is happening now. For all that, actual contact looks surprisingly good, save perhaps some forward shaft lean - a consequence of the lack of lag.

Video 1 looks like a classic slicer's hack though!

If you want a model of a swing to see the difference, find one of Sergio Garcia to watch and compare to yours. That will show the differences in grip, wrist cock and lag, if maybe not hip-turn! Perfect balance though!

Last edited:

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
thanks a lot for the very in depth analysis! i have to admit i agree with everything you have said, playing partners have always said about my stiff swing and lack of wrist cock i think this is one of the reasons i hit the ball so straight as there is not much movement so all i do is take it away and bring it back.. i need to work on the hip turn i am flexible just tend to only use my shoulders to turn, lessons and practice with the things you have suggested would be perfect, thanks again! i never understand the wrist cock, how much to do etc?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...i never understand the wrist cock, how much to do etc?

There's an excellent training aid that many Pros still use call Swingyde. Available at American Golf (in full blown expensive version with a rather pointless video/CD to 'add value') or eBay - either genuine or fake (at about 10% of the price of a genuine one!). Genuine version keeps Wade Ormsby in funds, as it was invented by his Coach Father!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
wow 7 handicap with no lessons and that swing, that is good.

Is your short game immense, up and down all the time and less than 30 putts? that is the part I struggle with.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd go easy trying to get advice from on here mate. You'll get 20 different views of which 19 will be tosh.

I'm one of the 19 by the way, before anyone gets stressed.

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you, just constantly working on it, never hinged or cocked the wrists, putting is good about 28-32 a round, chipping not too bad, mainly my iron play to be honest I don't hit it long but its normally straight because of the way I swing, thanks again!

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
Hahaha I know mate just wanted to see people's views I kind of know what needs doing just wanted a second opinion, thanks!