Multi tees competitions.

Just out of interest, does your club play multi tees one competition.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
No - at our club - is what I ticked.
I assumed you meant individual strokeplay type events.

I don't think many of our members would understand what-the-heck was going on if we did.

We have mixed knockouts, mixed betterballs stablefords, mixed greensomes stablefords and mixed AmAms etc.

D

Deleted member 15344

Only in terms of mixed where ladies play from the ladies competition tee

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
It's a no from me, at ours we only have the white's and red's rated it does seem to make things easier apart from when you get castigated from an oldboy for playing off the white's, it's not allowed, only comps, you know, only to inform him you are on a GP round and it is perfectly acceptable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Erm, yes and no? I've never seen a comp where you can play off whites or yellows. But we have a few mixed gender comps where ladies play the reds and gents play the whites. I'm guessing that's not what you meant so I'll vote no.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a no from me, at ours we only have the white's and red's rated it does seem to make things easier apart from when you get castigated from an oldboy for playing off the white's, it's not allowed, only comps, you know, only to inform him you are on a GP round and it is perfectly acceptable.
That's interesting. That wouldn't pass at clubs I've been at. It's comps only off the whites, if you are doing a GP card then you do it off the yellows.

It's a no from me incidentally. I'd like them to although I do think it would favour those playing off the yellows so it would need to be monitored and perhaps further adjustments made. I know the system is supposed to allow for this but I don't think it does accurately. My best scores at my club are GP rounds off the yellows. That is no coincidence.

RichA

Visit site
Never heard of it at ours. It would be a mess. The slope ratings of white and yellow are the same and the slope rating for red is slightly higher, even though it's easier. I believe that this is because even though the tees are non-gender specific, the reds have not been re-rated since they were ladies tees.
Our 18th is a 466 yard par 4 off the whites. Off the reds it's a 430 yard par 5.
White tees - 6600 par 71
Yellow tees - 6400 par 71
Red tees - 5800 par 72

D

Deleted member 31467

Our senior section runs competitions where you can play off either red or yellow tees.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We can use white or yellow tees for our Tuesday medals, simply write a W or Y in the select tee box on the scorecard.
You must use the same colour tees for every hole, you can't chop and change during the round.
The computer works out the scores, playing from the longer Whites, slope 124 [ Clyde course ] I get 2 or 3 strokes more than the Yellows, slope 120 [ Calder course]. Basically same holes but different tees, 2 par 4s become par 5s.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We usually have two optional competitions per week (Thursday and Sunday) which are multi tee. Thursday is for Gents, play off either whites or yellows. We did allow reds too but nobody wanted to utilise them. Also, the vast majority playing off whites received 3 extra shots, which proved very unpopular and difficult to explain to some! Hopefully with CR-Par coming in next year this problem will disappear.
Sunday Stableford competitions are mixed, Gents off either Whites or Yellows and Ladies off Yellows or Reds. The ladies were very keen to get the course rated off yellows. So far no lady has used them, and apparently the Ladies Club Championship will be off reds.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have Red, Yellow and White rated for men (but never seen a man use the Reds yet) and Red and Yellow for women (again, never seen a woman use the Yellows) but we still stick to single tee comps - unless it is a mixed comp where women use red and men use yellow or white. We limit white tee use to comps but have just introduced white tees for use by members on a Friday

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
That's interesting. That wouldn't pass at clubs I've been at. It's comps only off the whites, if you are doing a GP card then you do it off the yellows.

I fully understand but as the yellows have not been measured its either the whites or no GP rounds at all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fully understand but as the yellows have not been measured its either the whites or no GP rounds at all.
Ooops, that was an error when the course was rated. Why would they not include yellow tees in that process? Very odd.

No criticism of your previous post incidentally, just pointing out the difference, what it has been at past clubs I've been at.

Default Golfer

Visit site
We've run mixed gender Stablefords successfully for a number of years now - men from yellows and ladies from reds - and a lady has never won. Now some men won't play in them because they think that the ladies have a significant advantage under WHS with the course and slope ratings.

We've tried a few mixed tee competitions where men have the choice of playing for either the reds or yellows and the winner has always played from the yellows. Despite the differences in par (69 red v 72 yellow) and course and slope ratings, some still think that it's so much easier playing from the reds so they won't enter. Of course, they can't bring themselves to play from the reds.

At the moment, we have no mixed tee competitions scheduled and even mixed gender competitions are under threat.

I've tried explaining that WHS levels the playing field across tees and genders but we're moving backwards in my view. I find it very sad.

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
It's a relatively new option at our course and time/stats will tell if it's fair but personally I like it. We have some older and some disabled players who physically cannot reach some fairways from the back tees so telling them they cannot use another measured tee might be construed as discrimination which in the case of the disabled will open another can of worms..................

wjemather

Visit site
All our regular club competitions have been mixed gender for years, so yes.

Next year, we are looking to trial the choice of white/yellow for men and yellow/red for women in all our medals (except the monthly medal) and possibly the odd Stableford; and yellow/red for all senior men's comps (except their club championship), as the yellows are simply too long for many. Our white and red teeing areas are fairly small, so if those options prove too popular, we will have to think again in order to limit wear and keep our head greenkeeper happy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes. For most, if not all, strokeplay comps we can choose whether to play off front or back tees. If we choose front we apply a balancing adjustment of -2 to our PH. So if I was playing in todays June Saturday Medal I could play off the front tees if I wanted. Part of the rationale is, I believe, that some of our seniors find some carries from the back tees to the fairways too far, and we don’t want to shorten the carries.

Our main scratch KO comp has been changed to mixed gender - two ladies entered it this year.

Obviously traditional mixed pair formats go off mixed tees as ever.

Last edited:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Copsewood Grange has been measured so we can play a par 70 course, some white, yellow and red tees and one blue tee, the scorecard is coloured so you know which tee to play from.