MP-52's

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does anybody on here use MP-52's?

I made what in hindsight was a mistake in having my clubs messed with and I'm not completely happy with them.
Our pro shop has a set of used MP-52's in very good condition for less than what I think I could get selling mine.

I'm very tempted but just wondering if the forum had an opinion on them?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to have them and really liked them. I got arthritus in the hips and struggled with them so sold them and bought TM Burner graphites. When I had one hip replaced I regretted selling mine as I regained the power that I had lost in the legs and then didnt like the MP53's as much and finally bought new Titleist AP2's

If they are "used" in the Pro shop he will be delighted if you take them out on test - go on you kmow you want to!

Chris

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a set and think they are the dogs boll*cks. Played with a mate today, and he had just bought a new set off the peg, for just over £300 (3-pw). You should be able to get a good deal, now they are 'old stock' Think they are aimed at 7-14 handicaps, although this is of course very general.

donutwheels

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have had them for over a year. Excellent clubs with classic looks. Amazing soft buttery feel and consistency in distance. Is usually a club shorter than GI irons.

I think where they really excel is using the short irons for chip and pitch shots. The feedback is amazing and easy to feel the trajectory control.

They do dent slightly as the metal is softer.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have AP2's now and love them. If I could swop them for the same with PX5.5 shafts I would.

The MP-52's look very similar to AP2 with the small cavity at the bottom, so thought they wouldn't be too much of a change.

I think I'll ring the club in the morning and if he still has them take them for 9 in the afternoon.

10 minutes after I saw them today, someone took them out for a test run in the comp. He scored 24pts so I don't think he'll be buying them although I could be wrong. I hope not.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had them with PX 5.5 Shafts in them nice clubs but i didn't get on with them ,when i hit a good shot you heard the ball fizzing thru the air ,nice.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only thing I'm unsure of is the shaft, S300. When I bought my AP2's the PX felt so much nicer than TTDG, but lots of people say the PX feel dead.

Just hoping he still has them tomorrow.

I think HTL had PX6.0 in his, though I could be wrong.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello all, I had MP58 with 6.0 shafts.

5.5 is like the true temper S300 shaft.

The 52 are good clubs, what you do to your AP2?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello all, I had MP58 with 6.0 shafts.

5.5 is like the true temper S300 shaft.

The 52 are good clubs, what you do to your AP2?

Had them soft stepped, so my PX6.0 should play like about 5.6-5.7.

I'm sure it's all in my head but they just don't feel right now, even good hits feel slightly bad. Maybe just taking time to get used to the softer flex but you know when something's in your head it niggles away at you.

Can't believe your ex-partner of 38 years got your clubs wrong. :eek:

Do you feel hurt? ;)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not hurt mate just dissapointed in him. Not that im bitter but he still owes me a beer for my efforts in the comp we won at Ascot.

Have I told you about it?..........

I was 175 away from the green, 4 foot back from a massive bunker edge, pulled out my 7 iron and creamed it to 6 foot, sunk it in two for a 4 and 3 points.

It really is true - the older you get the better you were.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not hurt mate just dissapointed in him. Not that im bitter but he still owes me a beer for my efforts in the comp we won at Ascot.

Have I told you about it?..........

I was 175 away from the green, 4 foot back from a massive bunker edge, pulled out my 7 iron and creamed it to 6 foot, sunk it in two for a 4 and 3 points.

It really is true - the older you get the better you were.

Beer is there anytime you want to pop up and claim it matey. That shot was thing of beauty, Murphesque in execution. The putt was dead weight and never missing. Glory days!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well the guy that took them out for a round and had 24pts has bought them. :eek:
Bugger.

The pro said he'd 'keep an eye out' for me. Rang me this morning to say he'd found somewhere with an ex-demo set of MP-57's with S300 shafts in. Great, I'll try them tomorrow.

Phone went again 30 minutes later. The Mizuno rep had gone to pick them up and they'd been sold. :(
Bugger.

Now I'm waiting on another phone call to see if my Pro and the Mizuno rep between them can find anything else suitable at the right price, so sitting here at work with everything crossed.

I was also offered MP-68 black nickel but they were new and although it was a good price it was more than I could afford to spend, ie. zip!
Bugger.