MP's are thick

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Why not let all the farmers open there gates and let people roam in amongst sheep and cattle aswell, that woman has to one of the most irritating politicians I've come across, there are a few but shes up there

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
That is one MP, and she certainly isn't typical of MPs so I wouldn't judge the 600+ of them based on this.

I don't agree with her or a number of points she raises, but for what it is worth, she also isn't thick.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Why not open up all the National Trust parkland, or Private Estates etc. Let's suppose she pushes it through and someone agrees that all golf courses are fair game for walkies during Covid. What happens after, when the golf courses are free to open up again and all these people that have been walking their dogs, allowing them to foul on the land etc. are suddenly told, no, you can't walk here, it's private land and we've got our golfers playing again. They'll obviously cease immediately won't they? How about the fact that I pay a lot of money to make use of the land that the club owns, presumably, she's going to pay it all back, because I clearly can't play golf if there's people strolling across the fairway. Maybe my thoughts are just a bit narrow minded, but this is a dumb idea in my mind.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Why not open up all the National Trust parkland, or Private Estates etc. Let's suppose she pushes it through and someone agrees that all golf courses are fair game for walkies during Covid. What happens after, when the golf courses are free to open up again and all these people that have been walking their dogs, allowing them to foul on the land etc. are suddenly told, no, you can't walk here, it's private land and we've got our golfers playing again. They'll obviously cease immediately won't they? How about the fact that I pay a lot of money to make use of the land that the club owns, presumably, she's going to pay it all back, because I clearly can't play golf if there's people strolling across the fairway. Maybe my thoughts are just a bit narrow minded, but this is a dumb idea in my mind.
Or the repair for all the damage that will occur whilst this is happening?
Or that you will get morons on the course who will carry out gratuitous damage to the course just for the hell of it?
Or that people are working on the course with dangerous equipment?
Or that hazardous chemicals may be present on parts of the course?
Or the fact this is in fact PRIVATE land?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's the best thought through idea (including policing to stop people just playing golf) nor do I necessarily rule out another agenda but I think the responses here are a bit over the top especially as I'm assuming it's proposed with the Government guidance of local exercise in mind. Isn't the old course free for people to roam every Sunday and I thought Wimbledon was on public land as well, so these courses seem to manage to let others walk it without being completely destroyed. Presumably greens could be fenced off, and greenkeepers allowed to continue working.

I very much doubt many people will want to take a day trip to walk around a golf course (except golfers!) but if you have a course surrounded by houses you may have some (probably older adults) who would prefer to walk around them (being respectful) than on the roads or other spaces if no parks are close by. Potentially has the upside of getting more popping in for Sunday lunch say when clubhouses open for those that accept visitors.

It's also interesting seeing the distinction being made of private land, yet I expect the majority of golf courses are utilising the furlough scheme for bar staff, pro shop, green keepers etc so would it be completely out of order to give a little back?

Still a rather pointless petition given national trust properties are all closed currently (after originally opening up gardens for everyone) so as not to have Covid issues or encourage people out the house, and I remain of the view they could potentially open up for golfers in due course if lockdown is relaxed in the future.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
pleant hear already doing this anyway around here. looked at the Nairn webcam yesterday and the car park was full and riding though the kings on my bike today that was pretty full of people wondering around on the course,