Most you have paid for a round of golf ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I paid about £120'ish when I played the Grove in the Back on Black competition a couple of years ago. I got a free buggy, food & a pint. Plus, we were really well looked after.
I'm thinking of entering again this year.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I paid about £120'ish when I played the Grove in the Back on Black competition a couple of years ago. I got a free buggy, food & a pint. Plus, we were really well looked after.
I'm thinking of entering again this year.

Just had a look at that, and it looks awesome. Could well be up for entering that this year, would be good if we could get a couple from here on one of the days?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had a look at that, and it looks awesome. Could well be up for entering that this year, would be good if we could get a couple from here on one of the days?

I've been tempted by this comp too but don't think I'll be able to make it this time around, about run out of days out for 2014, but I will keep an eye on this to see if it does get off and running.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I paid £115 for the Old Course at St Andrews in 2005 , I paid more for Valderama , about 200 Euros and then there was Loch Lomond , that was totally priceless .........................................EYG

Most I've paid for a round of golf in the UK is £40 for Loch Lomond back in the mid nineties when the only way you could get on was as a guest or your club coming out of the SGU ballot - that included free food and drink as they didn't have a licence back then.

Played the Old Course three times all late 80s early 90s - signed on for £6, paid full price £18 and third one in 1992 was £33.

Normally I'd rather play a course in a competition and Opens up here are really cheap - I'm playing Cruden Bay for £15 this year and could play Royal Dornoch for £30 - you can get a whole week of competition at Dornoch in the Carnegie Shield for about £100.

Mind you if we don't go to Portugal this year then the wife and I will probably go for a weekend at Turnberry which would more than double the most I've played for a round - and I may treat her to the Old Course for her birthday as neither of us are going to be good enough to play in any of the open comps there.

Last edited:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only around £60 that I actually handed over directly, pay £600 every year to go to Spain/Portugal, but that includes hotel, flights and golf I have no idea what amount went where. Paid £185 for Turnberry a couple of years ago but that was 36 holes plus DBB in the hotel.

Couldn't justify to myself (let alone HID) the prices some of these courses get away with charging.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was lucky enough to have played some really good courses either in junior opens a few years ago, or as a guest / competition winner:

Royal Lytham - Junior Open
Hillside - Junior Open
S&A - Junior Open
Formby - 6th form match
Birkdale - guest rate with friend from Uni (£27)
Wentworth West - GM TM day

and many more around the North West.

West Hill at the H4H day was the most I'd paid for a days golfing with everything in, but then again, a large chunk of that was going to charideee and would gladly pay the same again.

Otherwise, I played Frilford Heath in glorious sunshine last week, for £55 which was 36 holes plus bacon butties / tea and lunch. Was incredible value for money and we'll definitely be trying to do that again soon before the summer prices come in.

Not sure if price goes up this year Jim but their county card rate last year was £50 for a day ticket

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£110 at Princes club last summer, refused to pay the toll on the road though, told the guy we were playing in a club comp. That included club hire which consisted of old Callaways and a broken bag, really did not enjoy my day there. On the flip side of this on Golf Now I managed to get Farnham Estate in Cavan recently for €7, which is just ridiculous, that place is magnificent and in my opinion nicer than the Slieve Russell, thats cheaper than a bucket of balls at the range, there are bargains to be had.

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
£30 last year to play the PGA @ The Belfry included coffee and a Bacon roll....was in February and it was a tad fresh.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Most I have paid would be €72 for Quinta do Lago (South) in Portugal with another €20 for a buggy. My back went while putting my shoes on so it's not the best value round I've ever had!

For value......
Played Turnberry (both) on corporate invite including lunch, dinner, drinks. Cost: Price of b&b + petrol
Played Royal Lytham few times in team matches and invite - Cost: Zero

Personally, I wouldn't ever pay upwards of £100 for a round of golf with or without lunch! The exception would be Pebble Beach and Sawgrass should I ever get over there. Truly iconic courses for me and once in lifetime experience so would probably make the exception. As for this country, I'll be entering some Seniors Opens if I make it to 55. cheapest way to play good courses by far.

PS Second everything said about Hillside with the added bonus that I played the best round I've ever played on the day! Now if only I could guarantee playing like that every time I went to a good course......:D

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
120 Euros for San Lorenzo. Lovely course, but I wouldn't have parted with 12 Euros for the customer service, which was appalling.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
£50. its the thing I like least about golf. absolutely no need to be charging such sums for money to walk around a golf course!

daylight robbery some places!

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
£140 to play at Woburn last year on the Dukes course next was the Grove for £70.
other than that, played Loch Lomond and also played Wentworth and Bearwood Lakes last year on a comp.

I couldn't justify spending more than £150 for a round, unless it was at a top course in the States or Valderrama.

Visit site
Me and bro in law were on holiday with the families in Cala d'or and decided to ask at reception if they could arrange a game for us somewhere. We got sorted out with a round at Val d'or golf club . Can't remember what the round itself cost but given that we had to hire all our gear on top of the green fees it worked out we'd spent easily over the £100 mark each. Something we'd probably never have spent back here but on holiday so we didn't bother (still, we didn't mention it to the other halves tho just incase ). It was a while back and can't remember an awful lot about it now other than bloody HOT , but course was really high up and some of the views were superb. Neither of us were playing very much back then so not much "golf" played, but still an enjoyable, if expensive afternoon.

Back home, most spent was £70 (or thereabouts) at Centenary course at Gleneagles for my 30th. Loved the whole set up up there.

Played the Ailsa in November last year for £50 and got lucky with cracking weather on the day, it had poured down for wks leading up to it and for weeks after it too. You'd never have known, the place was unbelievable and well worth the 50 quid.
Hoping they do the same offer this year as we'll definitely be going back there!!!

:thup:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate paid £50 plus £20 for a buggy , and had to come of after the first hole when his hangover got the better of him and was sick as a dog. He also had to pay out around £20 in bets that he had been made. So £90 for one hole I think that's expensive.. :rofl:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
About 80 quid for a round plus club hire at a Gary Player course in Morocco. Nice course, lovely weather and all that but not really worth it. Especially as my playing partner had a gammy foot and by the end he could hardly walk or hit the ball, so it was more a case of getting to the end of the round as quickly as possible.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm on a mission to play all (or as many as I can get on) of the top 100 which isn't going to be cheap :confused: