Move to premium balls?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I did it at the start of this year. A couple of main reasons.
1. I watched a lot of content that basically said premium balls are just better in every way - urethane cover helps you stop the ball on the green, and the ball I've selected (Bridgestone RX) carries further for me than any so-called cheaper 'distance' ball I've tried in the past, so it does seem to be best of both worlds so far.
2. I don't really lose balls anymore. Since the last lockdown I've played 16 rounds and only lost two balls (one of which was provisional I didn't even bother looking for). The Bridgestone is not as expensive as the ProV1 and some of the others either, so I'm happy to pay for them now, safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to rinse through them too quickly.
3. I really liked how Bridgestone have a premium ball aimed at slower swing speeds. I don't think I ever would have gone for a ProV1 for example as I don't think it's for the likes of me anyway. But I know the RX should suit me and what I want to get out of it.

Interesting is that. Especially point 3. Will give them a go.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Price for me - I find it painful to part with £40-50 for a dozen only to eventually lose the things! Don't get me wrong I love a pro V1/Chrome soft/TP5 PIX but at £20 a dozen the supersoft is good value for me and not a bad ball to game with.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm a Lake Ball/2nd Hand fan - via Ebay. Value is sooo much better than new and I'm confident in the ratings of a couple of suppliers.
Last lot purchased were from a 'Private' supplier as stock was obviously not available from US. The were also as per listing so I'm content with taking a punt occasionally.
I normally only buy near perfect ones and the supplier I use most has been 'happy' to replace any I've (very rarely) deemed below the specified quality. I used to buy from a local guy, but he stopped that business.
I've gone off ProVs as I don't much like their 'feel' and, as THE premium ball, are premium cost. My preferred ball is the NXT Tour S Yellow. It seems a tiny bit, but noticeable,softer than the White version, but that's also suitable.
I've still got a supply of Srixon Distance for Winter use that I got at an excellent price.
To me, it's relatively important that a ball 'feels' right - off Driver, Irons/Wedges and Putter. Srixon AD333s have always felt a bit of a rock to me - and the 'Soft' version was weird for distance (Driver 15 yards shorter than expected; Irons 10 yards longer!) and just 'dead' off the putter!
The Q-Star Tour Soft was pretty similar to the NXT Tour Soft (for me), so have happily used them too.

sunshine

Visit site
My preferred ball is the NXT Tour S Yellow.

Do they even make this any more?

Nothing wrong with older models. Last year I found a bag of Nike RZN and 20XI golf balls at the back of a cupboard. I used them over the summer and they were lovely.

sunshine

Visit site
I really liked how Bridgestone have a premium ball aimed at slower swing speeds. I don't think I ever would have gone for a ProV1 for example as I don't think it's for the likes of me anyway. But I know the RX should suit me and what I want to get out of it.

I think this is what the Titleist AVX and Taylormade Tour Response offer as well. Premium ball for amateurs.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do they even make this any more?

Nothing wrong with older models. Last year I found a bag of Nike RZN and 20XI golf balls at the back of a cupboard. I used them over the summer and they were lovely.
Maybe not - but certainly availabe as Lakeballs

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think this is what the Titleist AVX and Taylormade Tour Response offer as well. Premium ball for amateurs.

The AVX is my current ball of choice. The best thing about it is not many others want it. So its cheaper than the ProV1 from the guy I buy my balls from.

sunshine

Visit site
Love the tour response. I’m still playing prov1s that were a gift at Christmas but as soon as they’re gone, I’ll be back to that.

TM fitter told me the tour response was basically identical to the Pro V1. Both 3 piece urethane balls.

The results of this test show otherwise: TaylorMade Tour Response vs Titleist Pro V1 golf balls | Today's Golfer (todaysgolfer.co.uk)

I feel it's ok to post a non-GM article on here because it is a dreadful article and ignores the fact that the Pro V1 generates much more spin which is very useful for wedges and approach shots.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have not tried the Tour Response but the AVX is nothing like a Bridgestone Tour B330RX (my preferred ball in winter) unless the new version has changed it's flight characteristics.

Mandofred

Visit site
I am still using Wilson dx2, i find lakeballs are like hitting a brick and prov1 are nt much better. At the end of the day it comes down to your swing speed the lower the swing the softer the ball.
Hey ya.....I just pulled out a sleeve of these balls that have been sitting there for over a year.....hit them just fine and was thinking about buying some more....the price is right.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they are, they certainly haven't been marketed that way, well not the AVX anyway I don't think. Whereas Bridgestone explicitly states what each of their four premium balls is for.

sunshine

Visit site
If they are, they certainly haven't been marketed that way, well not the AVX anyway I don't think. Whereas Bridgestone explicitly states what each of their four premium balls is for.

If you look on the titleist website you can see the AVX is clearly marketed differently and aimed at amateurs, whereas the pro V1 and pro V1X are marketed as the preferred balls of tour players.

Titleist AVX | Buy Titleist AVX Golf Balls | Titleist

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
All depends how long your premium branded ball has sat in a lake for soaking up water.
At the end off the day it is all down to personal preference and what works for you and how much you are prepared to loose on a wayward drive.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really disagree!

Pro V1 and the AVX last really long and for me at least, their durability is excellent.

I like other premium balls, like z star, but durability is way down on Titleist.

I did a test last few weeks, played two rounds with a new Pro V1 and a new Q Star Tour.
After the two rounds the Q Star is visibly whiter than the Pro V which has a dull dirty look to the cover (2019 model I think).

The Pro V cover doesn't show any impact marks though whereas the Q Star you can see some "teeth marks" from my wedges.

Performance to price I am really impressed by the Q Star. Sightly softer off the putter but over all a very, very good ball. £24 a dozen in my pro shop just now.

Boomy

Visit site
All depends how long your premium branded ball has sat in a lake for soaking up water.
At the end off the day it is all down to personal preference and what works for you and how much you are prepared to loose on a wayward drive.

Soaking up water ?? Do you use premium branded sponge balls!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Soaking up water ?? Do you use premium branded sponge balls!
All balls soak up water if they are immersed for a period of time.
Some suggestions are that as little as 12 hours is enough to change the playing characteristics of a ball.
Whether that translates into a loss of performance that is acceptable is personal preference but immersion does change the ball.

Boomy

Visit site
All balls soak up water if they are immersed for a period of time.
Some suggestions are that as little as 12 hours is enough to change the playing characteristics of a ball.
Whether that translates into a loss of performance that is acceptable is personal preference but immersion does change the ball.

Quoted straight from an article, by a golf ball company that wants you to buy new balls from them. Of course golf ball producers want you to believe that a golf ball soaks up water and it’s always best to buy new.

Some suggestions are also that it makes no difference at all them having been in water. Especially with the way a modern golf ball is produced. I’ve certainly never had any waterlogged lake balls.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I’ve actually gone the other way. Always played a ProV1 but couldn’t loft my fairway woods/long irons so tried the AD333Tour (don’t think it’s premium) and got loads more spin without losing anything. Nothing really to do with price but no negatives with it. They’ve now been replaced by the Q Star so going to get some of them and hope they’re similar. Where I play you’re really doing well to lose a ball so hoping to keep the 333s in play for a while.