My first iron fitting

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
We had a demo day at our golf club yesterday, with many manufacturers there to showcase their products (Taylormade, Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland, Titleist, Ju-Cad, Motorcaddy and a few more) and you could book in for a fitting.

I've been playing the MacGregor V-Foil irons for about 3 years now after getting them for about 100 € off ebay. They always worked well for me, but they are really huge and ugly and I wanted something a bit more modern and shiny (only if it worked for me, of course). So I booked a fitting with Cobra to try their F8 irons. I already have two Cobra clubs in my bag and like them a lot and also I was tempted by the Cobra Connect system that comes with the irons.

I must say that it was a really good idea to go for the fitting instead of just buying something off the shelf. The women's F8 irons in their standard setup just did not work very well for me. They felt a bit too hard (the MacGregor irons are really soft and I wanted something that felt at least similar), so the first thing we changed was the shaft to one that is even lighter (I think it is the stock shaft for the F Max irons). That improved the feel a lot. I still wasn't finding the middle very well and kept hitting balls high and to the right. I tried the F Max clubheads as well, but they are almost as big and ugly as my old ones, plus they gave absolutely no feel at all, so I dismissed them right away. In the end the fitter had the genius idea to use the men's version of the F8 heads, which are slightly heavier, giving me better feedback about where the clubhead is and also giving me a bit more oomph when hitting the ball. We fiddled a bit with the shaft length and lie angle as well. I am quite tall and standing a bit more upright suits me better. The guy was really patient and friendly and happy to keep trying different setups until he and I were both happy with the results.

I also got the chance to hit the gap wedge, because the head shape for the sand wedge and gap wedge is different from that of the other irons, more like that of a normal 'specialty' wedge. It felt very nice, I had very good distance control with it from the get go.

It took about 45 minutes (and I would guess about 60-80 balls hit), but in the end I was pretty confident to get a set of irons which suited me and would give me a bit more power without sacrificing forgiveness or stopping power. The Cobra F8s are very strong lofted (7 iron is 29.5°), so I basically compared the 7 iron with my former 6 iron. The Cobra 7 iron gave me the same distance, but with a much higher, more controlled ball flight. I decided to go 6 iron to SW and stick the GW in there, because I think I would struggle to get the 5 iron to gap well in relation to the 6 iron (the 5 iron has 22.5° of loft, that is already pretty low for my swing speed). I tried several Cobra hybrids as well, but nothing came even close to the performance of my current Bridgestone GC 22°. Even the fitter had to admit that, so we left that as it is for the moment.

The set should get here in a couple of weeks and I am really looking forward to it.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Superb, its always nice to get new irons even better when another member comments on how good they look, I found fitting to be very tedious to the point I just wanted to go home

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good stuff I am sure they will be worth the wait nothing better than the look and feel of new irons :thup:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
They look like good set of clubs :thup:

They feel great as well. Seriously, now that I have hit them, I really can't wait to get that feeling again. My current irons just don't give that same powerful impact. I know the Cobra King F8 are still game improvement irons and people who are used to blades will find them big and chunky, but compared to the garden shovels I hit at the moment, they look downright tiny.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They feel great as well. Seriously, now that I have hit them, I really can't wait to get that feeling again. My current irons just don't give that same powerful impact. I know the Cobra King F8 are still game improvement irons and people who are used to blades will find them big and chunky, but compared to the garden shovels I hit at the moment, they look downright tiny.

They certainly look better than some of the other offerings out there and if they feel as good as you say then I am sure you will enjoy playing them.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
They are here. And they are beautiful. I picked them up at the pro shop today and headed straight to the range. I hit about 100 balls with them on the range. I struggled a bit in the beginning (well, long beginning, actually I struggled pretty much all the way through my first basket of balls, alternating between heavy and thin shots), but once I started to hit the middle of the clubface, everything was good. Took them to our short course afterwards, because I hit full iron shots all through the bag off the tee there, it is a good way to dial in distances. It is as expected, I "gained" a club, so my 7iron now goes the same distance my old 6iron did etc., which is no surprise given the strong lofts. They do so with way more height, though.

The gap wedge and sand wedge are just beautiful and so much easier to hit than my old sand wedge.

I have not set up the Cobra Connect thing yet, mostly because there is literally no cell reception at the golf club, so I have to prepare it at home and then just connect the clubs when I go to the course the next time.

I did not really want to play tomorrow, because I am playing a mixed comp on Sunday, but I am so excited and want to take them out on the course, I think I will try to get 9 holes in anyway.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They are here. And they are beautiful. I picked them up at the pro shop today and headed straight to the range. I hit about 100 balls with them on the range. I struggled a bit in the beginning (well, long beginning, actually I struggled pretty much all the way through my first basket of balls, alternating between heavy and thin shots), but once I started to hit the middle of the clubface, everything was good. Took them to our short course afterwards, because I hit full iron shots all through the bag off the tee there, it is a good way to dial in distances. It is as expected, I "gained" a club, so my 7iron now goes the same distance my old 6iron did etc., which is no surprise given the strong lofts. They do so with way more height, though.

The gap wedge and sand wedge are just beautiful and so much easier to hit than my old sand wedge.

I have not set up the Cobra Connect thing yet, mostly because there is literally no cell reception at the golf club, so I have to prepare it at home and then just connect the clubs when I go to the course the next time.

I did not really want to play tomorrow, because I am playing a mixed comp on Sunday, but I am so excited and want to take them out on the course, I think I will try to get 9 holes in anyway.

Great news now get out tomorrow and give them a bash in the course........ play well :thup:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just curious, did you end up getting the mens heads instead of the ladies? Did you still go with a ladies shaft though? Just curious because it always interests me when people go for fitting and end up with something that isn't probably normally a standard fitting.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Just curious, did you end up getting the mens heads instead of the ladies? Did you still go with a ladies shaft though? Just curious because it always interests me when people go for fitting and end up with something that isn't probably normally a standard fitting.

Yes, I ended up with the slightly heavier men's heads, but a very light and flexible ladies shaft (the model normally used for the super game improvement FMax irons). The reasoning behind this was that I liked the slightly softer feel of the even lighter shaft which was closer to the shafts I had played before, but then needed that little bit of extra weight on impact to get optimal distance out of it.Also, my swing is very feel orientated, and with the lighter ladies heads, I could not really feel where the clubhead is during the downswing.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
So, I've been playing them for a month now, time for a quick review:

The quick version is: I absolutely love them. I was a bit insecure the first few times I used them, because the club heads are way smaller than the ones of my old clubs were. Also, I had a tendency to push them slightly, because I did not get the club face to close early enough (I guess my old clubs did have a bit more offset). But a few range sessions took care of that and now I would never go back.

The ball flight is incredibly high. So much so that I used to think "oh, I must have flipped that ... that's not going anywhere", but every time they went the distance they are supposed to. They are about 10 yards longer than my old clubs, but that is not surprising, since the lofts are about that much stronger, so the 6 iron is basically the loft of my old 5 iron and so on.

Now, I am not sure if they'd be the clubs to choose to pay links golf (or anywhere where you expect to be loads of wind most of the time). It is really difficult to keep the ball low. But for our parkland course they are fantastic. I can now easily hit over trees I could never clear with my old irons (okay, on the downside, the low punch out from under trees is a bit more tricky now). And even with our greens firming up now, they do stop nicely. Also, now that I resolved the issue with the push shot, they are absolutely arrow straight. It is like throwing darts.

I am considering getting the 5 iron after all. I wanted to try out how well I get along with the 6 iron first, since the 5 iron has only 22° of loft and that sounded like I would struggle to get that into the air, but after now seeing how much height my 6 iron gets without me having to hit it hard, I think I will go for it and order the 5 iron as well.

Not so sure about the CobraConnect system, though. I had a lot of trouble to get it running. The sensor in my gap wedge was broken form the get-go and I am still waiting for a replacement. And just when I had finally managed to pair all my other sensors and download my course info (it is a bit bothersome because we don't have cell reception on the course, so I have to do everything that requires internet connection beforehand at home, just to then find out on the course that I forgot something or that it deleted the course info from last time or something like that ...) my putter sensor broke as well, making it pretty much useless to record a round.

The Arccos customer service is brilliant, though. They normally detect when there is a problem (like the broken sensors) and contact you. And they are usually able to resolve problems quickly. I got a new putter sensor now (but pairing the new sensor deleted my course data again, so when I wanted to try it yesterday, I couldn't, because I had not checked before I went to the course). The whole software feels a bit like they are still in beta tests, to be honest. Unless they resolve many of those issues during the next 11 months, I don't think it is a service I am willing to pay 50 € a year for.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
How are you getting on with your clubs mate?

Still loving them. I am playring quite well at the moment and have been able to get my handicap down from 32.5 to 29.5 since I got them.

But I am more and more fed up with the Cobra Connect thing. The idea that they actually expect people to pay a yearly fee for that is ludicrous, to be honest. I still have not received a replacement for the broken gap wedge sensor (which was broken from the start, so it's been well over 2 months now) and my 7iron sensor has given up as well. Playing a round with an incomplete set of sensors is totally stupid, because editing in full shots later on is really cumbersome to do. And if you don't, the distances for the shot before is way off, of course, messing up your stats. I have decided to stop using it alltogehter until the sensors are replaced.