My GM Top25 Coach lesson

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
A little while ago Jake posted an opportunity to receive a 90min lesson from one of the GM Top 25 coaches. I was one of the lucky three and had a wonderful time at West Hill today.

The weather was absolutely stunning and the course was in unbelievably good condition, especially for mid March. The only downside for me today was not getting to play the course it looked amazing. It would have been nice as I think I would have done much better than when I played it at H4H.

I arrived at the range to hear Will sweetly striking his 9 iron and peppering the 125 yard flag. He obviously had a great session and was really pleased with his improvements.

My focus was supposed to be on driving but Paul Foston (the coach) identified my on course issue and we resolved that really quickly. So once we had done the filming and photography for the magazine we headed to the chipping area and he completely revolutionised both my chipping and putting.

As that won't be in the mag I can go into a bit more detail. For chipping he got my left arm and club in line so the club was more of an extension of my arm with more angle. He also gave me some advice on my follow through and within minutes I was hitting crisper and more accurate chips. Just need to work on my distance feel.

For putting he changed my grip with putter more along my life line of my left hand. We then worked on a pace feel drill alternating targets on the putting green and putting with only my right hand on the club. Again he had my distance control dramatically improved very quickly.

I then joined the GM team for lunch and got to meet other members of the team, including Tappers who I've messaged a fair bit over the years and have now finally met :)

I also met Craig who was the third reader chosen and he was off to work on his pitching. If mine and Wills sessions are anything to go by he's probably flopping it to an inch or two now!

A fabulous day and I feel very lucky to have for the chance to work on multiple things. Just need to put it into play now. Paul's set me a target of at least 16 handicap by end of the season so that's a big chunk of work I need to do!

Huge thanks to GM for selecting me, to Jake for looking after me and loaning me his lob wedge as I hadn't brought mine and the marvellous Paul Foston for his expertise and cracking guidance.

I bought myself a pitch mark repairer before I left and I'll always fondly remember today whenever I use it 👍

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nice one Tiger.
The potential has always been there, hopefully this will be a springboard
Go low Big Guy!!👍👍

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up Tiger. Paul Foston is fairly local to me and he sounds like someone to try for tuition?

Tiger

Money List Winner
Seriously I'd recommend paying him a visit. Really clear simple advice and he's a nice guy too 👍

Thanks Ian - if I carry on striking the ball and putting like he had me doing it yesterday this could finally be it...

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great write up pal. Sounds like an awesome day.

I was really hoping my name was gonna get pulled out of the hat! Hey ho, maybe next time!

Tiger

Money List Winner
Good write up Tiger, :thup: Would also like to play the course one day too.

I'd like to play it again as last time I just walked around taking occasional divots, searching in the rough and heather and losing half a dozen balls 😨

Honestly it's in fabulous nick if you can get over there before April I'd do it!

Thanks for the positive wishes everyone. Been practising the putting and chipping today and can already see a big improvement :thup: