Powakaddy damaged LCD glass screens...be warned!

bradleywedge

Visit site
Just thought I'd update this thread.

Rang Powakaddy yesterday as I decided to order the new screen and handle as the cracks in mine were getting worse. They have been covered and held together with Gorilla tape, but cracks started to expand, so thought better get it sorted now.

Imagine my surprise when they said the cost of the new handle and screen would be now £28!!!

They had previously informed me in April it would be £96 for the handle and screen alone if I was prepared to fit it.

So that's the news anyway, Needless to say I ordered one so it should be here next week. If anyone else is in need of a replacement screen now is the time to buy from them.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just thought I'd update this thread.

Rang Powakaddy yesterday as I decided to order the new screen and handle as the cracks in mine were getting worse. They have been covered and held together with Gorilla tape, but cracks started to expand, so thought better get it sorted now.

Imagine my surprise when they said the cost of the new handle and screen would be now £28!!!

They had previously informed me in April it would be £96 for the handle and screen alone if I was prepared to fit it.

So that's the news anyway, Needless to say I ordered one so it should be here next week. If anyone else is in need of a replacement screen now is the time to buy from them.

I'd have ordered more than 1 in case it's a mistake.

PeterS

Visit site
Hi. Interested in this conversation. The photograph shown in the initial comment replicates the screen on my CT6. I have no idea what caused the initial chipping on the front edge of the LCD screen. I have not struck it when replacing/removing clubs in the bag; not struck it against any objects and kept in bag. It has now developed a crack across the screen and the display is also being affected.
Unlike the originator of this thread who principally complained about cost of spares I bought my CT6 circa May 2021 and would make the comment that either the design or manufacture of this component is not fit for purpose.

Peter

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi. Interested in this conversation. The photograph shown in the initial comment replicates the screen on my CT6. I have no idea what caused the initial chipping on the front edge of the LCD screen. I have not struck it when replacing/removing clubs in the bag; not struck it against any objects and kept in bag. It has now developed a crack across the screen and the display is also being affected.
Unlike the originator of this thread who principally complained about cost of spares I bought my CT6 circa May 2021 and would make the comment that either the design or manufacture of this component is not fit for purpose.

Peter
How is it not fit for purpose? It's a golf trolley, not a punch bag.
Just admit you messed up and struck it, we've all done things like that.
I did the same to a Golfbuddy GPS screen in the boot of the car.It was my fault I put the golf bag in on top of the GPS, and my fault the GPS was only 2 weeks old.
I'm sure if your trolley screen was made of armoured glass in an aluminium body you wouldn't have bought it as too expensive.
Accept your mistake, thats life and we all make them:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The screen on my powercaddy cracked last winter with no outside interference other than possibley cold temps. I did enquire about a repair from the local dealer, but that involved replacing the handle rather than just the plastic screen.
I just stuck some clear tape over the screen which has stopped it getting worse.
It doesn't inhibit the screen even though its the GPS version.

I'll prob change it in a few years anyway so no hardship.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The plastic screen came off my power caddy trolly. I left it in the bag for ages. Finally got round to applying super glue and sticking it back on during a heatwave. The heat caused the glue to mist the screen. I now cant see a thing but the screen is in place.

Like and follow for more complete school boy errors. :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The plastic screen came off my power caddy trolly. I left it in the bag for ages. Finally got round to applying super glue and sticking it back on during a heatwave. The heat caused the glue to mist the screen. I now cant see a thing but the screen is in place.

Like and follow for more complete school boy errors. :)
Drill a tiny hole in the screen corner,( very carefully)
This lets the moisture out, when clear get some sort of rubber bung to fill the hole.
If it steams up again you might have a water leak.

This method is used in double glazing missed panes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Drill a tiny hole in the screen corner,( very carefully)
This lets the moisture out, when clear get some sort of rubber bung to fill the hole.
If it steams up again you might have a water leak.

This method is used in double glazing missed panes.

Welcome to my new series of things I should never have attempted. :)

Going at my trolly with a drill is only going to end up one way. I could prise off the screen. Clean it and put it back on. I'm also lazy. Thanks for the tip though. :)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Went to play golf on Saturday, took my Powakaddy CT6 out of the car set it up then proceeded to the putting area. At some point between my trolley being taken out of the car and me putting my putter back into the bag after putting the LCD screen has been badly damaged with a big crack in the glass. I have no idea how this has happened, I looked at the screen when I took it out of the car and didn't notice it pushing it to the putting area, so it must have been damaged there.

Anyway, I thought a simple replacement glass would do the trick, I emailed powakaddy and obviously even though the trolley is only 7 months old it wouldn't be covered by the warranty as it was screen damage. They said the whole handle would have to be replaced and referred me to a local service agent.

I have been quoted £120 to have the handle replaced! Totally gobsmacked to be honest that they cant just replace the glass screen without the whole handle. Its not something I can actually afford at the moment (thinking of setting up a just giving page!), but it needs repairing so no alternative really.

Just be aware of this if anyone is contemplating buying one of these from Powakaddy.

edd63bdf54ee932fcd90cff609818319db481f7a.jpg
Google powakaddy spare parts and you might find a supplier with one off a reclaimed trolley. Much cheaper than powakaddy. I did my bear box on my old powakaddy EBS trolley via a cheap spare part and a YouTube video.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For those of you that think glass “ just does not break” and it needs physical contact to crack or shatter glass.
Google “ exploding shower screens”. The thought process is that temperature change does it. No different to a trolley screen. ?
Many years ago shower glass makers denied there were such problems. Now they admit that they do explode but are not sure they know why apart from temperature ?