Motorbikes

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got the urge to get another bike, havent had one for thirty years now.

Do you have a Motorbike and if so what is it?

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As an all rounder it takes some beating. Very good reviews, responds better to lower gears & higher revs. V twins aren't everybody's cup of tea, but if you like them I'd recommend it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Although I don't have one now I returned to bikes in 2010 after only dabbling for 25 years. I did about half dozen sessions at the local CBT school to find my feet again. The sessions were on battered and abused Suzuki Bandits. I then bought a Honda VFR 800... wow! Ran it for a few years then bought a Triumph Street Triple R. It was a proper hooligan's bike, and I rode it like I'd stolen it. TBH, its the main reason I finally jacked it in. I would have killed myself eventually. But I wished I'd kept the VFR. Smooth as silk and just ate up the miles. The V-Tec engine was amazing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a day looking around the National Motorcycle Musieum and came across a James, exactly the same as my first bike in 1965.
IMG-20190313-WA0002.jpg

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Owned since '78, after my Bonneville got nicked, & been 7years at Hebden Bridge..... away for a refurb with the local Norton guy.... gonna come back a good working bike..... the way they should be.

Norton 2 2015 small.jpg

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I got back into bikes around 2000 I purchased a Honda VFR750. Great bike, kept it a couple of years and then changed it for the later 800Fi version. I then changed again to the later V-Tec model but didn't really get on with that.
Traded that in for a brand new Kawasaki ZZR1200 in 2006, had it for 6 months, absolutely hated it. For a "tourer" it wasn't that comfortable. I then purchased what turned out to be the best bike I've ever owned. Kawasaki ZZR1400.
I loved that bike. Docile around town, but once it hit 6,000 revs it took off. Warp factor 10 Mr Sulu. I lost a couple of good friends to accidents during the time I had it, including a girl I knew from Rye. She as a policewoman based in Ashford (Kent) and was killed riding to work one morning. Attended her funeral and kind of lost the passion after that. Kept the bike another 6 months, and then sold it. I'd had my fun, and got away with it. I miss it every now and then, but the wife was really happy when I gave it up.
Brands.jpgScotland Bike.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I grew up with bikes, had my first scrambler aged 4, raced schoolboy moto-x, our facility holiday during the 80's and early 90's was to the Isle of Man so my dad could race sidecars (Even more stupid than bikes!) But, similar to Rob, I have been to too many funerals, and know too many widows or kids with no Dad. I gave up riding on the road when I got banned for dangerous driving on my GSXR around 2003. I raced for 3 years, then jacked it all in and picked up golf! When the visor went down, my common sense level also went down, I was an idiot! I never had an accident and during the not being a door knob moments, I was a very safe rider and in fact, I think it has made me a better car driver, I can spot someone trying to spoil my day and crash into me / step out etc from 300 yards+ now!

I would love another bike though, I fancy a decent enduro/moto-x or even a superMoto, nothing quick enough to kill me or put me in prison...

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Sold this one about 8 years ago and not had one since. Miss it now and then but wasn't riding enough to justify buying another. Rode as a teen then stopped when my best friend was killed (and I was lucky not to be his pillion that day). In my 40s I got into bikes again, mainly to commute to work through a busy town.
Now retired and did wonder if i would want another now I have more time, but have resisted so far. This thread won't help me :LOL:
View attachment 31882View attachment 31882

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have a Deauville 700. Better in some respects than the 650 I had previously and not as good in others. As legs are shorter than 'normal' for height, getting leg over is a bit trickier. 650 was easier but significantly less grunt. First bike that's happened on - even the biggest (Suzuki GS1000) I had was fine! Did a bit of 'Club' racing but never had the (killer?) instinct required to get anywhere. a couple of guys (John Boote and Stu Avant) from the same 2ndry school DID though. I fondly remember the Velocette 350 or 500 starting that disturbed our Maths lessons a couple of times a week! There was even a w/c LE 200 but that hardly made any sound!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been riding for almost 50 years and competed in most types of competition from speedway to trials.

An insurance assesor told me most powerful bikes are bought by old gits and about a third are written off because the power and handling are so different to when the old gits were young.

Take time to get used to it
Try a few track days.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had bikes for years in my younger days, then raced moto-x for a few years, until the old bones started to find the ground a bit too hard. Currently have two road bikes, a Fireblade for when the little lady wants to join me and an Aprilia RSV4 RF for solo blasts. trying to hang on to the superbikes until the body starts to complain too much again.

IMG_0426a.jpg

IMG_4785a.jpg

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am not really thinking of a very big or fast bike, more something I could potter around on and maybe go out for a bit of a run now and then. When I see how reckless many seem to ride I'm not surprised at why there are accidents. I quite like the mix of old look and modern tech some bikes have.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not really thinking of a very big or fast bike, more something I could potter around on and maybe go out for a bit of a run now and then. When I see how reckless many seem to ride I'm not surprised at why there are accidents. I quite like the mix of old look and modern tech some bikes have.

Definitely look at a modern retro styled bike then? Best of both worlds (y)

But even a moderately powered bike has the potential to travel crazily fast compared to most cars, which often makes car drivers assume bikers are driving recklessly (I realise some do ride badly of course), what would be a very risky overtake in a car, pretty much any car, can be taken very safely with just a short burst of throttle on a bike. Ultimately it's all about the right wrist, I can potter around at 30 mph in top gear on the Fireblade but it has the potential to do 100 mph in first gear.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Hats off to you guys ?
I can appreciate a good looking bike, but they scare the daylights out of me.
I visit Matlock Bath regularly; one of THE places for bikers to congregate.
Fascinating place to see hundreds of bikes parading through the town.