Motorbikes

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Late seventies now, and not really wanting to return to bikes- but when I had one I really enjoyed them.
First one, at 16, was a Bantam 150, brown not green, limited edition. Now told it would be worth quite a bit.
Anyway, I rode it one day from Bournemouth to Blackpool,(phew) and a week later, the return journey. Before there were motorways.
Finished up with a Honda 400/4. Lovely bike.
Those were the days!

Do like to see some of the modern ones. Powerful, or what?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had bikes for years in my younger days, then raced moto-x for a few years, until the old bones started to find the ground a bit too hard. Currently have two road bikes, a Fireblade for when the little lady wants to join me and an Aprilia RSV4 RF for solo blasts. trying to hang on to the superbikes until the body starts to complain too much again.

View attachment 31885

View attachment 31887

I gave up competitions, there comes a point when you notice that bouncing off and gravel rash takes longer to repair.

I'd also admit my riding style changed to one where I try and occupy the carriageway and force drivers to realise I'm there.

Funnily enough I almost prefer riding when its reasonably busy as when road are quiet drivers tend to pullout and not see bikers ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Been riding for almost 50 years and competed in most types of competition from speedway to trials.

An insurance assesor told me most powerful bikes are bought by old gits and about a third are written off because the power and handling are so different to when the old gits were young.

Take time to get used to it
Try a few track days.

Tried that a coupe of times but completely alien to a dyed-in-ythe-wool road rider. Somewhere on the back straight at Mildenhall there used to be a BiM shaped dent... :oops: :LOL:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Late seventies now, and not really wanting to return to bikes- but when I had one I really enjoyed them.
First one, at 16, was a Bantam 150, brown not green, limited edition. Now told it would be worth quite a bit.
Anyway, I rode it one day from Bournemouth to Blackpool,(phew) and a week later, the return journey. Before there were motorways.
Finished up with a Honda 400/4. Lovely bike.
Those were the days!

Do like to see some of the modern ones. Powerful, or what?

My second bike, Oct '78. Added Girling gas shocks and a decent front light. Then got a Yoshi big bore kit and a loud exhaust. Cracking bike.

1596659729891.png

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tried that a coupe of times but completely alien to a dyed-in-ythe-wool road rider. Somewhere on the back straight at Mildenhall there used to be a BiM shaped dent... :oops::LOL:

Yup, I remember a few 'quick' squirts on my way to lecture the USAF guys early on Sunday mornings .(y)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
U

User62651

We had a little 50cc knocking about for a year we used to take to the local woods when I was 11 or 12, then got a 125 Yamaha DT around age 22 as a starter thinking I'd get into it and it'd save me money. Didn't really, just felt unsafe with HGVs etc on the roads, plugged away but I wasn't a natural so didn't get the bug and decided I didn't enjoy it or the faff with helmets, jackets and gloves and being freezing so packed it in for 4 wheels. The risks to me just seemed overly high and I wouldn't say I was risk averse by nature. My next door neighbours daughter got life changingly mangled as a pillion rider in LA which might have been a factor. Sort of glad I didn't get hooked. I think we all know or know of several bikers who didn't make it. Only been on quad bikes occassionally the last 28 years.:cautious:

Respect to you all though.(y)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Last bike I had was a Honda VFR750F but haven't had one now for over 20 years and missus is very anti-me getting another one. :(
main.jpg

I loved that bike, it's general all-round ability and the fact it could scratch, go fast, and I could use it when I used to be an instructor. The only issue was the rear cylinders were right underneath the seat and on hot days it could be a tad warm on the nether regions.

We go to the MotoGP every year and I saw a white Triumph Thruxton and just loved the simplicity of its lines.
6000000001.jpg

You never lose the "itch" for riding a bike and I see some of my old instructor pals going on biking holidays on Facebook and really wish I was doing it as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I grew up with bikes, had my first scrambler aged 4, raced schoolboy moto-x, our facility holiday during the 80's and early 90's was to the Isle of Man so my dad could race sidecars (Even more stupid than bikes!) But, similar to Rob, I have been to too many funerals, and know too many widows or kids with no Dad. I gave up riding on the road when I got banned for dangerous driving on my GSXR around 2003. I raced for 3 years, then jacked it all in and picked up golf! When the visor went down, my common sense level also went down, I was an idiot! I never had an accident and during the not being a door knob moments, I was a very safe rider and in fact, I think it has made me a better car driver, I can spot someone trying to spoil my day and crash into me / step out etc from 300 yards+ now!

I would love another bike though, I fancy a decent enduro/moto-x or even a superMoto, nothing quick enough to kill me or put me in prison...
My view entirely. Been there done that, major crash that still causes issues 35 years later. Love bikes but would never buy another.

And yes, motorcyclists make the best drivers without a doubt ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only browsing but the 400F's seem to be a collector's bike.

?

I always fancied a single.pot chugger but never got.round to owning one.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Only browsing but the 400F's seem to be a collector's bike.

?

A few years back a guy bought all of Honda's stock of spare parts for the 400F's. As well as supplying parts for those who have one, he built a number from his stock of parts. He was getting a very good price for them. They were great bikes without being tweaked, as long as you remembered to change the cam chain before 20k miles. And tweaked, wow!