My ball played by my apponent

COBRAGARY

Visit site
Hi was having a round of golf with 3 others having all tee`d off ok we got to our balls unfortunately my opponent played my ball and chipped it on the green from 100 yards ,What is the ruling for this and what should be done?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi was having a round of golf with 3 others having all tee`d off ok we got to our balls unfortunately my opponent played my ball and chipped it on the green from 100 yards ,What is the ruling for this and what should be done?

Doesn't sound as if he was an opponent, rather a fellow competitor. Medal/stableford/Bogey - 2 stroke penalty, replace your ball. Matchplay - loss of hole.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Doesn't sound as if he was an opponent, rather a fellow competitor. Medal/stableford/Bogey - 2 stroke penalty, replace your ball. Matchplay - loss of hole.

Do the same penalties apply when playing a 'non-match' ball? A fellow competitor played an errant drive from an adjacent fairway before playing his own ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do the same penalties apply when playing a 'non-match' ball? A fellow competitor played an errant drive from an adjacent fairway before playing his own ball.

Providing he is actually 'playing' the ball - and not simply hitting the likes of a range ball back onto the range.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Providing he is actually 'playing' the ball - and not simply hitting the likes of a range ball back onto the range.

7-2/5 suggests that anything more than a casual flick on a range ball back to the range could breach 7-2. If you see someone studying the line back to the range, consulting his laser and pondering his club selection, then 7-2 it is.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does this require that you (or rather the numpty that hit it) go and retrieve the original ball to be replaced? Or can the player substitute the ball with a replacement. Thinking about pace of play here... It could be a 500yard round trip to retrieve a second shot on a par 5, or the numpty could even have lost it!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does this require that you (or rather the numpty that hit it) go and retrieve the original ball to be replaced? Or can the player substitute the ball with a replacement. Thinking about pace of play here... It could be a 500yard round trip to retrieve a second shot on a par 5, or the numpty could even have lost it!

He may substitute another ball if the original is not immediately recoverable

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
He may substitute another ball if the original is not immediately recoverable

Are there any Definitions clarifying what counts as "immediately recoverable". I guess the situations at either end of the scale are a bit obvious but no doubt there's some in the middle where one could have doubts? I've had a browse but haven't found any. (It's just the pedant in me wondering)

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
OED: At once; instantly, without delay, without hesitation, as fast as possible, fast, speedily, with all speed, as soon as possible,

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok here goes.

Please Sir, can anyone tell me if there is anything in the RoG or associated Decisions which helps clarify what is meant by "immediately recoverable". Dictionary definitions are often open to interpretation and what is "immediate" in one circumstance may not be in another. Such doubt over interpretation is not conducive to the game of golf and hence the Decisions help provide illumination - for example as they do for the phrase "virtually certain". I have browsed the Decisions and not found what I seek so merely ask if anyone knows if they do contain such modicum of clarity as is necessary. Thank you Sir.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The rules contain many terms that must remain flexible to maintain their efficacy in different circumstances. The most common is reasonable. Impossible to quantify but necessary as a limit.

There is nothing in the rules that defines immediately recoverable. The dictionary is the only source although I do not believe it is necessary. I think everybody has his own acceptable definition of immediate.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Decision 18/11

Meaning of "Immediately Recoverable"

Q.With reference to Note 1 under Rule 18, when is a ball to be replaced deemed not to be "immediately recoverable"?

A.When it cannot be retrieved within a few seconds.

so the question is....how many is 'a few'? :p

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Decision 18/11

Q.With reference to Note 1 under Rule 18, when is a ball to be replaced deemed not to be "immediately recoverable"?

the answer lies in the use of seconds rather than minutes, hours, days etc

less than the next unit is clearly acceptable ie <=59 sec, but the ruling clearly also contemplates a period in excess of 60 seconds might, in some circumstances, be acceptable or it would have stated 'less than 1 minute' eg it's not your turn to play and the player who's turn it is has to return to the tee to play again because he's lost his ball.

equally if the specific time was relevant it would state one eg 36 sec, but doesn't; so we know that a context relevant interpretation is appropriate (as with delay of game 6-7) 6-7/1 could also be interpreted to suggest that the upper limit (when there are no other factors as above) isn't as high as a few minutes ie the time to walk back to the tee from the green and back would be too long.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decision 18/11

Excellent - exactly the type of answer I was hoping for. Not sure how I didn't spot it whilst browsing but that's often the way.

Although not exact - and it would never be so - it does narrow it down to reasonable parameters.

Ta.