MTFC Empty Seats

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I said this last time city were in a CL semi - honestly not a dig (for a change), but it looked like rent-a-crowd.

I'm sure that anyone would point out that Anfield and OT is a mecca for tourist fans from all over the world, but again at city tonight there just seems an inordinate amount of oriental and Arabic fans there. They look like a scarf has been "draped" over them, like when you go in a corporate section, not "worn" the way proper fans would. These werent the fans who were at Gillingham 12-15 years ago and more, and I know sucess attracts a new fan base, but this seems something more than that.

Spurs have a very large Korean support by the looks of it in the stadium nowadays, and yes fans from all over the world in the prem, but is City's "semi" support more than that?

Not many on here, but genuinely interested in if city's old term support hate it/embrace it or suspect anything?

You can’t compare the top flight football of today with that 20/30 years ago. Virtually everything about it has changed. Everything. And along with that the fabric of society has changed beyond recognition.

Sorry, but your observations aren’t thought provoking. They’re borderline xenophobic.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seemed pretty full last night on the telly. I was in MFC sports bar and that was pretty full as well. Had a great night, although a woman questioned my "serious face" they just don't get it do they. I didn't smile until the third went in. Oh and Harland just isn't a striker. Take got a load of laughs from around me, till he missed that sitter, and Alvarez scored his. Now that's a striker

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A mate of mine that I played footie with had a season ticket for years and used to follow City all over the country, including all of their away trips when they were in the 2nd & 3rd tier - when the money came in, he lost interest & started following his local team (which I think was Crawley Town). He just didn't like the City team he had spend many years following completly changing from what they used to be.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A mate of mine that I played footie with had a season ticket for years and used to follow City all over the country, including all of their away trips when they were in the 2nd & 3rd tier - when the money came in, he lost interest & started following his local team (which I think was Crawley Town). He just didn't like the City team he had spend many years following completly changing from what they used to be.
He is missing out, if your team ( any team ) goes down you stick with them. If they have happy days, mint. That said a lot of older fans fans still think City has changed since they left Maine rd. They have, Maine rd was a dump.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He is missing out, if your team ( any team ) goes down you stick with them. If they have happy days, mint. That said a lot of older fans fans still think City has changed since they left Maine rd. They have, Maine rd was a dump.

I kind of understand where this guy is coming from. He perhaps liked the good old days with teams fielding largely homegrown players rather than success being built based on financial clout. Not everyone likes to see success bought to the extent it is these days.

I suppose you either move with the times and accept that this is how you have to be if you want to be successful, or you stick to grassroots or lower league football.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I kind of understand where this guy is coming from. He perhaps liked the good old days with teams fielding largely homegrown players rather than success being built based on financial clout. Not everyone likes to see success bought to the extent it is these days.

I suppose you either move with the times and accept that this is how you have to be if you want to be successful, or you stick to grassroots or lower league football.
Thing is though Billy me and you go back to the days of Denis laws back heel, Gillingham in the play offs, Denis Tuearts over head kick and other memorable days before the Premier league took over. I loved those days but as much as they are memorable City were also second best. Ave said this before, I went to watch City play Grimsby in the league cup. It was Manchester on a wet Tuesday/ weds night and Maine rd was a soulless dump In the North stand. Nope I don’t miss it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing is though Billy me and you go back to the days of Denis laws back heel, Gillingham in the play offs, Denis Tuearts over head kick and other memorable days before the Premier league took over. I loved those days but as much as they are memorable City were also second best. Ave said this before, I went to watch City play Grimsby in the league cup. It was Manchester on a wet Tuesday/ weds night and Maine rd was a soulless dump In the North stand. Nope I don’t miss it.
But a riot in the Kippax.....sometimes. I get where the ones who don't like what has happened, I mean supporting City was like having a millstone around your neck. You were the butt of other fans jokes, but it was a badge of honor, and you wore it with a smile and learnt how to take the mick out of your team. Now? What have we got to moan about? Top class players, playing top class football with a top class manager, who to quote Mr Clough is probably in the top one of all World managers. The fun is to be able to sit back and enjoy amazing football, and watch us thump teams who used to thump us and now we've taken this a step further and now thump all the best European teams. Lord almighty, Pep has even got Grealish playing like a God. RM are sooooooooo are behind us it's unreal. And that Bellingham bloke? He can take a running jump. He'll not be welcome at City now.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
. Ave said this before, I went to watch City play Grimsby in the league cup. It was Manchester on a wet Tuesday/ weds night and Maine rd was a soulless dump In the North stand. Nope I don’t miss it.
Equally if you were prepared to stand, being under cover from the elements you could be warm standing with a great view from the Kippax with great sound reverberating from the roof of covered terraces.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Equally if you were prepared to stand, being under cover from the elements you could be warm standing with a great view from the Kippax with great sound reverberating from the roof of covered terraces.
😂😂😂 did you ever sit in the Gene Kelly stand, sweet lord.

Joking aside, do you remember the Kestrel that hung from the stadium in the Kippax To frighten the pigeons away. I was talking to a guy the last time I went to the Etihad. It was called Elvis. Ave just told my lad to take one to Istanbul.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
😂😂😂 did you ever sit in the Gene Kelly stand, sweet lord.

Joking aside, do you remember the Kestrel that hung from the stadium in the Kippax To frighten the pigeons away. I was talking to a guy the last time I went to the Etihad. It was called Elvis. Ave just told my lad to take one to Istanbul.
Don't remember that kestrel, I do remember a lot of pigeons early at the Etihad when it was the City of Manchester Stadium.
Atmosphere last night was pretty good mind.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can’t compare the top flight football of today with that 20/30 years ago. Virtually everything about it has changed. Everything. And along with that the fabric of society has changed beyond recognition.

Sorry, but your observations aren’t thought provoking. They’re borderline xenophobic.
I havent compared it to 20-30 years ago, I'm comparing the support in the ground to even 4-5 years ago.

I know how much it has changed, I've had a season ticket for the last 37 years.

If you look at the fan footage outside the ground before the game, it bears out what I said and bear in mind I did ask a question.