MOT Question...

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had my Mondeo serviced a couple of months back at the ford garage, last one before warranty runs out.

The car has tyre pressure monitors that tell you the pressure of each tyre on the dash display however, when getting a tyre changed one of them snapped (a regular occurrence as cheaply made I'm told).

One of the advisory notes from the service was that the monitor would have to be replaced or it would fail its MOT....

I questioned how this could be the case given that cars without these things pass MOT, the response was that it is "an integral part of the car that doesn't work".

Is this correct?

Oh, £100 to have it replaced there hence my scepticism!

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Take out the bulbs!
I know you can't get away with that anymore as all the lights have to work when the car is turned on and then they have to go out.
Funy how a car I've just had MOTd for someone passed with the airbag light lit!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
bmws are worse still for mot and services,i bought a 3 year old 320 for a second car and was told it had a been serviced and was shown the service lights on the dash as well as an invoice,first mot came and the mechanic said my car was in dire need of a full service after i told him i had not long had the car and it had been serviced he laughed then told me that it was common for a chap to just re-set the service lights etc with a laptop at a cost of £40,full service at a bm garage including new brake pads £487!!! i was gutted,the garage who sold me the car said they bought it in and was sold in good faith and offered me 3 free valets!!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
bmws are worse still for mot and services,i bought a 3 year old 320 for a second car and was told it had a been serviced and was shown the service lights on the dash as well as an invoice,first mot came and the mechanic said my car was in dire need of a full service after i told him i had not long had the car and it had been serviced he laughed then told me that it was common for a chap to just re-set the service lights etc with a laptop at a cost of £40,full service at a bm garage including new brake pads £487!!! i was gutted,the garage who sold me the car said they bought it in and was sold in good faith and offered me 3 free valets!!!

It's not limited to BMW's. On most cars (BMs included) you don't even need a laptop to reset the service interval.
Brake pad change would have cost the most out of your bill probably as these are not done as part of the interval service (oil, filters and fluids only).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My own fitter at work does my aging Merc and resets the service interval display. Haynes manuals tells you how to do this

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing works on my BMW. Honestly, it's like a bad day at Blackpool.

Never been failed on anything like this. As for the service light, it takes 10 seconds to put it out. Don't need to spend 1p.

Sharp practise. :(