Must weight loss equal loss of form??

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have decided I'd quite like to see my son grow up long-term so have just resolved to embark on a lard and alcohol-free diet.
My only concern is that other famous golfing fatties who have done this over the years (Woosie, the Walrus, Monty) have then suffered a dramatic loss of form as they struggle to get used to their new svelte-like figures.
Any tips anyone, as I don't want my golf to nosedive as a result of the new me that will emerge in a couple of months' time??

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As long as you don't get taller or shorter, which is unlikely, then your form should not suffer. It's a gradual thing you see; consequently your swing will gradually accomodate it.

I bet you would still like to play like Woosie, Stadler or Monty though - fat or thin. I know I would.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most encouraging, Dave, and I have been perfecting a safe Monty fade over the past year which I'd quite like to retain as I've been in play so much more often off the tee.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
David Duval is another one who went from being a bit of a tub to being as skinny as the proverbial rake. It coincided with a rather dramatic downturn in form although I know he's been plagued with injury over the last season or two. It would still be great to see him get back to his best form.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Dazza Clarke is another one that flirted with it and did him no gd but Furyk i think you are taking the right road and if you have a gentle fade am sure you will keep it.

I am flirting with idea of going the other way...quite want to be a Daly by the end of the year!!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good idea True Blue. Does it work the other way? Should Adam Scott pile on a few pounds in order to make the major breakthrough? Could you imagine how good Marcel Siem would be if he doubled his bodyweight?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I put on a few pounds during my time at uni (as you do) and it didn't really have much affect on my game- I probably felt a bit more stable in the wind!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words of support. You're right - who wants to be as thin as Charl Schwartzel or Charles Howell III anyway. They look like their twiglet legs could snap at any moment - especially in a howling links breeze. No wonder neither of them has ever won the Open.
However - golf is actually only my secondary concern really. I'm rather more concerned with being alive long enough to watch my son triumph in the 2017 Open at just 16 years of age - so the weight loss campaign still stands!

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know Monty struggled a bit with rhythm when he lost a lot of extra weight but I guess for the ordinary club golfer it shouldn't make a significant difference

probably just increase your fitness making you less tired towards the end of a round

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What i don't get is if I did as much exercise by walking as many fairways as the pros rather than larding it behind a desk all day grazing on crisps I would be fit and a good few pounds lighter. Can you image how large monty and laura davies would be if they didn't play golf?