Moving to Scotland - advice please.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Hi everyone. Yep I'm still alive!! :)

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll know if I'm moving to Scotland, well Glasgow to be more precise ish.

I need some straight advice on areas to live as I don't have a clue.

The office is west of Glasgow between Glasgow and Paisley just south of the M8. It would be great to be within 10 / 20 minutes rush hour drive of the office though.

I'm not keen on city centre living, nightclubbing isn't my thing anymore. Though views of the coast and mountains would be lovely. Just looking for a two bed flat, nothing fancy, but must have safe parking. So any area has to 'feel' safe for this southern softie!!

Any advice on areas to look at, or areas to avoid? I was thinking of Paisley or Renfrew?

Many thanks in advance.
Graham

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I would cross both of those off your list TBH; Have a look at some of the outlying villages, Bishopton, Langbank, Houston would be good starters.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
First up, don't bother with paisley or Renfrew as you'd effectively be city living but not necessarily in a good way!

The villages Stevie mentions are quiet, decent places for families, possibly a bit dull. That might suit your wishes although I'm not sure how many 2 bed flats would be available in these places.

If you end up looking at more urban areas you'd want to be on either the west end or south side of Glasgow. South side is a bit cheaper and you wouldn't have to battle the Clyde tunnel to get to work.... Shawlands would be a good area to look.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
First up, don't bother with paisley or Renfrew as you'd effectively be city living but not necessarily in a good way!

The villages Stevie mentions are quiet, decent places for families, possibly a bit dull. That might suit your wishes although I'm not sure how many 2 bed flats would be available in these places.

If you end up looking at more urban areas you'd want to be on either the west end or south side of Glasgow. South side is a bit cheaper and you wouldn't have to battle the Clyde tunnel to get to work.... Shawlands would be a good area to look.

I like Shawlands FD, some decent pubs and eateries but always thought it a bit over-priced - and the parking is a 'mare. Giffnock is nice but a lengthier commute (time wise).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One of my staff lives in Newton Mearns, and he's a golfer. Its between 5 & 10 miles out, just off the M77. Very nice area, unlike where a couple of others live.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would second what stevie says.
The traffic is not like South of England, you can generally get around quite well.
I would move out to the villages, they don't have the property premiums like SoE.
Port Glasgow area seems to be on the way up, used to be a rough area but lots of new developments happening there now.
Glasgow is a good city, lots going on.

Good train links if that is an option. You can travel from Troon to Paisley in about 30 mins, decent priced fares as well.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would second what stevie says.
The traffic is not like South of England, you can generally get around quite well.
I would move out to the villages, they don't have the property premiums like SoE.
Port Glasgow area seems to be on the way up, used to be a rough area but lots of new developments happening there now.
Glasgow is a good city, lots going on.

Good train links if that is an option. You can travel from Troon to Paisley in about 30 mins, decent priced fares as well.

Lol! For the avoidance of doubt.... DO NOT move to the port! Up and coming or not!!

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep.

Thanks all for the advice, keep it coming.
Ta.

Hillington has two train stations, so a train commute could also be a decent option dependent on where your office is on the park.

I suppose budget is a big consideration, are you looking to buy or let? If letting then what you are budgeting for a flat may well get you a two bed house somewhere. Have you had a look at this site?

http://www.s1homes.com/

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Hillington has two train stations, so a train commute could also be a decent option dependent on where your office is on the park.

I suppose budget is a big consideration, are you looking to buy or let? If letting then what you are budgeting for a flat may well get you a two bed house somewhere. Have you had a look at this site?

http://www.s1homes.com/

Thanks Stevie.

I should know by the end of the week if I'll need to move. Fingers crossed. Though a little research can't hurt.

Renting initially. As It'll me and a car full of gear that'll only be moving, so probably somewhere furnished. As usual I want cheap, but a nice isn, area. I need to save to be able to fly south regularly to see me kids.